Behringer PMX2000 Power Mixer Used Just As An Amp. And with Phantom Power??

RobertRosenkohl

I have a Behringer Europower PMX2000 Power Mixer. Quite old, but still going strong.
I use it just as an amplifier with my Behringer mixer connected to the Power Amp Inputs.
Please see the photo. (if there???)
Can an XLR lamp (powered by phantom power) be plugged into one of the XLR inputs on the PMX2000 & the Phantom Power be switched on when using the PMX2000 in this mode?
All the XLR inputs on the mixer are being used.
I have not yet tried this out, as I do not want to cause any damage to the PMX2000.

Thank you in advance.
Robert Rosenkohl.Seelos 2013 equipment.JPG

Yep.

If the light is specifically designed to work with phantom-powered XLR ports, you will not blow anything up

If you mean something like the LED XLR lamp linked below, there's a comment that says "No". Likely wouldn't damage the PMX2000 as most phantom supplies have current limiting resistor in the circuit.

"Note: Consoles require a dedicated 12-volt task light connector for use of this product. Light will not operate on a phantom powered mic input "
Amazon.com: Littlite L-18X-LED 18" Gooseneck Light with 3 Pin XLR Connector LED Lamp: Musical Instruments

I bought one of these for a music stand...
Amazon.com: SumDirect® Clip-on Installable Batteries LED Music Stand Light with Adapter: Musical Instruments

Nice and bright. There are other LED lamps with smaller heads as well

Hello Mark, thank you for your reply.
I use 2 Mighty Brites, battery powered, on my music stand.
The XLR lamp is for Sabine the Sound Lady & runs off phantom power.
We operate with a mixer & a Power Mixer. The Power Mixer is used purely as an amp, with main out, left & right from the mixer into the Power Amp Inputs, left & right on the Power Mixer.
(The red & yellow cables bottom right on the photo.)
When used in this mode, all thePower Mixer inputs, 6,35 & XLR & all the volume & other controls are inactive. I just hoped that perhaps phantom power was active, going in the other direction & if switched on would not do any damage.
I think that we will just have to try it out & hope that nothing untoward happens.
Robert.

Hello Geko Zzed, thank you for your reply.
This is amazing, we watched a documentary about Tasmania yesterday evening, on the tele.
It would seem the English have a lot to answer for!! Killing off a lot of the indigenous animals.
Could you please read my reply to Arcaxis & you will see where we are coming from.
Robert.

hi Robert,

There are some 12v XLR lamps that are not intended for XLR mike sockets. They are designed for specific XLR light sockets.

There are also 48v phantom powered models which are designed to be used in spare mike sockets.

I assume you have the latter seeing as you say "XLR lamp (powered by phantom power)".

That being the case, you will not have problems.

On Tasmania . . .if you can give me details of the documentary, I'll check it out and let you know how factual it is. "Killing of a lot of the indigenous animals" is (a) not necessarily a practice peculiar to one state or country, and (b) sounds like an exaggeration to either make a point or add to the sense of drama.

Back