Basement rehearsal room issues!

5stringer

I need advice for treating my jam room. We play in my basement which is approx. 20' wide x 7' tall w drop ceiling tiles x 23' long. There is carpet down there and paneling. We hung heavy velour black curtains all around the band for looks and immediately noticed some deadening of echos. Next I made (12) 2x4x2" absorber panels from 2" oc703 and hung them every 8' or so around the room. Problem now is low mid mush. The room actually sounded more balanced w/o the treatment. I know I need bass traps but im not sure how / where to hang them with the drop ceiling and how many I would need. Any advice?

This is for rehearsal? Keep subtracting panels till the room is live enough. For me rehearsal rooms are easy if you spend alot of time in there.

I think the heavy drapes AND OC panels are a little much. Neither is doing a very effective job of absorbing low frequencies, and really, you are just make the low frequencies reflections more prevalent in the room by absorbing so much of the high frequencies with your current treatments.

Hemholtz resonators tuned to low-mid frequencies would probably be more effective in making the room sound "balanced", along with maybe a slight bit of high frequency absorption. But really, if you could diffuse your high's, and absorb the low-mids, you would be right on track.

Decent hemholtz resonators are not that hard to make, and since you already have a bunch of OC product, not too expensive to make, probably around $30 a box tops! A room that size, between 4-6 of them would be good.

Back