"Automatable" VSTs

SomeDave

Hi folks,

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to mixing software, and am just playing around at this point. I recently installed a trial of Sony Acid 10, and am trying to get effect automation (AKA envelopes) working, but it seems that none of the VST effect plug-ins that were bundled with the software actually allow automation. Can someone point me to some that do? Preferably free (at least for now, since I am just testing out different software). I see some effects piles online, but none of them seem to tell me if they are automatable or not. Was wondering if anyone know of some that definitely are.

Cheers,

Dave

Most VST plug ins will allow automation. The problem is not so much with the VST, but more with the host.

For example, if you load a VST into Reaper, you can click on a track's "Trim" down arrow and get a whole mess of automatable parameters.

Acid is what is keeping you from automating the plugin. That program deals with its effects differently than most daws.

Acid is what is keeping you from automating the plugin. That program deals with its effects differently than most daws.

From all the tutorial sites and videos I have seen, people have gotten automation to work. So, I guess I am trying to figure out why none of the effect that came with program (at least any of the dozen or so that I have tried) don't allow me to add any envelopes for them.

Related problem: if I go to Acid's "Automatable" effects folder, it appears empty. However, after googling around, I see a number of posts saying that Acid doesn't automatically scan all plugins to see what their capabilities are. Supposedly, this is done to prevent a crash if one of the plugins misbehaves. Anyone know how to force it to scan some effects?

Back