A Cautionary Tale for Ableton Trial Version Users

Jon Thompson

I recently decided to upgrade from my beloved LMMS. The features are a bit clunky, especially when working with samples, so I cast about for a candidate to replace it.

Ableton lit all my candles, and most of the tutorials I've watched while learning the gentle art of production have been based on it. So, I downloaded the trial 90-day version of Ableton Live 11.

I've explored it thoroughly and am perfectly happy. I've ported my work from LMMS and got it sounding even better than before. I've tried out loads of features, mastered some tracks, and except for the rather tinny chorus and the slightly limited delay, everything looks good. I even explored the Analog and Wavetable synths which are a bit "meh".

So, with 20% off Ableton, I upgraded and opened a project.

A warning popped up. Analog and Wavetable are not available in this version of Ableton, and saving is disabled because I was using them. Ableton had just cost me £256 (normally £320), but it wants me to spend another £65 for Analog and a whopping £109 for Wavetable. That's £174 extra just to keep using these two bundled synths!

No dice. I reverted to using my lovely and free Roland JX-8p clone (the magnificent PG8X) in place of Analog, and quickly created a lush 4-VCO patch in Full Bucket Music's excellent ModulAir to replace the string section I made in Wavetable.

So, the point is, not everything you think you're getting by using the trial version of Ableton is available in Live. Check what's available VERY carefully, and only use those features, because the rest will disappear or disable saving your work when you upgrade unless you pay for them. What's galling is that the disabled features are quite basic (such as the echo effect!). This seems odd given that there are literally hundreds of excellent free alternatives to the high prices Ableton wants you to pay extra for them.

But, overall, I'd recommend Ableton Live. Just watch what you come to rely on in the Trial period ;)

That's useful info - and a bit sneaky really. You used it, liked it and paid for it to discover the small print. I guess similar things do happen in other DAWs - Cubase with three versions does a paired down version of Halion in the non-pro versions, but there is a feature chart quite obvious on their site, but I guess you could assume too? Just a case of give you everything as a trial, then take them away?

Looking at the product comparison page at Ableton, it says for Live: "Full features plus extras" but doesn't actually contain even a basic synth! The instruments only run to a drum synth, drum and instrument racks, the ability to run an external instrument, and Simpler.

Most of the effects you'd expect are actually in Live, but not Amp, Cabinet, or Echo. Luckily, there are many fine VSTs that will do these jobs.

As I said above, I'm now a firm Ableton fan, but expectation and reality was a bit of an eye-opener, and it HAS had the effect of making me think more seriously about how to use the amazing ModulAir.

I have been using Ableton now for about 12 years. It is a good live performance and recording software. However, they do not give anything away. I will say this, if you buy the full suite, they provide lots and lots of tools. Some really good, some really good if you like doing sound design and performance automation like Max for Live. But they are a "for profit" entity and they are very protective.

I will say this for them, it is very easy to sell your license or give to another user and get the full benefit of that license. But they are very aggressive when it comes to getting the money for their products.

Back