Behringer and the hits keep coming...

What do you think about Behringer products?

• Great quality and value for money!

Votes: 354 41.6%
  • Cheap but sometimes dodgy! I wouldn't buy core equipment from them. Not reliable enough.

Votes: 276 32.5%
  • Awful. Cheapness is no substitute for quality!

Votes: 102 12.0%
  • I dont give a crap, I dont have any.

Votes: 118 13.9%

• Total voters
MBP2112 said:
Howyadoin,

From rush.com (Alex Lifeson's gear list)

Ya know, if it's good enough for Big Al, it's good enough for me... :)
I use a Behringer V-Amp 2, compressor, 8-way headphone amp and patchbays in my studio, and have never had a hint of trouble with any of them. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Go Alex!!

I have slew of amps...Mesa, Marshall, Fender, I also have a Behringer Vamp pro, and Behringer Bass V-amp pro. I go to the V-amps as much as I do any of my other amps when it comes to recording. I have a line6 Bass Pod Pro, but I prefer the Behringer Bass V-amp. My line6 took a dump so I'm out $500. If my Behringer Bass V-amp were to do that, I'm only out $140 and it sounds just as good, if not better than the line6 ever did. My Behringer headphone amp works like a champ, also, as does my 2 Behringer compressors.

EVERY company has it's good products and bad. You can not judge a whole line on one product.

My band is using the sl32 board with Crest power and JBL cabs . So far it's noiseless and does fine for live. If it breaks, for the cost, it`ll be about as economically sensible to throw it away and get another one as to fix it. I don`t have ant experience with anything else they made except for trying one of their lil bass amps out in a store. It wasnt bad, but it just wasn't good either.

MBP2112 said:
Howyadoin,

From rush.com (Alex Lifeson's gear list)

Ya know, if it's good enough for Big Al, it's good enough for me... :)
Have you ever heard the Behringer Multi-Effects Virtualizer Pro DSP2024P???? One of the worst-sounding pieces of shit I've ever come across.... if AL is in fact seriously endorsing it, then his ears are completely shot.........

Blue Bear Sound said:
Have you ever heard the Behringer Multi-Effects Virtualizer Pro DSP2024P???? One of the worst-sounding pieces of shit I've ever come across.... if AL is in fact seriously endorsing it, then his ears are completely shot.........

I think the whole point here is that AL uses this on a guitar rig, not in a studio. Processing a guitar signal doesn't reveal as much flaws as using those effects in the studio. I don't mean to defend Behringer here (it's crap to me) but for LOW-FI signals such as a guitar tone, I guess the Behr is okay for AL.

it will if u have a decent guitar amp..and it will also depend on the sound you're going for.

just like when u have a decent mic amp and notice the flaws...you're talking about preamps and monitors, the only difference is that with guitar amps, usually the monitors/speakers and preamp are on the same chassis. even more so cause the speakers in the guitar amps are especially designed for that sound.

diogo said:
it will if u have a decent guitar amp..and it will also depend on the sound you're going for.

just like when u have a decent mic amp and notice the flaws...you're talking about preamps and monitors, the only difference is that with guitar amps, usually the monitors/speakers and preamp are on the same chassis. even more so cause the speakers in the guitar amps are especially designed for that sound.
Even if you have a good amp, the frequencies covered by guitar are not considered HI-FI by any means. It's mostly midrange. Thus, the limitations of the effects will not show since poor DSP and converters will show their limits up in the frequency range.

i agree..in part..unless u have a reaaalllyy good amp. ;)

get a vibrolux and im sure u can hear the difference..it will depend on everything, some pickups are extremely responsive and dynamic and cover a lot more ground in terms of frequencies than others.

still, most of the perfection ppl want sound wise aint perfect at all..decent mic tube pres are wanted for their capability to distort, for example...how's that for hi-fi? :/

in that sense..more power to alesis (i have a microverb II and so does neil young btw!! how can anyone argue with that?..its his main verb for extreme settings, and the other one is nothing but those old fender tanks that go for 300 bucks on ebay)..i never tried anything behringer so i really cant coment on that...just trying to make a point that some stuff has an use, despite more or less gear snobism associated with it.

