Best Amp Modelers

For recording, I use a Digitech RP150. I never use their presets. I spend the time to dial in what I want, just like I would with a real amp.

I don't gig, but if I did, I would probably use it to model all the stomp boxes I don't want to buy. I have a Peavey Bandit which sounds good clean and most of my tunes fit that sound. If I needed a crunchy tone, I'm not sure what I would do because the Bandit isn't good for distortion tones. I'd probably get another guitarists for crunch work. He can lug around the marshall. ha ha

I know none of this was useful. :D

Yeah man, love my DSL-1, I almost got the JVM-1, but opted for the clean channel with a gain & volume over the single volume & presence knobs on the JVM-1, I don't know myself, but I thought they'd be about the same really....Still, love this little amp, best piece of gear I've bought in a long time...

I did some tube rolling in my DSL-1 too, the clips I've posted have:
V1: Mullard
V2: GE
V3: RCA Clear top
V4: Sylavania
V5: RCA Clear top

FWIW, I've got a few sets of NOS power tubes for it, the RCA Clear Tops, RCA Black Tops, & Tung-Sol's...I like the Clear Tops best, the Tung-Sol's seem to kill the high end too much for me, the Black Tops are a close second to the Clear Tops, I like the way it compresses/adds dirt when I turn the master up with these....

I've tried a 12AX7 in V3 & V5, sounded like utter shit in V5 (power tube slot), but, using a 12AX7 in V3 gives the amp a little more headroom...I've also got a couple high gain 5751 Shuguang's that sound pretty good in all slots except V5...

I had both the DSL1 & JVM1 combos, each had a slight edge over the other, but all in all they're very close in tone. I ran the same tube set-up in both, RCA 12ax7's long gray plates in V123 and GE 12au7's in v45 positions. After a few months of playing thru both amps, decided I only needed one, kept the JVM only because of the little extra gain & presence.

6 Charvel Marshall Lexicon Rig.jpg

I do miss the gain control of the DSL1's clean channel, no doubt about it.
Its funny how many of my friends "dog" the 1 watt Marshalls because of their price, but when they hear it, I hear "crickets" from them about it anymore, lol

Here's my rig now, picked up an old "Effectron" delay and run it thru the JVM's loop. No pedals needed with this 1 watt puppy, run it with 4x12's, its plug and play fellas........ 50 years of loud, ya gotta luv it!

Ultimate home rig.jpg

Keep rockin hard!

The Axe FX II is as good as it gets for studio,IMO.(besides having the actual amps) I have been thinking about picking up another AXE II just for recording.Considering all that you get and the capabilities, the price is a bargain.

No doubt about that, the AXE FX stuff is King right now.
If I weren't building the acoustics of my room I would budget for one too.

Right now I'm tracking a lot with the Eleven Rack (AKA: Poor mans AXE)
Its pretty good and very quiet too. I'm digging the on-line support group forums and uploadable presets options out there. Very cool.

4.JPG

When I went out to play my first outdoor live gig with a Digitech RP200 in front of my Peavey Classic 30, I discovered to my horror that I couldn't see the LED display to select my carefully set up effects for each song. I started a real pedal board after that experience.

I would also recommend hardware over modeling vsts. Do you really want to bring a computer and interface to all your gigs? Sure it is lighter but you will have to keep the computer charged and worry about it getting damaged.
If weight is your concern you could get a small tube amp or a little combo as many have recommended. Another option is a sans-amp. You could use that to feed the PA plus a small cab.

Deja-vu here with the other amp/sim thread. I've been using Guitar Rig 5 and I really like the sound and options it provides. GR has every effect imaginable and many I never had access to before. The automation and layering possibilities make it a very interesting tool and it includes what they call a "control room" where one can select cabinets, mics and positioning. Now, I love an amplifier roaring behind me, so if I have my way I'd prefer to to have a cab behind me, but I just can't deny the power packed into this software.

I almost wish they wouldn't reference real amps, but would just be what they are - then I wouldn't be bumming out on them.

I share this sentiment as well. I actually am starting to feel that way about the load of vst analog processing models we're seeing now too. I thought we'd be looking at more new ideas by now, maybe that's all they can do. I like having the amp and analog models, I just want to see what they can do that amps can't, though I guess I might have covered that with their flexibility.

Something I've learned about the modelers/ampsims, is some of the fx work great on a recorded amp track, whether it be delay, chorus...I've even used the stompbox/od's in AT3/GR5 hitting the front end of my amp....Of course, not all of 'em don't sound good, it takes some time to experiment & find what does work...

I've got a couple presets in GR5 & AT3 saved just for this, one is for using on the di (od/distortion, wah, etc., even some of the time-based stuff sounds pretty good going into one of my amps), & the other is simulating the fx being in the loop (I put these fx on the recorded amp track, so it's "post" processing I suppose), but it gives me a lot of options, & more effects than I'll ever need, or be able to afford for that matter....

