Best HeadPhones for general studio purposes?

mhshoops99

I have a set of The newest Event Monitors so I'm not looking mix through the headphones yet I'm looking for a very nice pair to accompany them in the studio. Any Suggestions?

Most people seem to like Sennheiser or SONY. I prefer Sennheiser HD280's to pretty much everything out there. Comfortable to wear, good isolation, sound good, reasonably durable.-Richie

BeyerDynamic DT 770 - they offer incredible isolation, so you get virtually no spill whatsoever from the 'phones into your mic. they also offer like 20dB of attenuating of outside sources, so it's goo if you're tracking drums or electric guitars as you can hear the 'phone mix better. they've got huge ear pads so they're VERY comfortable to wear - this was a big issue when i was buying them as i wear glasses and some headphones are SUPER uncomfortable. they're sturdy as fuck - none of this plastic headband bollocks, just nice strong metal..they have a great sound, if a touch bass-heavy.

i've tested them with the above mentioned HD 280's and found them to have signifantly more low end and a less fatiguing high-end. i find the 280s to have a bit of a high-end hype, and found them quite tireing after a while.

but they're not portable at all. the DT770 are big and chunky, don't fold or anything. i use them a lot when i travel - yeh i look like a frickin moron but thats the price for having great sound!

and they're not that expensive.

Another inexpensive option are the Sony MDR V6 or MDR V7506 (Both the same, just the 7506 are newer, dont confuse with the 600, which are bad).

These are cheap, small (relatively), seal sound farily well, quite comfortable, quite flat EQ wise. Overall good choice I would say.

michael_lifshit said:
Another inexpensive option are the Sony MDR V6 or MDR V7506 (Both the same, just the 7506 are newer, dont confuse with the 600, which are bad).
Incorrect. The 600s were the old consumer model number for the same phone. There is no sonic difference between the 600s and the 7506s. I own a 7-yr-old set of 600s and have A/B'd them against brand new 7506s; same headphone.

G.

...never buy without checking AKG. I am now on the 271s and they are comfy, isolate well and sound very good. Personally, I'd still prefer the older 270 model with the dual driver in each ear; they had an amazing soundstage for a pair of cans, but...if nothing else, audition the 271.

Best,
C.

Back