Automatic Audio Mastering Systems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Maniac

I found some interesting mastering software that installs on your computer and automatically will master your audio track. There's a freeware version and a pro version which has a lot more bells and whistles. I tried the freeware version and it did wonders for my files... definitely worth checking out.... here's their website....

AAMS Auto Audio Mastering System www.curioza.com

Here's a sample of a mastered track using this software !!!!....A friend of mine and I did this track a few years ago, partly in my home studio and partly in his....we traded sound files back and forth thru e-mails...and ended up with this....

MP3 Player SoundClick

Here's a sample of a mastered track using this software !!!!....A friend of mine and I did this track a few years ago, partly in my home studio and partly in his....we traded sound files back and forth thru e-mails...and ended up with this....

MP3 Player SoundClick

You do realize that the only way we could tell what this 'mastering software' does is if you post a version that isn't run through it, right? Mastering really can't be done with 'auomatic' settings, as anyone here will tell you - every song is different and requires different processing.

The MP3 artifacts are *so* bad on that SoundClick link that I couldn't even tell you how reasonable the recording might be.

I can tell you that the top end is killing me -- And as MP3's have no top above 16kHz, there must be an awful lot going on below. But it's so "swished" that I can't tell what it is.

You do realize that the only way we could tell what this 'mastering software' does is if you post a version that isn't run through it, right? Mastering really can't be done with 'auomatic' settings, as anyone here will tell you - every song is different and requires different processing.

Here's the unmastered version of the same file.

MP3 Player SoundClick

Well, automated mastering can assist in determining EQ and Compression effects as well as the Brick Wall limiter for volume assist. I have a hard time setting EQ and Compression levels and welcome the assist the program delivers. I will admit it doesn't work good on all the sound files I've tried. especially the MP3 files don't work well. The developer recommends using .wav files.

The MP3 artifacts are *so* bad on that SoundClick link that I couldn't even tell you how reasonable the recording might be.

I can tell you that the top end is killing me -- And as MP3's have no top above 16kHz, there must be an awful lot going on below. But it's so "swished" that I can't tell what it is.

Sorry but the Sound Click site is all I have right now. I refuse to use Sound Cloud because they jam other people's songs in right after yours and I find that to be very annoying.

Well the AAMS software Pro Version, has 200 different algorithms to choose from. So you can pick different styles of processing for your specific song. It's not a one size fits all type of deal. You can also create your own algorithms and save your sound for other recordings. It's interesting software, I've never heard of anything like it. I like the idea that I can master a whole song or just a track if I want. Today in my experiments with it, I mastered a short vocal track, just to see what it would sound like...I was very impressed. The track came back with some nice EQ and Compression and was just a tad bit louder.

No it's not Spam. I never heard of this software until last night...I never heard of anything like it. But I really like the concept of not having to send a sound file out to be mastered. So this is one alternative. I'm very curious about it. I tried a couple of my sound tests and they came back really good. I was so impressed with it, I bought the full version right away. Here's a quick sound test before and after....

Before mastering....MP3 Player SoundClick

After mastering.....MP3 Player SoundClick

Sorry mastering guys, you are out of work, just like us recording engineers, automated bands next putting Musicians out of work.

Alan

Nah, I'm not calling spam on this one. He's been around long enough.

But I just have to imagine that by the time that you've familiarized yourself with 200 different mastering presets, you could have spent that same amount of time experimenting with a compressor, an EQ, and limiter. And I'd almost guarantee that you'd end up with ever-increasingly better results every time you applied each of those things to your master bus or mixdown. But the auto-master software will still have the same impersonal approach after all that time. You can seriously do better than some engineer's guesswork with even a moderate amount of practice with your own mixes.

I was looking at Ozone 7 by iZotope, but that was $200 on sale, $250 regular price. I didn't want to spend that much, and this was an option at $75 bucks.

I heard about it while reading the Cakewalk Sonar Forum. There was a discussion about mastering going on and a few people mentioned the AAMS software, to master your audio tracks on your computer. It was said it was the best mastering software out there. So I looked into it and really liked the concept. I tried the free version first and had really good results and decided to buy the Pro version, because it wasn't that much. I figured one mastering job on my tracks would cost me that much. I watched a few of their video's which explained how it worked. The algorithms are categorized by music genre, like folk, dance, rock, country etc...just pick out what you want and it should be pretty close. So it's not that big of a deal. I'm not saying anybody here has to buy it, but just wanted to give you guys a heads up about it. Remember it's a work in progress with a new update coming soon.

Well I mastered 5 of my songs using the LANDR program, they came out great !! I burned them to a cd and gave it a listen in my truck's sound system...my music never sounded better !!!! They sounded so good I uploaded them to TuneCore to offer them for sale.

I'm happy with it for some tracks but not all. So I tried the LANDR Online mastering service...it seemed to work better...here's a sample...

MP3 Player SoundClick

it's a simple formula - it's limited to hell, top boosted, and bass boosted. end of story. there's no detail to individual songs, and it's no different than a preset on any mastering suite. these guys just had the $ and guts to launch a website that tricked people like you into thinking this is what mastering is. and those that are too lazy to toss a limiter on. each song gets the same treatment... how is that mastering.

Well the LANDR program uses limiting, stereo enhancement, aural exciter, multi-band compression, and EQ. The program looks at your song and decides what to do with it based on what it found. I tried running 6 songs thru the program and 5 came out really nice. The 6th song had a really bad sounding piano sample in it which I couldn't fix no matter what I did. LANDR couldn't help it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back