ASIO drivers

Paul881

Look Mom, I can play!
I use HS 2002 which only has wdm & MME drivers available. At the fastest setting and with 6 buffers, the fastest I can get is 11.3 mSecs latency. For a 2.4 Gig, 512 Meg Ram P4 running win xp, thats disapointing.

I would consider upgrading to HS2004 if I felt that ASIO drivers would provide a significant improvement. Can anyone pursuade me that would be the right thing to do? Alternatively, If I have missed a trick with my current setup, pleaselet me know:)

My soundcard is a Delta 66+omni;)

For some cards, ASIO is faster and more stable. ASIO works best for my Inca88. If it is best for you...

Hey James! Question for you here...

Paul881 said:
My soundcard is a Delta 66+omni;)

That's my soundcard these days as well. I've got a similar system...PIV 2,26, 512Mb DDR memory, two 7200rpm Seagate Harddisks.

I can get it down to 5.8ms, 2 buffers. No problems running 4 softsynths, 40 audiotracks with a couple of DX FX. I'm using the WDM drivers, but with ASIO I get the same results.

HS2004 is much more stable. And the Waveprofiler of HS2002 is screwed, it doesn't work the way it should.

I can even get it to 2.9 but then my CPU goes wild when I'm mixing.

So I keep it at 5.8ms.

What do you get? Dropouts or crackles?

PM me if you want to try HS2004. ;)

Which M-Audio drivers do you use? The 29 version are screwed, they took them down.

36 is OK. But 27 was ok too.

O, and I don't know if you tweaked your system but changing your processorsettings to Backgroundservices is NOT ok when you're using WDM drivers. Set it to Programs. The tweak only applies to ASIO.

What else did I do...

- Turn off all fancy Microsoft display crap (duh)
- Make sure your M-Audio isn't sharing its IRQ.

Still interested what problems you're having...I might have some interesting tweaks in the Aud.ini....

Pedullist said:
O, and I don't know if you tweaked your system but changing your processorsettings to Backgroundservices is NOT ok when you're using WDM drivers. Set it to Programs. The tweak only applies to ASIO.
Are you sure about this?

It makes sence, but does it really matter?

You betcha, Moskus.

I've tested it myself extensively.

Btw Moskus, I need you at the other side... ;) (does Paul881 know about it yet?)

Don't mean to interrupt the thread, but
Pedullist suggested that you check to make sure the Delta is not sharing its IRQ.
My Delta 44 was experiencing massive clicks and pops, and it is sharing it IRQ. When I go into the BIOS to change it, it always changes in relation with another device. When the Delta changes, the other one changes to the same number.

How can I stop this? Will switching the PCI slot its in make a difference?

Pedullist said:
Which M-Audio drivers do you use? The 29 version are screwed, they took them down.

36 is OK. But 27 was ok too.

I'm confused. Why is version 27 dated later (Dec 23) than version 36 (Dec 22)? Are they much the same driver or fundamentally different?

I'm running the latest drivers, 36. I don't get any crackles and pops, my card is in slot 4 which is not shared. Nor near the video card either.

I'm just trying to get my latency down to sub 5 mSecs.

So I'm interested in some tweaking, What do you suggest? Don't forget, HS 2002 does not support asio, so your tweak on the processor settings won't work for me.

Pedulist What is it that I know about yet? Is it one of those things I know I know; I know I don't know, I don't know I know or I don't know I don't know?:rolleyes:

Yes, HS2004 might be a possiblilty but I need to be clear about why I would want it:) HS2002 does everything I need it to.

Drummer4Life05 said:
Don't mean to interrupt the thread, but
Pedullist suggested that you check to make sure the Delta is not sharing its IRQ.
My Delta 44 was experiencing massive clicks and pops, and it is sharing it IRQ. When I go into the BIOS to change it, it always changes in relation with another device. When the Delta changes, the other one changes to the same number.

How can I stop this? Will switching the PCI slot its in make a difference?

Yes it will, big time.:D You need to select a slot that as as far away from your AGP graphic card slot as possible (radio interference) and in a slot where it does not share its IRQ with any other device.

SOS magazine had a great article written by Martin Walker on this very subject:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/May....asp?session=3876110c513a7a3d87863a789701c761

Bulls Hit said:
I'm confused. Why is version 27 dated later (Dec 23) than version 36 (Dec 22)? Are they much the same driver or fundamentally different?

M-audio have gotten themselves in a right mess with driver revisons. v36 is supposed to be a tweaked 27, which "nearly" worked:confused: 29 was a disaster.

