Best Amp Modelers

I got married to the widow next door, She's been married seven times before, and every one was a Henry. Never had a willie or a sam. I'm the 8th they call ole Henry, Henry the 8th I am.

The way I see it, in order for it to feel like a real amplifier, it still needs to have switches and knobs and a place to plug your guitar in...

If you work with the computer models, you have to have to pay attention to the input, which will be analog no matter what you do. Input impedance and headroom are important, and they're normally not what you want when you go direct into a computer. Next comes the analog/digital converter. A low quality input, especially, and I suppose a low quality converter can mess things up. Any problems in these stages, especially yucky clipping, are going to send a crappy dry signal to the model, and then there's only so much you'll be able to do. I don't have any experience with AxeFX, but I suspect those nice systems have high quality analog inputs and conversion.

Today, I played around with some models inside Logic Pro (the stock ones, and some I downloaded). I was using a good preamp and converter, and I still clipped sometimes, but when I avoided that problem, it was kind of fun. The studio monitors sound so pristine, and some of the models were for amps I have never played through. Some of the models are for amps I have sitting in another room, though, and here's where I gotta go with the real amp folks. Much of it may be the real 4X12 cabs that are hooked up to the real amps, but I'm not sure, but in any case, I can testify that the JCM 800 2204 (model may have been 2203 - I have a 1986 2204), JMP lead (model was probably for a plexi - I have a 1971 post-plexi), and Orange OR100 (I have a new sort of re-issue one) models sound (and, primarily feel) like anemic papier mâché miniatures compared to the real things. But that's not to say the models didn't sound good - I almost wish they wouldn't reference real amps, but would just be what they are - then I wouldn't be bumming out on them.

But hey, I'm also 45 and 160 (+) - with a failing back - I know that feel bro

Some of the models are for amps I have sitting in another room, though, and here's where I gotta go with the real amp folks. Much of it may be the real 4X12 cabs that are hooked up to the real amps, but I'm not sure, but in any case, I can testify that the JCM 800 2204 (model may have been 2203 - I have a 1986 2204), JMP lead (model was probably for a plexi - I have a 1971 post-plexi), and Orange OR100 (I have a new sort of re-issue one) models sound but more felt like anemic papier mâché miniatures compared to the real things. But that's not to say the models didn't sound good - I almost wish they wouldn't reference real amps, but would just be what they are - then I wouldn't be bumming out on them.

I agree, amp in the room can't be modeled because real amps push air and make your knees buckle.
What you end up getting with a first rate modeler is what a well recorded version of the original amp sounds like through monitor speakers.
And yes, the good modelers have impedance matching inputs, the cables are even noisy when plugging in just like plugging into a real amp.

I have both ampsims (lots of 'em) & low watt tube amps, & they're good/bad with both...If you want silent playing/recording, go with the ampsims/modelers, while my amps aren't super loud, they are loud enough to piss everyone off in the house late at night...

I personally wouldn't use a computer/ampsim/vst live, too many things to go wrong, if I had the $$$ & wanted a modeler, I'd get either a Fractal or Kemper....

Here's a couple low watt amps that I think sound pretty good, but again, while they're low watt, they're not silent by any means....I knew the Egnater would be kinda loud at 15 watts, but the DSL-1 amazes me at how loud this little thing really is for a 1w amp....

Anyone have an opinion about the best amp modelers? I've used Line 6 stuff for a while. I currently have a customized Line 6 Vetta II as my primary amp, and have recorded direct with it in the past. It's still very usable and I've gotten some pretty nice tones out of it (albeit with a ton of work), but lately I've been really impressed with NI Guitar Rig 5 since upping my home studio game. I haven't tried any of the newer stuff, and Fractal is way out of my price range. At some point, I will have to upgrade, and a Guitar Rig Live setup is starting to seem pretty appealing. Anyone have anything to offer in this regard? Pete

You could consider the "Eleven Rack", made by Avid.
Is a very cool unit, very clean sounding and pretty affordable.
I have one in my desk for those times I don't want to mess with the Marshall & mics.
Has plenty of amp sounds, many are very realistic sounding and the best things about the Eleven is it can also be used as an effects unit for re-amping tracks and as a pre-amp into a power amp or PA.

4.JPG

Here's a video on the unit and some of its functions.

Sweetwater Minute - Vol. 170, Avid Eleven Rack Demo - YouTube

Here's some of the tones it produces.
Digidesign Eleven Rack - All Amp Models Demo - YouTube

Hope it helps.

With regard to "quality" input circuits with high headroom?
No one seems to question the inputs on pedals, the majority of which have a 9volt supply and thus the input overload point is at best about 3V rms.

Very acceptable converters are now as cheap as chips, look at how many sub £100 AIs there are?

Dave.

With regard to "quality" input circuits with high headroom?
No one seems to question the inputs on pedals, the majority of which have a 9volt supply and thus the input overload point is at best about 3V rms.

Very acceptable converters are now as cheap as chips, look at how many sub £100 AIs there are?

Dave.
Don't mean to say they're expensive - just that plugging straight into a computer isn't likely to work well, and it's not entirely obvious how to get around that unless you're using an interface of some sort, and even then you may have gain-staging issues that don't exist with an amp. I really say this in defense of modelers - for a long time, a lot of what I thought I didn't like about the models was actually attributable to a bad input signal.

I like my Mark V pretty good. I'm 62 and also with a failing back but screw me if I can lug 65lbs ..... it'll time to be put down when I get there.

Don't mean to say they're expensive - just that plugging straight into a computer isn't likely to work well, and it's not entirely obvious how to get around that unless you're using an interface of some sort, and even then you may have gain-staging issues that don't exist with an amp. I really say this in defense of modelers - for a long time, a lot of what I thought I didn't like about the models was actually attributable to a bad input signal.

