Bare Bones Acoustic

Hey Mike, I appreciate the kind words. On that landmines song, I'm not sure if you're talking about the acoustics or the electric, but THANKS!!!! It can't be the electrics because I'm a hack at getting decent electric tones, but anyway, here's the chain for all the guitars.

Acoustic - Larrivee D03R -> AT4050 -> Firepod -> Adobe Audition. I treated them with a plugin called PSP Vintage Warmer on a setting that basically compresses, takes out some lows, and adds some top end. The reverb is digital...something called "RoomverbM something". I use it for all reverbs. Kind of a long setting on the early reflections and pretty short for the late reflections. That's probably more than you wanted to know, lol.

Electric - It's my son's Epi SG tracked clean direct. I used Amplitube on it to wash it in a ridiculous amount of reverb and some distortion. I don't know what settings are on there, but I can look if you have that plugin. I usually just start with some "classic clean" preset and add gain until it reminds me of something that doesn't suck as bad as I do.

Yeah, we've recorded 3 CD's...we started when she was 14, I think. This is the last one before she goes off to college. I haven't updated the site in forever, but a bunch of our recordings are here: http://www.betteroffdad.com/content/view/15/1/

We co-wrote most of the stuff on that page: This CD is all her in terms of the writing. Man, I really need to figure out how to update our music page, lol.

Thanks again for the post and the interest.

Great stuff from both of you. I checked out the site. That's a very impressive catalog of work for an 18-year old to have behind her! I'm from Texas, and I've been to/played at a few of those places. :)

Chris,
I like the song & the performance.
The guitars sound fine to me
I listened to the song as a bass player - if you add bass it'd need to be a fairly melodic line. I'm, unfortunately, a root note, walk & back to root note player and so can't offer anything to complement the song.
As said - good song well reformed & recorded.

Thanks Alice and ray.

I hate to do this, but since this thread got bumped anyway, here's where it sort of ended up after adding drums from jordokid.

Thanks for listening to the early versions.

I love this!

Wish I could get an acoustic sound like this! I hear a bit of Brandi Carlile vocals sound in there. Nice:)

Well done!

Checked out "Golden Apples", really nice song...guitar sounds great...and those vocals are fantastic! Congrats on a fine job.

The drums and bass have really taken this song in a new direction. I like it a lot. If you ever "come into town" for a gig, let me know.

Cheers,

I greatly prefer the "bare bones" version. Very cool tune, and beautiful voice.

hehee...I probably wasn't clear. That punked out version was intended as a sort of a joke...however, I think we're going to use it as an alternate version...maybe a hidden track or something.

I thought this thread was dead, so thanks to Queepy, Michael, John, chili, and dkerwood for listening. We've been working on the rest of the songs, so I kinda' forgot this one. But I went ahead and uploaded the most recent version. Same link as up top...or here:

Thanks again for listening...it may have gotten worse, I don't know, lol.

This is sweet! I really like it a lot. Lots of pure honest energy in the performace and a fine recording as well. The singers voice is very nice technique-wise, but more importantly, she has a lot of personality and expression in her singing. Exellente...

Back