Bruce, i cant comment on behringer cause ive never used anything, but some alesis verb boxes, certainly dont sound like shit.

diogo said:
Bruce, i cant comment on behringer cause ive never used anything, but some alesis verb boxes, certainly dont sound like shit.
I was thinking of the Behringer boxes -- I've heard good things about the early Alesis Midiverb units, but the Nano series is garbage, IMO...

i sincerely find that lower bit reverbs (i have microverb II 16 bits) make the sound a lot more interesting altogether, be it highly processed (many stomps) or not quite (microverb and memory man on the fx loop of a fender hotrod deluxe). for me at least, it is...i play very atmosferic stuff and i find that low bits and analog stomps make all the sense in the world adding feel and truthness and caracther to the sound.

what i meant with gear snobism up there is something like, i find it perfectly ok that a person says "i wont use alesis cause i dont like it"...hell, i dont use marshall stacks cause i dont like them...but i cant say something like, i dont use marshall stacks cause they suck...obviously they dont, but i wont be caught with one ever.

its different. and ppl just seem very quick to the trigger when they see a name/brand that doesnt quite make sense for them.

I got my Alesis nanoverb for $45. It's not so good, but I got it used. I'll probably resell it for about the same amount. I spent a little, and learned a little.

There's 2 things that amaze me, sometimes. 1 is that some stuff really sounds bad cheap or not and, 2 is that some cheap stuff has very low noise and can sound pretty good. 3 is that stuff really does break down and often arrives defective.

Nanobass is pretty cool and so is the QS series. My favorite patch bay is a berry, but how much does that say for them? :)

chessrock said:
That Behringer shit is crap.

Or should I say that Behringer crap is shit?

I agree, most of it anyway. Before I found this web site I got sucked into buying some of those Truth Monitors (bad decision, I know). It's been about 8 months and they are still working but they still sound like crap. I'm now saving to get some KRK RP8's and hopefully they serve me some better sound than the Truths.

Ok, confession time. I use a couple of pieces of Behringer gear. I gave away my MXL2002 mixer to the poor. I do, however, use VAMP II as a good cheap stage box for solo gigs, ADA8000 for a bunch of extra cheap channels by lightpipe, and Bass VAMP Pro, for a couple of sounds. What the hell? Do I depend on this gear? No. Do I own and use it? Yes, sometimes.-Richie

chessrock said:
That Behringer shit is crap.

Or should I say that Behringer crap is shit?

To bash a companies entire line shows narrow mindedness, short sightedness, and inexperience. Unless you have tried EVERY product they make, which I doubt anyone has.
Some of the older compressors are pretty good. The Behringer line of headphone amps are a good buy. The Euro mixers are a good line for the money (much better than the MX mixers that so many base the entire Behringer line on).

Blue Bear Sound said:
I was thinking of the Behringer boxes -- I've heard good things about the early Alesis Midiverb units, but the Nano series is garbage, IMO...

This man right here...Cuzzin' Brucie Blue-Bear...(along with several other exper'ncd peeps here & at ProRec), schooled me to the severe shortcomings of Behringer gear 5 yrs ago!
Mannnnn, I was a Beh gear addict! :eek: At one point I owned the MX2426,
Multi-Com,Auto-Com,Composer Pro comps;The Intelligate, DSP Pro1000, Edison, Ultra-Bass, ECM 8000 & the Pro2000 patchbay! All this gear... brand-spankin'... new for less than $850 tops! PLUSSSS, these joints looked great racked together!! ;)

