ASIO drivers only available in Windows 7 Safe Mode

hugoazevedo

Hi, there!

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Dell XPS17 (L702X) laptop which I have used for the last 2 years for music recording. However, for the last few days, no audio recording software has been able to detect the ASIO drivers for the audio interface I use (MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid), or any other ASIO driver for that matter.

The laptop produces normal windows sounds and the windows media player plays any mp3 I ask it to play, but the programs that require the use of ASIO drivers (Cubase 5, Console 1.6, etc) cannot detect them. In their ASIO driver selection menu, all it shows is "ASIO Multimedia Driver" (I'm guessing it is windows basic/default driver), but none of the several ASIO drivers I have installed show anymore (MOTU ASIO Driver, ASIO4ALL, etc).I have tried re-installing the device specific ASIO drivers, but to no avail. I have also tried uninstalling all relevant pieces of software that have been installed since I last used it successfully.

Also, I don't think that the problem is in the device specific drivers because when I start windows in Safe Mode, then the programs detect all the ASIO drivers. For this reason, I believe it must be some sort of Windows 7 service/driver that has got it self switched off/corrupted and is impeding the loading/starting of the ASIO drivers when it windows starts in normal mode.

Can anyone please help and shed some light on this?
Maybe on a way to check the health status of the relevant windows services/drivers?

Many thanks in advance!

Do you see them in Device Manager?

Control Panel>Device Manager>Sound, video and game controllers>'+' to expand list

That is odd. Have you recently installed anything? Can you try a system restore point from a date that it was working?

Maybe run Malwarebytes and see if there is some funky virus going on.

That is odd. Have you recently installed anything? Can you try a system restore point from a date that it was working?

Maybe run Malwarebytes and see if there is some funky virus going on.

Yes, it is!
Unfortunately, the system restore tool is only showing me points to yesterday.
I have already uninstalled all software installed since the last time it worked (except Windows Updates).

I ran AVG Anti-Virus and it didn't find anything. But I could give Malwarebytes a go too.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

I ran Malwarebytes and no luck. Nothing found.

I really don't want to start uninstalling Windows Updates... that gets messy and time consuming quickly.

Can anyone help with any idea? Nothing is too stupid at this point...

Thanks in advance

My suggestion was going to be to try uninstalling the Windows Updates one at a time, in reverse order. That's obviously a last-resort measure, but it sort of sounds like one of the recent updates interfered with your drivers. I wouldn't go any further back than when the trouble first started, though-- and I'd make a backup of your system first, just in case. :(

I just texted a computer tech friend that is also a member here. He helps 'saves' me when I have PC issues. He said he will be around later tonight and see if he can help with your issue.

:)

My suggestion was going to be to try uninstalling the Windows Updates one at a time, in reverse order. That's obviously a last-resort measure, but it sort of sounds like one of the recent updates interfered with your drivers. I wouldn't go any further back than when the trouble first started, though-- and I'd make a backup of your system first, just in case. :(

Yeah, trying to avoid that... especially since there are a lot of updates to uninstall and you can only do 1 at a time... Thanks, nonetheless.

I just texted a computer tech friend that is also a member here. He helps 'saves' me when I have PC issues. He said he will be around later tonight and see if he can help with your issue.

:)

Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, trying to avoid that... especially since there are a lot of updates to uninstall and you can only do 1 at a time... Thanks, nonetheless.

I know. Like I said-- "last-resort measure." Plus, if you're only going to end up having to reinstall those Windows updates again at a later date, it's just delaying figuring out what the problem with them was. But my last job was working for a software company that had hospitals as their clients, and at least one of the hospitals had a strict policy against installing the latest Windows updates until each and every(!) component of an update had been individually tested and approved as "non-problem causing" by their IT department. :eek: That's not a task I'd have wanted to be responsible for!

Sorry I'm late, had a few crazy days.

Have you completely uninstalled/reinstalled the ASIO drivers? Have you tried the other ASIO4ALL drivers?

I can help plenty with the PC, but ASIO I'm not overly familiar with (I am Jimmy's tech friend). Lets start here and I will keep checking back to the thread.

Sorry I'm late, had a few crazy days.

Have you completely uninstalled/reinstalled the ASIO drivers? Have you tried the other ASIO4ALL drivers?

I can help plenty with the PC, but ASIO I'm not overly familiar with (I am Jimmy's tech friend). Lets start here and I will keep checking back to the thread.

Hey, polarity!

Thanks for your help. I haven't had a chance to do more debugging, but I should be able to do some more tonight. I'll get back to you here as soon as I can.

Much obliged!

I will be around the house tonight, if you reply here and I don't get back with you quickly just shoot me a private message here.

Back