Best, cheapest tuner pedal?

mjbphotos

Seems like the Boss units (TU-2 old model, TU-3 new model) are the most-respected ones out there, but they are also the most expensive (about $60 for a used one $100 for new).
Looking to add a pedal now that I have a preamp pedal with a dedicated output for a tuner. I want something that is easily visible on a dark stage for someone with old eyes (me), and is fairly accurate. The pedals I have seen under $30 all have the same review comments about inaccuracy.

Korg Pitch Black. Better, slicker and cheaper than TU-3 in my opinion. Better visibility in the dark. For example a TU-3 couldn't tune the low C on a five string bass of a friend of mine. The Korg did it without any problems. Also, it's true bypass if that matters to you (which it doesn't really probably since you're using a tuner out connection).

korg-pitchblack.jpg

A friend of mine has the Korg Pitch Black. Very good tuner.

Personally I use a £5 clip on thing I got from Thomann. Works a treat.

It aint cheap, but I use a TC Electronic Polytune. It's as accurate as any I've ever seen, will do guitar or bass, you can do the strum all at once method, it's programmable, and I've personally tested it in bright mid-summer Texas sunshine - it's fully visible with direct overhead sunlight.

I like my old Boss chromatic tuner that has a needle and lights. I find the clip on ones are not accurate enough for my electrics. My friend uses the one that comes with his POD floorboard - it is pretty good too.

Fender makes a pretty solid tuner pedal tuner. I think its the PT-100. I got one on the guitar center used site. Would have been 14 shipped but I had a coupon for 10 bucks. I dare you to find a better pedal for 4 or even 14 dollars.

So I just hand one to each performer going on stage? ;) I should have mentioned that this is mostly for the other poeple getting up at my open mics (although my use, too). Half of them use a clip-on tuner that sucks and don't want to borrow a good one.

Nothing wrong with clip on tuners. You can adapt the q tip quite easily by dipping one end in super glue and sticking it to the headstock...

Got my eye on some Polytunes on fleabay. Don't outbid me!

I use clip-on tuners and like the mini-Korg for accuracy, but some people do not know how to use them, or only check them when they can hear the out-of-tuneness (sometimes it's out by half a semitone by then). The idea of the pedal is that they will have this thing right in front of them showing in the red a lot if they are out of tune. :cool: It'll also means I can stop using a clip-on tuner on my Taylor (although once its in tune, it normally doesn't vary unless the humidity is all wacky).

............but some people do not know how to use them, or only check them when they can hear the out-of-tuneness (sometimes it's out by half a semitone by then). The idea of the pedal is that they will have this thing right in front of them showing in the red a lot if they are out of tune. :cool: ..............

I still recon my q tip idea is best. You can ALSO poke them in the eye with it when they don't bother to look for the little red light thingy...:)

FYI, the Korg Pitchblack is the stupid deal of the day today on mf.com. $39.99 today, although I'm not sure what they're usually priced at. I saw that and thought of this thread...

I think Musicians Friend monitors my ebay searches and watch list. I had been watching several Polytunes and Pitchblacks, waiting until I saw a good deal. MF 'Stupid Deal of the Day', Pitchblack for $40 shipped (normally $90). I ordered it.

Back