Bathroom as a vocal booth?

Somewhere I've got a picture of Steven Tyler doing vocals in a shower. Damn nice shower too... I'll try to find it and post it.

Drew reamping means playing the dry recorded signal back through an amp and recording that, used a lot with guitars esp bass, for a vocal just use a speaker and play the dry through that in the bathroom or whatever and put a mic in there and record, make sense?

Found it!

Steven Tyler singing in the shower. That's an AT mic right?

Attachments

• SteveTylerVoc.jpg
    SteveTylerVoc.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 281
I made a really cool recording in the bathroom once..... sweet jam about looking in the shower, and how I was in there earlier.

And of course "now I'm siiinging into the siiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnk", and toilet flushing in stereo.

Anyway, I've actually kinda wanted to record drums in the bathroom before.... Never tried it, though. I picture a drumset crammed in there (the drummer I usually play with has no problem fitting his set in a small area), room pretty much the size of the set.... like a close mic on the kick, and a pair of cardiod LDC's facing away from the kit with the "front" picking up mainly reflections.... Loud drums in small space, probably compress it heavily.... should definitely sound interesting at least.

Hi guys, wish I would've seen this thread earlier, cause I would've posted. I turned a studio apartment with a bathroom into my studio. I knocked everything out, removed the toilet and sink, and turned the stand up shower into the vocal booth/reamp booth?.

But, I deadened everywhere in the room with duct board w/canvas over it. In the shower though, I made the duct board panels removable, and I occasionally use this on electric guitars. It kinda makes it have that 70's Brian May type of small room verb. But this is application specific.

My advice...save the money on auralex, cause it's not going to help in a tiled room. You will end up spending 500 damn dollars just for absorption material. Instead go to your local air conditioning supply store and buy duct board (sheets of 4x10 cost about 20-25 bucks), cover with canvas, screw into the walls.

The main thing to remember is that although a tiled room may work in some (and I do mean some) instances, for vocals you want the room to be as dead as possible.

Hope this helps..

-Kierkegard
Blue Room Productions

blueroommusic said:
Hi guys, wish I would've seen this thread earlier, cause I would've posted. I turned a studio apartment with a bathroom into my studio. I knocked everything out, removed the toilet and sink, and turned the stand up shower into the vocal booth/reamp booth?.

But, I deadened everywhere in the room with duct board w/canvas over it. In the shower though, I made the duct board panels removable, and I occasionally use this on electric guitars. It kinda makes it have that 70's Brian May type of small room verb. But this is application specific.

My advice...save the money on auralex, cause it's not going to help in a tiled room. You will end up spending 500 damn dollars just for absorption material. Instead go to your local air conditioning supply store and buy duct board (sheets of 4x10 cost about 20-25 bucks), cover with canvas, screw into the walls.

The main thing to remember is that although a tiled room may work in some (and I do mean some) instances, for vocals you want the room to be as dead as possible.

Hope this helps..

-Kierkegard
Blue Room Productions

Thanks

I was looking at the bathroom and it would take quite a bit of Auralex to cover it. I covered the tile floor with carpet. That made a huge difference but I'm nowhere near my goal. Ductboard eh? I'm going to look into that. Thanks!

It's a great way to make a home-brew reverb effect. Run an effects send to an amp feeding a single speaker. Place the speaker in the bathroom somewhere and mic it from a fair distance. Bamo- reverb "effect". All kinds of possible variations using speaker and mic type/placement, volume, eq, etc. It's fun to mess with. That's how it was done in the "old days" I think.

It would be pretty convenient.

If you had to relieve yourself, you wouldn't have to get up and go all the way to the bathroom to do so. And you wouldn't necessarily even have to stop singing. You could just whip it out during the guitar solo or something. If you had to go number 2, though, then you might need to re-adjust the height of the microphone.

Old, but THAT was witty!

recording vocals in a bathroom wont sound as good as it does when you sing in the shower.

from what I understand, the tiles, mirrors, ceramics, and whatnot will get rid of only certain frequencies and you won't receive a good balance. It virtually deadens the room.

there. I dont know much about it but I took a shot :D

Back