Automating these fx is another thing that's great (to me anyway), I can turn on/off any of these fx with a lot more precision that I could if I had the actual stomps in front of me while recording....Automating the wah pedals can be tedious, but I've had decent results out of most of 'em I've tried like this....

Lol. Marshall's one watt amps don't really fit their "50 years of loud!" campaign. :D

Well……
Let’s say yes and no

While Marshall’s 50th anniversary 1 watt amps don’t produce the insane volume levels as my Marshall 2203 JCM800, they do however produce insanely beautiful tube tones running flat out, without making your neighbor’s ears bleed and the police won’t be banging on the front door to break up the fun at 10:01pm.

Yet, the 1 watt is still loud enough to wake up almost anyone trying to sleep in your home, but can be backed down a bit and really enjoyed. The 1 watt amps are also excellent for running thru 4x12 speaker cabs and for recording.

A lot of people like to complain about the price of the Marshall 1 watt amps and their very limited availability, but if you’re lucky enough to find the model you want and have the cash, don’t hesitate, they’re very nice little amps.

Keep rockin!:thumbs up:

Well……
Let’s say yes and no

While Marshall’s 50th anniversary 1 watt amps don’t produce the insane volume levels as my Marshall 2203 JCM800, they do however produce insanely beautiful tube tones running flat out, without making your neighbor’s ears bleed and the police won’t be banging on the front door to break up the fun at 10:01pm.
This is the biggest reason I bought the DSL-1 H....I had a Blackstar HT-5, & even on "1" it was too loud for my use (late night recording)....Plus, to be honest, I could never get a tone I was happy with from the HT-5....Bought an Egnater Tweaker 15w head, & while just a tad louder than the HT-5, was happier to an extent with the tones (the HT-5 was just "generic" to my ears...the Tweaker is great for vintage type stuff, I think), but still wasn't what I was after....From the first time I plugged into my DSL-1 H, I knew it was what I'd been looking for in an amp, best piece of gear I've bought in years....

Yet, the 1 watt is still loud enough to wake up almost anyone trying to sleep in your home, but can be backed down a bit and really enjoyed. The 1 watt amps are also excellent for running thru 4x12 speaker cabs and for recording.
This is the reason I built my ISO cab, my amp makes less noise than my son's X-Box in the room across the hall, even when dimed...

A lot of people like to complain about the price of the Marshall 1 watt amps and their very limited availability, but if you’re lucky enough to find the model you want and have the cash, don’t hesitate, they’re very nice little amps.

Yes, they are expensive little amps, but I didn't pay full price for my DSL-1, got mine for $600, new with full warrany, still in the box...There are deals out there, but you have to look around to find 'em...

But, I will say, on the ampsim/modeler side of things, with a little tweaking, you can get some pretty convincing tones....I still use my ampsims on a daily basis, sometimes I use the amps/cabs that are modeled, but lately, I've been using the fx on my amp'd tracks....I've got patches/presets saved that have the fx I think are "usable" with my amps....Some patches are simulating the fx in the loop, & some are simulating a pedalboard/stompbox setup...You need to try recording a di (I always record a di with the amp'd track, so I can re-amp later if I want) & try some of the od/distortion emulations going into the front of your amp, you might be surprised at how they sound....

IMO, the thing that's lacking on the ampsims are the cabinet simulations, if the developers/programmers ever figure out how to get that "right", then the ampsims will be as good as the real thing....FWIW, some of the pedals & amps that are out now are so close it's not funny, I think it's the cabinet simulations that are lacking....YMMV....

Haven't done much re-amping yet, but a DI Splitter box is on the list.

Have you checked out the cab simulators in the Eleven rack?
Was playing around with them, most all speaker cab combinations from 1x12 on up and also has different mics and placement angles; pretty nice sims.
I’ve run into the DSL1’s effects return straight to the power tubes and it was surreal sounding. The Eleven rack works nice as a pre amp, clean too.

Well……
Let’s say yes and no

Meh, I've played every 1 watt Marshall I could get my hands on. I do like the JCM-1, but the rest don't do much for me. I totally understand their appeal, but man, they're way too expensive for what they are.

Many people have been caught out by how loud 5* and even 1 watt amps are! But a bit of thought shows they shouldn't have been.

If we take the V30 as a sort of reference guitar speaker then, by definition, 1 watt will produce 100dBSPL (at 1mtr) and that is loud by anyone's definition. 5 watts will hit you at 107dB. I suppose folks had in their heads that yes, 100watts is manic but 100 times less is ok? No, it ain't, not if you don't want to wake the chavvy in the next room.

You have to get down to single figure milliwatts to stay sociable, even 10mW gives you 80dB and that is about the max level you will get from a 32" FST telly. Annoying or what?

*The HT-5 is a bit of special case because it is the only fixed bias, push pull 5watter on the market AFAIK. This means if pressed a bit it will readily deliver some 10watts.

Dave.

Back