Avril Lavigne "Im With You" kick drum???

Johnalex

I am working on a school project where I have to mimic the original recording of Avril lavigne's "I'm wih you". I have a handle on most of it except for the kick sound. It is almost a sustained thump, very unique sound.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on going about getting this type of kick sound.

Thanks

Without knowing what you have to work with it's hard to say.
Try an Aquarian super kick II head. Use 2 mikes, 1 inside 2 inches from the head, half way between the center and the shell. The other one just in the hole of the front head. (you need to have a smaller hole in the front, not the giant one in the center of the head that you see sometimes)
Don't fill the kick up with pillows, If you need to dampen the head, roll up a towel and put it against the head and tape it there if you have to.
The idea is to dampen the head without filling the drum up and diminishing the volume of the drum or damping the shell.

Given the artist, I would say there is an 95% chance that all of the drums are replaced with samples. See if you can get a clean sample of the sound you want, and then use that.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Farview said:
Without knowing what you have to work with it's hard to say.
Try an Aquarian super kick II head. Use 2 mikes, 1 inside 2 inches from the head, half way between the center and the shell. The other one just in the hole of the front head. (you need to have a smaller hole in the front, not the giant one in the center of the head that you see sometimes)
Don't fill the kick up with pillows, If you need to dampen the head, roll up a towel and put it against the head and tape it there if you have to.
The idea is to dampen the head without filling the drum up and diminishing the volume of the drum or damping the shell.

Thanks ..I Am going to try that out. I track tomarrow night, so wish me luck.

Johnalex said:
I am working on a school project where I have to mimic the original recording of Avril lavigne's "I'm wih you". I have a handle on most of it except for the kick sound. It is almost a sustained thump, very unique sound.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on going about getting this type of kick sound.

Sustained thump. Hmmm. Without listening to the song (sorry, my record collection is seriously light on the Avril these days :D ), I would guess there's some sort of bass synth being triggered underneath the kicks. That's kind of how most pop and R&B artists get the whole "sustained thump" thing going.

The other trick is to build sort of a tunnel using another kick drum, and sticking a second mic -- usually a Neumann U47 (although the AT 4047 fet seems to have some new fans), but I highly doubt Avril's producers/engineers are that "cool" to think of something like that. :D The idea behind that is to get sort of a bigger, more spacious, sustained thump deal.

I'll have to back up chessrock and light on this one. I just listened to the track and it definitely sounds like a sample. In fact the whole kit seems sample replaced, maybe not entirely replaced, but there are at least samples underneath them, which is a VERY common practice in pop music.

The most interesting part of the kick is the sustain that you mentioned. I've honestly never heard a kick sound like that before. It actually sounds like it has a plate reverb on it, but somehow it doesn't get all muddy. I never put reverb kick drums, only delay, so I'm entirely unfamiliar with the sound, but whatever they did to it, it is heavily processed. No miking technique or drum tips in the world are going to save you on this one. It's time to whip out the effects.

Blink 182 said:
if its a school project would they be able to do that?

Easy.

You can do it the old fashioned way and manually insert the sample each time the kick plays... zoom in really close and you can see where it needs to go. After a little practice, and a few hundred kick insertions you'll get the hang of it.

Heck, one time I manually inserted snare hits on top of a song that had military snare rolls thru about 60% of it. THOUSANDS of snare hits. I had like five different volume levels so I could just paste them in there fast as hell.

Or you could get Drumagog.

Either way it isn't hard to do if you have access to a DAW or software. You can manage it in Cool Edit Pro 2.0 no problem.

Cloneboy Studio said:

Yup. Drumagag and a good Roland TR-808 kick sample oughta' do it.

And to any of you who . . . actually go out of your way to listen to Avril. As in doing it out of enjoyment, then . . . well . . . let's just say . . .

. . . alright, I'm going to be nice and save it for another time.

Cloneboy Studio said:
You can do it the old fashioned way and manually insert the sample each time the kick plays... zoom in really close and you can see where it needs to go.

yeah..the "old fashioned way" eh...i guess people using....umm, actual tape are in prehistoric mode or something huh?

All this digital snobbery...slobbery globbery, gobble-your-knob-mary chicanery!

resitance is not futile and i will not be assimilated!

glimmer_doll said:
i guess people using....umm, actual tape are in prehistoric mode or something huh?

Yes. That would be an accurate assesment. :D

And I find it funny to hear an analog guy accusing the digital guy of snobery. he he. Too funny. Hello, Mr. Pot. My name is Kettle.

(without hearing the song)

My Roland EFX card has an LFO that works well on kicks. It really can increase the thump, or in somecases, I can get the early to mid '90s hiphop wave effect - ala Regulators.

Also . . . I just remembered. PSP has a plugin called "MixBass," which has a "bass synth" generator that is frequency-triggered.

It's not really an exact "808" sound or anything, but it's the same kind of idea.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Easy.

You can do it the old fashioned way and manually insert the sample each time the kick plays... zoom in really close and you can see where it needs to go. After a little practice, and a few hundred kick insertions you'll get the hang of it.

Heck, one time I manually inserted snare hits on top of a song that had military snare rolls thru about 60% of it. THOUSANDS of snare hits. I had like five different volume levels so I could just paste them in there fast as hell.

Either way it isn't hard to do if you have access to a DAW or software. You can manage it in Cool Edit Pro 2.0 no problem.

The old fashioned way is to have a hardware sampler, and triger it off the tape.

But hey, I am just a balding fat guy.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

chessrock said:
I find it funny to hear an analog guy accusing the digital guy of snobery. he he. Too funny. Hello, Mr. Pot. My name is Kettle.

yeah...i had to laugh a little bit while i was typing that...

i'm not exactly some nutty purist or anything, i mean i also do work with acid pro...but never for rock...

Back