AUX SEND HOOKUP,HELP US!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

calo

I'm trying to figure out how to hookup the aux send on my fostex VF16. the manual is less than helpfull on this(and many other)matter. any hints? I'm pulling my hare out. calo

aux hookup

the aux send jack
on the VR16 is a trs setup. I can go from that to one stereo efx, or to two seperate mono efx. this is as far as the manual takes you. what I need to know is,were do Igo from there? I want to hookup an alisis nanoverb. I think it can be used in ether mono or stereo mode. Where do I hook the out{s} from the nano to?.......little help?.....calo

If you want to hook up the Nano' to a channel insert into your board,you will need a "dedicated" Y cord. This cord has 2-mono jacks and 1 stereo TRS jack. The TRS jack is plugged into a channel insert while 1 mono jack is plugged into the left "IN" and the other jack is plugged into left
"OUT" of the Nanoverb.
If you want to use it in aux send,plug 1 cable into the aux send and the other to the Nanos'input and plug the Nano's output to the aux return of your board. If your aux sends has a L/R use 2 cables for stereo operation.
Good Luck.

aux send/return

Q, I'v been useing the insert for comp and it works fine. the aux send is another story. you see, there are no dedicated aux returns on the {digital} bourd. so I figure I'll have to come back in trough a channel,right? I can assign any channel to aux 1or2. how does this sort of hookup go? thanks for any help............calo

I have a Yamaha MD8 and the aux sends can return back to the 9-10 or 11-12 channels. The VF-16 doesn't appear to have those extra inputs, but I suspect you run them back through one of the channel inputs. I read something about an ADAT interface to access the 9-16 tracks/channels in addition to the 1-8 tracks/channels, but I'm not sure what that's all about.

Ok calo,this is what I found out. The Fostex was modeled after the British boards where there is no aux return.
The auxes on your vf16 is both a send and return therefore,
again,using a "dedicated" Y cable,plug the TRS plug into the
aux send and the mono plugs into the left in and left out of the Nano' and control the amount of "wetness" with the aux control.
Lemme know if this works!
Again Good Luck!

aux return

Q, here's what happened.I came out of the aux jack with the trs to a y cord, hooked the two ends of said cord to the left in and out of the nano, turned up the aux send of a channel that had an input signal{tried both an instrument input to channel and then an already recorded track},and got no effect, just the dry sound. Now, according to the manual,the tip of the trs is aux send 1, and the ring is aux send 2. I could see the input signal light on the nano flashing when I turned up the aux send 1 for that channel, but no efx, so I switched the cords to the input and outputof the nano. now I got no signal from aux1.I went to aux2,turned up and got a signal to the nano. So, I think the trs coming out of the board is two independant output signals{aux1and aux2}. I'm still not able to get an effect on anything. please,stop me before I kill again. I appreciate your patience and attention to an obvious newbie schmuck............CALO

So, I think the trs coming out of the board is two independant output signals{aux1and aux2}

That's what it sounds like. If that's the case, there should be a matching Aux1/2 TRS return jack. I think a matching set of TRS/Y cables for the returns would have you hooked up. For stereo, use Aux 1 for left and Aux 2 for right.

aux.aux aux

Q, I'm trying to get in touch with fostex on this, but thier site is a pain in the ass{not surprizing}. ................Pglewis, thanks for the input{heh,get it,input,heh},but no there is no aux return jack on the board. very frustrating. I'ts not that I can't get by without the auxs. I could use the insert jacks. but there are aux outputs on the thing, and I'm determined to figure out how to use them. I wish you guys could see the manual for this thing. it'a written in jibberish{spl?}. anyway,thanks for the input{heh}.............CALO

Yo calo,I'm not givin' up! I stopped by Apple Studios here
in NY (where Puff Daddy steals most of his songs).An audio
engineering friend of mine stated what was told to me earlier in the week; auxes 1&2 are bth sends and returns.
He informed me that he prev owned the VM200 which also only has sends yet using a TRS "Y" cord he was able to send a dry,then recieve a wet signal thru the aux sends,which also acted as a aux return (to a Behringer Virtualizer) . He als informed me that on 2 diff occasions,the aux on his Fostex shorted out and had to have it repaired.2-mmorrow,he will demonstrate how he uses his aux sends with outboard efx.
I will relay this info right back atcha'!
Peace.

Calo,
Thanks for your reply to my post in the Fostex forum.
As far as your problem goes, when you need a question
answered by Fostex,forget about their website. It's always way behind & totally useless. You can talk to a tech at
Fostex M-F 9-5 PST at 562/921-1112. As for me, I use a mixer
before sending the signal to the VF-16 so I don't have to deal with a lot of these quirks.
Adam

I think they skimped on any sort of internal aux busses. From what little I could find it looks like they offer the aux sends but it's totally up to you how to route 'em from there. I guess you could route 'em back to input channels like you thought of earlier. Or you could find some other way to merge your effect output with the main-outs from the Fostex (I'm assuming you're using the nano at the final mix-down stage). A small external mixer might be a handy addition, if it's an option.

Yeah.what pglewsis said. My friend routes his signals to chan 15&16.It's a waste of 2 channels,but Fostex's exclusion
of aux returns necessitates this procedure.

thanks guys,I'm going to try that. I,m not sure exactly how to do this{what an ordeal!}.Ther are some other guys discussing this on another thread. maby if you all can babysit me just one more time,I can figure out how to do the routing to make this happen.

Calo,I went to a music store and noticed that all
Fostex VM and VF mixers have aux sends and no returns.
Yet channels 9-10 and 11 are assigned as effex returns.
Try hooking up your Nano's outs to 9-10 and use as stereo.

woo hoo

I've done it. thank you all for the help. I did indeed end up useing a channel input. I tryed to explain the procedure to some people on another thread, verry confusing. but it worked ,so thanks again for the help...........CALO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back