Assigning memory to certain applications?

A1A2

this probably seems silly to many of you, but...how do I do that? I know how to do it on a mac, but, on a PC?

Al

every program has a little section like on internet explorer...(i trust you are using that browser) go to tools/options/ an where you see temporary internet files and click on settings...you can up the memory from there...usually its in some kind of settings or tools or options in different programs

Are you talking about assigning priority to certain processes?

Because in XP, I hit ctrl+alt+del to bring up the task manager...then click the processes tab, right click on the process and then scroll down to priority and you can select low to high.

ok, let me explain my question again (sorry for the confusion). I meant, i could assign, say, 100mb of my 512mb of ram goes to photoshop, so I can make sure photoshop doesn't crash when I open a big file. I was told that it can be done on PC, too.
Maybe thats what trogdor was talking about?

Al

As far as I know, you can't allot a SPECIFIC amount of memory to be used for a certain application, only specify that you want one application to be 'higher priority' than the others...

Meaning probably that it will steal resources when it needs them in order to run more smoothly.

You could try doing that. Personally, I've found XP to be very stable, and haven't needed to do this whether I am running photoshop, cubase or otherwise. But give it a shot and let me know if it helps.

A1A2 said:
ok, let me explain my question again (sorry for the confusion). I meant, i could assign, say, 100mb of my 512mb of ram goes to photoshop, so I can make sure photoshop doesn't crash when I open a big file. I was told that it can be done on PC, too.
Maybe thats what trogdor was talking about?

Al

In general, NO. There are certain applications, like Oracle that you can do this with. But it is a function of the application and not the OS.

groovy, I will play with it and see if I see any improvements. I'm getting another 512mb ram this weekend, so hopefully I won't have to mess with it (i have the tendency to screw things up:p )

last question, after I get that 512mb of ram, which makes it total of 1 gig, do I need to adjust anything or just plug the chip in and let it fly?

thanks, guys

Al

Are you previously coming from a pre-OSX Mac? If so, then forget everything you knew about managing memory on it.

You don't need to "allocate" memory in Windows in the same way you needed to in MacOS prior to OSX to avoid application crashes. The only time you're going to run out of memory is if you don't have enough memory to begin with and/or you have an egregious amount of applications open simultaneously.

Of course, you could also have an application with a memory leak that just keeps eating system resources. But under normal circumstances, with apps that aren't excessively buggy, you don't need to worry about it.

Back