Best Amp Modelers

pworam

Anyone have an opinion about the best amp modelers? I've used Line 6 stuff for a while. I currently have a customized Line 6 Vetta II as my primary amp, and have recorded direct with it in the past. It's still very usable and I've gotten some pretty nice tones out of it (albeit with a ton of work), but lately I've been really impressed with NI Guitar Rig 5 since upping my home studio game. I haven't tried any of the newer stuff, and Fractal is way out of my price range. At some point, I will have to upgrade, and a Guitar Rig Live setup is starting to seem pretty appealing. Anyone have anything to offer in this regard? Pete

No, but for all practical purposes, I prefer modeling. You get alot with it. It's really more of a live thing anyway. If I was the size of Clay Matthews, I might actually spring for an Egnater Renegade. But I have major issues with the thought of lugging around a 91 lb amp.

I said "NO", as in no, it's not out of the question. My question is about modelers, not an "actual amps", as much for live as for recording. Second verse, same as the first...

I'm tired of this stupid debate, and that's not why I posted this thread. If you don't dig modeling, whatever. I get by just fine with the Vetta. I'm 45 and 160 lbs soaking weight, so yeah, lugging gear is a consideration for me. If you think you need a freaking tube amp to be musical or love music, or even to turn a decent live peformance, you're the one who's delusional.

Whoa, calm down. I don't think you need a tube amp. You could use your vetta. You get by just fine with it, right? I already said I'm not going to enable behavior I disagree with, but I'm not trying to talk you out of it either. I couldn't care less what you do. I was just curious for more specifics. Someone will come along and give you the answers you seek.

I'm tired of this stupid debate, and that's not why I posted this thread. If you don't dig modeling, whatever. I get by just fine with the Vetta. I'm 45 and 160 lbs soaking weight, so yeah, lugging gear is a consideration for me. If you think you need a freaking tube amp to be musical or love music, or even to turn a decent live peformance, you're the one who's delusional.

Unfortunately, one of the downsides of choosing to use modeling gear is that you can't AFFORD to be tired of this stupid debate, because it'll always follow you around. :laughings:

What kind of material are you trying to record, and what sorts of tones are you after? I'm more familiar with the hard rock/metal scene, and while I have no experience with them there are a couple good VST amp sims out there now - the LePou stuff gets a lot of praise.

For hardware units, The AxeFX II is the only unit I've tried that's impressed me. I think it sounds BETTER through a tube poweramp and a real cab, but even direct it really is pretty damned convincing, and fun to play through. I don't plan on dropping my Roadster head any time soon, but if I were to go modeler this is what I'd get.

Also, there's been a resurgence of interest in pro-quality low wattage tube heads lately - Marshall did a recent limited edition run of 1-watt versions of their classic heads, and I got some play time with either the JTM-1 or JCM-1 (I forget), and the JVM-1. They were both a ton of fun to play through, and sounded great. Mesa also introduced a 25/10 watt Rectifier Mini head, and just recently a Rect-o-verb 25 version with added reverb. I haven't tried the Rectoverb version yet, but I LOVED the Mini, and the Rectoverb seems to be voiced the same but adds reverb and a more "normal" cosmetic look. Egnator makes a few good low-wattage heads as well that still produce modern levels of gain, and while I haven't tried the Jet City stuff myself, it's designed in conjunction with Mike Soldano and evidently kicks all sorts of ass in a smaller package.

A low-wattage head (and some of these are down as low as 18 pounds, I believe) and either the appropriate "mini" cab or a more normal 2x12 (I have an Avatar oversized 2x12 in addition to my Recto 4x12 for a more portable option, and it weighs 60 pounds - not featherweight, but easy enough to move) can give you a pretty awesome-sounding house-friendly tube rig. I wouldn't hesitate to put a mic in front of any of these heads (or rather, the cab they're hooked up to), either - they're really great sounding options, and if I didn't already own a Roadster I'd be lusting hard for a Rectoverb 25.

Thanks DrewPeterson7 - that's some helpful info. I'm going to have to delve into the low wattage amps a little deeper. I'll see if I can't track down a demo of the LePou VST.

I use an Axe FX II in my home studio, and it does an excellent job of emulating a large variety of amps and effects.

I also own an Eleven Rack, and it does a fantastic job of rocking through the headphones when I am sitting around on the couch at night.

These are both hardware solutions, and for my purposes they surpass using "real" amplifiers.
I haven't been impressed at all with any of the amplifier /effect plug-ins that I have tried.

i just haven't found a modeler that i like better than the real thing.

if it ever happens, i'll probably go for it, but until then, i'm just not concerned about it, i get everything i want out of a tube amp and speaker combo.

i can make a good sound out of anything, tho.

Back