Ah yes! not a good idea to go into a PC line input I agree. But when peeps talk of "modelling" amps they must, by definition, contain an interface, leastways, the one I am a wee bit familiar with, Blackstar ID certainly does.

I shipped a Line 6 15watt combo to my son in France and he said it is pretty good. Now he was a REET fussy b'std when home! All he really liked was the Vox AC30 and a B'star A15, neither of which we could afford!

Dave.

the DSL-1 amazes me at how loud this little thing really is for a 1w amp....

https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/minerman_01/My%20Music%20Pics/DSL-1HamporangePPC112-2_zps17dc7efa.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

+1

The 1 watt Marshalls are amazing.

I had the DSL1 & JVM1, sold the DSL to a friend and kept the JVM, both sounded very similar in tone.
I put some NOS tested RCA's in it and wow, insane tube tone from these lil amps.
Not cheap, but worth every dime.

+1

The 1 watt Marshalls are amazing.

I had the DSL1 & JVM1, sold the DSL to a friend and kept the JVM, both sounded very similar in tone.
I put some NOS tested RCA's in it and wow, insane tube tone from these lil amps.
Not cheap, but worth every dime.

Yeah man, love my DSL-1, I almost got the JVM-1, but opted for the clean channel with a gain & volume over the single volume & presence knobs on the JVM-1, I don't know myself, but I thought they'd be about the same really....Still, love this little amp, best piece of gear I've bought in a long time...

I did some tube rolling in my DSL-1 too, the clips I've posted have:
V1: Mullard
V2: GE
V3: RCA Clear top
V4: Sylavania
V5: RCA Clear top

FWIW, I've got a few sets of NOS power tubes for it, the RCA Clear Tops, RCA Black Tops, & Tung-Sol's...I like the Clear Tops best, the Tung-Sol's seem to kill the high end too much for me, the Black Tops are a close second to the Clear Tops, I like the way it compresses/adds dirt when I turn the master up with these....

I've tried a 12AX7 in V3 & V5, sounded like utter shit in V5 (power tube slot), but, using a 12AX7 in V3 gives the amp a little more headroom...I've also got a couple high gain 5751 Shuguang's that sound pretty good in all slots except V5...

Yeah man, love my DSL-1, I almost got the JVM-1, but opted for the clean channel with a gain & volume over the single volume & presence knobs on the JVM-1, I don't know myself, but I thought they'd be about the same really....Still, love this little amp, best piece of gear I've bought in a long time...

I did some tube rolling in my DSL-1 too, the clips I've posted have:
V1: Mullard

The 12AX7/ECC83 should not be used in a power position vacated by such as the 12AU7/ECC82, they are not built to handle the power and will die. They also, as you have found out sound poo!

I mention this because some of the range of Blackstar amplifiers (and others) use the 82 as a post PI driver and fitting an 83 results in very bad sound and early demise of the valve.

In general, unless you REALLY know what you are at it is unwise to swap valve types, even "pre amp" types because they rarely improve the tone and can often be damaged and take internal circuitry with them resulting in the passing over of a large wad of lager vouchers to an amp tech!

Amplifier makers generally know best!

"If you don't dig modeling, whatever." isn't a sentence.
Whatever has become a short cut dismissive term derived from "..do whatever your want to, I don't care," or words to that effect.
I don't really like the modellers I have - free or bought.
If I'd grown up on Line 6 I'd probably think almost any modeller was good - simply in comparison to what I was used to.
Greg, I believe, is merely expressing his frustration with the downward trajectory of the range of topics requests which he finds expidentially linked to the quest for a preset easy answer to the question of tone, taste and testicularity.

Greg, I believe, is merely expressing his frustration with the downward trajectory of the range of topics requests which he finds expidentially linked to the quest for a preset easy answer to the question of tone, taste and testicularity.

Haha, that is mostly true. It's an extension of the pussification of global society. We can't say "midget" anymore, and amps have apparently become too heavy or limited for live use. I don't mind modelers/sims for recording, but for live? Lame. I'll shout it from the rooftops.

The 12AX7/ECC83 should not be used in a power position vacated by such as the 12AU7/ECC82, they are not built to handle the power and will die. They also, as you have found out sound poo!

I mention this because some of the range of Blackstar amplifiers (and others) use the 82 as a post PI driver and fitting an 83 results in very bad sound and early demise of the valve.

In general, unless you REALLY know what you are at it is unwise to swap valve types, even "pre amp" types because they rarely improve the tone and can often be damaged and take internal circuitry with them resulting in the passing over of a large wad of lager vouchers to an amp tech!

Amplifier makers generally know best!

You're right dude, that's why I contacted the guy who designed the DSL-1 & JVM-1 for Marshall, to ask about tube swapping/changes in my DSL-1....He told me it wouldn't hurt my amp, but a 12AX7 in the power slot would sound like shit...He also told me the tube swap in V3 wouldn't hurt the amp, & if I liked what the 12AX7/5751 did for the tone, then by all means use 'em....

The Axe FX II is as good as it gets for studio,IMO.(besides having the actual amps) I think a lot of folks that dismiss it for live use are only looking at the direct to PA setup, which is a recipe for suck, to my ears. After trying several power amps with mine,(including the highly touted Atomic 50/50, which is a complete hunk of shite) I paired mine with an old Marshall 9005, wet/dry to two 412 cabs, or single 412 cab, and you would never know it was a modeler.
When it is all said and done, I still like my real amp for live, but I have been thinking about picking up another AXE II just for recording.Considering all that you get and the capabilities, the price is a bargain.

Back