Beatmaking Video

pcp said:
hey man that first video is ill. i love watching other people operate on reason because everybody does it a little bit differently. i myself always program my drums on redrum but i like how you do it on the keyboard...i imagine thats how most people do it. it seems to give you more control. i just have a couple questions and comments:
from what i saw it looks like you basically just put the L and R locators on a little section and then open up all the noises you want and make the main part of the beat right there, drop the drums in, and then just copy and paste it and drop in and drop out what and where you want. I could be wrong though it was kind of hard to tell from that video. I do pretty much the opposite. I make my main drum loop in redrum and then add one or two sounds on top of that and then try to lay out intro, verse, hook and then play other things on top of that and try to fill it in. sometimes i have problems with the flow though, so it was good to see your method im gonna try to give it a shot. How are your claps and snares always in the right place, is that just by ear from practice?

Just one more thing, you were asking for suggestions for another video, I would love to see you make a beat in Reason from a sample or at least using a sample or two. I dont know if thats your thing or not, but if it is I would love to see the best way to do that. Also, I would like to see how to make a bangin ass bassline because ive tried probably 1 million + times and still havent been able to do it in reason. sorry for the long post. one

what's up pcp? yeah, basically that's what i do. I come up with all of the melodies I want and then when i'm satisfied with all of the ingredients i drop out certain parts throughout the song to seperate, intro, verse, bridge, chorus... sometimes I lay out my full drum pattern in redrum and then copy to track and then drop different percussion sounds out. my snares and claps come by ear but sometimes i'll kick off the session with auto quantize on and set at 16 or 32. I don't really mess with sample loops too much but i can hook something up. I just did a Fruityloops session where i created a bassline and incorporated a couple of sampled one shot vocals.

To do a bassline in Reason you pretty much just have to find a nice bass patch or sample and run with it. Do you have any bass sounds? You can get some good bass sounds out of Reason's Subtractor. Do you have a problem with getting good bass sounds or patterns?

jugalo180 said:
Do you have any bass sounds? You can get some good bass sounds out of Reason's Subtractor. Do you have a problem with getting good bass sounds or patterns?

Thats a good question. I have almost 6 gigs worth of samples and refills, so Id say i have at least a few good basses in there. I sometimes use the Filter Wheeler in Subtractor and sometimes just Malstrom without any patch, and Ive been reading a lot of tips on this website as well. But it just seems like no matter how hard I try i just cant get my basslines to sound like basslines that you hear on like a Lil Jon beat or something like that. On most of my good beats I'm afraid of trying to ruin it with a bad bass so I just use 808 kicks or something.

I guess that doesnt really answer your question though. Id say my problem is a mixture of my patterns, sounds, and just not knowing how to make the level of it right as far as hitting on subs. Its always either too loud or too quiet. I think thats a monitoring problem though. I use Samson Resolv 50a's, which have tiny little Mickey Mouse subs on them. Any tips?

before I drive back down to Virginia for school this afternoon, I'll have some concert footage on the Events page of my website. Included in the footage is Mook B from D4L but this is before D4L. other than the music I liked his personality, I told my homeboy to start driving to Atlanta and perform at dudes club, but he didn't listen and now once again I get to look at someone that I crossed paths with when they were no bigger than me shine, shine shine. I'm going to try my best to recognize and take advantage of all beneficial opportunities here on out. I'm driving down to Georgia next weekend to holla at my homeboys. I'm going to pick up some footage of me performing while i'm down there. The footage will be from right before I moved up to Maryland and some of it is in the same club of the concert footage i'm loading up in a couple hours.

real tight work on the videos...

i think it was real helpful for beatmakers that use reasons...

hey man great vid. While I don't make hip hop music (I play atmospheric black/doom metal stuff), I still found it informative. It's kinda how I make stuff up. Except I usually use guitars first then come up with a synth part. Then drums.

Nice stuff Red
I'm not much into makeing beats but you got some good info in the video's

I think this white boy might try to make some beats.