Best not to ask:rolleyes:

Full saga can be read here:

http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net/...51097254&m=4693018185&r=5503082467#5503082467

If you have a few days, it makes interesting reading.:eek:

Just don't use multiple 1010's.

Bulls Hit: M-Audio works in mysterious ways...they RE released 27. Plus they released 36. If you look at the release notes of 36....quite a few things solved. I don't notice ANY difference with the 27 version though.

Paul881:

I'm just trying to get my latency down to sub 5 mSecs.

You mean, you physically can't get it down? Or you can get it down, but you get dropouts?

What happens if you change your DMA buffer settings in the Delta Panel to 256, pull your slider in Cakewalk to the left and reprofile? If nothing happens, you suffer from the HS2002 Waveprofiler bug (it seems to be doing something, but it doesn't save anything in your Aud.ini). They solved it in HS2004. I like to think they solved it because they got sick of my nagging and moaning lol :D

I'm using the WDM drivers, just like you. OK, HS2002 does what you want, but like I said....it has some serious bugs. Especially concerning the stability/latency. They've added some new tweaks in the Aud.ini that helps you to get things stable.

I thought I needed the ASIO drivers too to solve my HS2002 so I tested with the demo version of SONAR to see whether the ASIO drivers were rockin'. But you can't get a SONAR 2.0 demo anymore. And you can't compare HS2002 with SONAR 3.0, they've changed too much (it's not even comparable with HS2004 anymore). Plus, it's not IN the ASIO drivers.

So please PM me. We'll arrange a way to test HS2004, if you know what I mean? ;)

RAUHS - Refined Adults Use Home Studio

Paul,

I have the same MoBo as you, BIOS revision 1002, P4 2.4GHz, 512MB DDR 2700 RAM

My soundcard is a Terratec EWX24/96 and I can get the following latencies in HS2004XL:

64 samples/buffer @ 44.1kHz = 1.5ms
128 samples/buffer @ 44.1kHz = 2.9ms
192 samples/buffer @ 44.1kHz = 4.4ms
256 samples/buffer @ 44.1kHz = 5.8ms

This is with Win98SE

I can't remember what my settings were when I recorded Happy Haven, but I did experience some clicks and pops that forced me to retrack the rhythm guitar.

Pedullist is right regarding the improvements in HS2004, whether or not it was due to his moaning is debatable. ;) I got a particularly good upgrade deal at the time going through EtCetera.co.uk

--
BluesMeister

Paul - I only scanned this thread, so if I'm repeating something already stated, just ignore me. (Not too hard, right? :D )

Anyway, are you aware that there is a latency setting the Delta Control panel as well as in HS/Sonar. If you want lower latencies you can reduce the setting in the Delta Control panel in addition to lowering those in HS/Sonar.

I'm not at my DAW now, so I'm going by memory, but open the Delta Control Panel and on one of the tabs will will see a drop down box for latency (based on number of samples). If you lower this setting, it will lower the effective latency setting in HS/Sonar.

Be sure to reprofile after changing.

BTW, 6 buffers seems a fairly high setting. Lowering the buffer count will also lower your effective latency. With your system you should try using 2 or 3.

I think it's either a homostudio or a delta control panel problem
I was getting 2.8ms out of my old PIII 933 with a audiophile 2496 .I've got a delta 66 with my new rig and can get the latency down to 1.5,but I keep it at 2.8 so I can run plugs and synths without worry.

Pedullist, by tweaking the Delta panel buffers (my lowest number is 336), I can now get to 7.6 mSec in win 98se and 5.8 in win xp with 2 hs buffers. :) I don't know if this will give me droputs yet, but if I get down to the lowest latency I can, I can always move the slider back up;) Dachay, I had forgotton about the latency slider in the M-panel:eek: (its my age, Lol.):rolleyes:

Interestingly, changing my HS buffers from 6 to 2 in win 98 makes no difference to the latency delay number:eek: And yes, I do run the profiler after each change.;)

Maybe I should just go and buy the upgrade to HS 2004 anyway:)

Thanks for your help fellas.

Notice I didn't mention the Rugby, Bluesmeister. Villa play Man Ure tomorrow in the FA Cup. Lets hope Man Ure get the thrashing they deserve. Some hope:(

Last edited:
Okay, now we are cooking on gas:)

In win xp, I can get 1.5 mSecs, but will suffer dropouts. But at least I can start from there and work my way back:)

Thanks for all the advice guys, appreciate it.

Back