Beats by Dre, what's the hype?

killthepixelnow

Do it right or dont do it
Hey guys, did you have the chance to try Drm Dre cans? I really have my doubts on this kind of products sponsored by artists. What I'd like to know if they can compete, in terms of sound fidelity, to the most well-established brands like AKS, Sennheiser or Bose.

A pal of mine has a pair. Listen.....I'm not sure what you'd be using them for.........but they're way over priced and over designed for bass response it seems to me. If you want to use them for simple tracking........they're ok for that. Acceptable leakage. For any critical listening.......really....stick to the known performers like AKG......Sennheiser......Audio Technica......etc......etc. You asked about their "fidelity" ????

Depends on the intended use. I would think (don't know for sure) that the sound would be too colored to be used for any type of critical listening

Just to clarify, I'm using AKG cans to monitor. I agree that they're overpriced, for 100 bucks I get a really good Sennheiser headphones.

They have a lot of (not so accurate) bass, and that seems to be confused with good sound quality for a lot of people. I'm a Beyerdynamic guy myself.

They are more designed for a fashion statement than sound, by the way in Bali you can buy them for $10, they look the same so the fashion part is covered LOL.

Alan.

You're paying $10 for the headphones and $150 for the name.

Actually, it's worse than that--I've heard a lot of $10 headphones with a flatter frequency response than the Dre offering which are designed to pump up the bass.

...which, of course, is why fashion-conscious Apple just bought them.

Marketed to the same people who put those big amps and subwoofers in the trunks of their little Japanese beater cars. You can hear all the car's panels rattling as they drive down the road.

Last year, I was in Shanghai. They have a HUGE underground subway marketplace that sells all sorts of knock off crap. $1 DVDs, Rosetta Stone $3, Photoshop $3, etc. anything you want. My daughter bought a pair of "Beats" for $5 to give to her friend as a present. I got to listen to a pair of real ones at Best Buy a few years ago. Those were $400. Over emphasized bass, and more bass. A Fashion statement. My daughter paid a fair price for what she got. Best Buy customers and Apple not so much.

Back