Unfortunately I realized the limitations of several of these units perf-wise.
Thru discussions with Cuzzin' Brucie, A/B/C comparisons & tests between Beh, Mackie & Alesis perf'd by long-time HR members, sonusman & Recording Engineer (with Bill Parks & BManning of ProRec conducting simplified perf tests bet Beh & A&H) along with my own negative experiences, Beh rated near the bottom in most "taste" tests. I do give small props to Beh for 2 of it's dynamic processors; the AutoCom & the Composer (both yield fairly adequate
signal proc'ing results); the Harvey Gerst-recommended ECM8000 and my personal pref...the Intelligate (not for it's gating functions, but for it's Hi-Lo Pass filters that come in handy somewhat when controlling "hissing" from drum machines & the like).
Way back when, Cuzzin' Brucie hipped me to the transparency & clarity of the RNC vs Behs Comps. He was right. I bought 2 of 'em! I relayed to him back then what I thought was the plusses of Beh's DSP's. He politely responded about Beh's DSP's limited effect parameters that can only be adj'd in .5 increments. He recm'ded the Lex MPX500. He was right again. I purchased the 500 and was amazed by the huge diffs bet the 500 and Beh's DSP1000 in re to overall quality & perf. Buying cheap gear will eventually lead to buying twice. I'm no gear snob, hi-end gear owner or expert but I have gained most valuable experience in maximizing what spare change I have to get gear that will yield quality results like the Grace 101 I bought last year(sweet ma'f#%kin' pre)!

All I'm trying to say is to take the advice this po'-@ss brother who learned the hard way that buying cheap, lo-end gear will give forth lo-end results.
Train your most precious commodity...your ears...to hear the subtle diffs in gear fr lo to hi. If your $$$ ain't rite and you're on a strict mama-drama budget yet you want to start rec'ding rite away, don't buy cheap-weak crap like Beh! Be patient and let that $29.00 you got saved to buy a Beh MX9000
grow by adding $1-$5-$25 whatever each week,month etc to that $29.00
so you can purchase a product that's worth it!
Remember, Buy cheap-lo-end gear and you WILL buy TWICE!!!

Peace
Q.rM

Toker41 said:
All this may be true, however, I have had problems with Roland, and Marshall. Support being just as weak. ( I love it when I know more about the product then the support person on the line). I have also had problems with getting any support from dealers (Sam Ash is the worst, and Guitar Center won't even talk to you about support unless you buy their "extended warranty" which to me says "we can't promise that what we sell you isn't crap and refuse to take resposability for it if it is unless you pay us more money" . Infact the only company that I ever found to be anything close to good as far as support goes would be Mesa Boogie.
Fact is Behringer is alot of bang for the buck. As a musician I feel that I (we) have been getting ripped off by every end of the music business including ( and worst of all) by the manufactures. I know everyone wants to throw up the "R n D justifies the expense" line, but it's crap. The mark up on the gear we buy is nothing short of highway robbery. (please explain the reason a Gibson Les Paul cost $2600 when they are not even hand made! How much RnD goes into that?) If the product sounds good (and that really is the bottom line) and is half the price of a Mackie with twice the features...it's a no-brainer.
BTW...I have heard many horror stories about people waiting 6 months or more to get thier Mackie back after shipping it to them for repair. Also, ALL mackie products are now using cheaper parts made overseas, but not passing on any savings to the consumer.....same price, lower quality.

Have to agree on Sam Ash, I purchased some pickups from them on 20th July and according to the tracking they are still in their consolidation center, they are totally crap.
Clive

Toker41 said:
To bash a companies entire line shows narrow mindedness, short sightedness, and inexperience. Unless you have tried EVERY product they make, which I doubt anyone has.

I disagree, there are those who have tried many of the company's offerings. In general, you CAN extrapolate from that. So I would argue in this case, it is deserved.

Personally, when I try several of a company's products and find that they are crap, to NOT make that determination in general would indicate a mental defect on my part.

And furthermore, the qualifier "for the money" is meaningless in this context - when you are buying the cheapest gear on the planet, more often that not you get whant you pay for, so it's still crap.

Back