Thanks

It would be nice if we all could video n show how we get down. We show our setups and we often explain how we get down. But it's like putting a face to a name too. That 's good looking to Jug and Killah Trakz on the video peep!!!!!!!Hopefully I can get what I need to display how I get down!!!!!~~~

GOOD LOOK FELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

just curious,

i noticed that you'd be tapping out the drums or melodies or whatever on the keyboard, then it would just start playing automatically... how does that work?

also,
do you have a different sequencer track for every little part of the song? like the main melody, the other little melody you put on top of that, the kick drum, the clap/snare, the hats... etc?

i'm new to reason, still just messing around and getting used to it.

oh and i have cable, and the video pretty much played instantly.

tylerxxx said:
do you have a different sequencer track for every little part of the song? like the main melody, the other little melody you put on top of that, the kick drum, the clap/snare, the hats... etc?

I'm pretty sure most people use separate instruments for each part...

For example, an average song might have

Mixer 1 (You can add a sequencer track to do automation with it)

Redrum 1 (One sequencer track to sequence drums... This is more practical (to me) than using patterns all the time)

Subtractor 1 (One sequencer track to sequence bass...)

Subtractor 2 (One sequencer track to sequence melody...)

--------

On the other hand... You want to get a general procedure down (so you can actually spend time being creative)....

Nowadays, I use Pro Tools and Reason together (via rewire)... When I do this, I find it more efficient and practical to have a Redrum for each percussion group:

Redrum 1 (All bass drums or low frequency hits)

Redrum 2 (All snares, rimshots, and similar)

Redrum 3 (All hats, cymbals, and similar)

This way I can use an effect chain for each Redrum and each one is tailored for it's purpose (and I can do this on the Pro Tools or Reason end).... For example, you can compress Redrum 1's drums without worrying about messing up your snares... etc

Either way... Good luck...

pro

Yo, I thinks its dope to see cats respond to your video. You need to make more. In fact you are going to make me do some. anyway good shit homie and much respect PZ

I've thought about doing a tutorial of how I do things but I don't wanna go into that half assed. What cam were you using for that kind of quality Jug?

Usually I see cats doing tutorials with only half of the quality and the lack of quality turns me off to what is being said.

Good work ya'll,
Fie.

pcp said:
I would like to see how to make a bangin ass bassline because ive tried probably 1 million + times and still havent been able to do it in reason. sorry for the long post. one

Yo pcp, I find that using either the initial Malstom patch or the Filter Sweeper Subtractor patch on the Factory Sound Bank make very nice basslines with little tweaking. Works like a charm in my beats and they're very versatile.

Dang. Your site has came way up since the last time i visited it. I'm about to attempt to watch the videos. I have dial up so it will probably take me about 2 weeks to watch it!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Shit man, this stuff is real good. Like some others here, I'm not big crazy into the hiphop thing, but the stuff you show can be used for just about anything. Any chance you can make those vids available for direct download? I'd like to burn 'em off and watch them on the dvd player so I can easily go back and forth from Reason/FL and your vid. Keep up the good work!

Nice site man and I def will be promotin it on otha forums i will be on and Ima def promote this forum on the otha sites to. Good Lookin out fam.

~1~

BeatsBuY said:
Just checked ou your site. Lookin good. Thight!

Man, I can't spell! Must have been late! :D What's thight? :confused: I meant tight... Yea! No more Hyphy Juice for me!........

Fieva said:
I've thought about doing a tutorial of how I do things but I don't wanna go into that half assed. What cam were you using for that kind of quality Jug?

Usually I see cats doing tutorials with only half of the quality and the lack of quality turns me off to what is being said.

Good work ya'll,
Fie.

thanks fieva, I sold my canon xl1 and now i'm actually using an inexpensive mini dv by jvc, the model is JVC GR-D295. The trick is in the compression, I'm assuming that some cats compress heavier for smaller file sizes.

BeatsBuY said:
ya man. Let's exchange links and you should make tutorial DVD's. Yea!

We can definitely do that. I upgraded my hosting plan and I didn't know that they were going to point my domain name somewhere else. I actually have to log back in and upload my files unto a new server, I'm going to Georgia instead of driving back up to Baltimore next weekend so my site will be down for a couple of weeks. We can definitely exchange links as soon as I get it back up. Check your pm.

misscc803 said:
Nice site man and I def will be promotin it on otha forums i will be on and Ima def promote this forum on the otha sites to. Good Lookin out fam.

~1~

Welcome to the forum fam and that would be a definite good look. My site is down right now and won't be up for a couple of weeks but I'll make sure I have it up the weekend after next.

Back