Are you an analogue purist?

Are you an analogue purist?

• Total voters
I also have a UA preamp.... :D
Since when? :)
Has This Engineer dragged you into it? :D
Wait, Steve!!!!!!, if you Get something from THIS GUY for a nice amount of FED's notes and start contributing to "full spectrum of music" and preventing young people from starting wars and revolutions :mad:

Just giving you hard time....heh heh heh for fun :p , so don't shoot me. Remember Ben's line from LOST: "We are the good guys, Michael" :rolleyes: :D

Attachments

• good_guy.jpg
    good_guy.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 79
I might consider myself an analog purist. I cringe a little when I borrow my room mate's interface to import stuff onto the computer.

I've been working with different forms of experimental music lately and I've been using my computer to send signals into my gates' sidechains to create various tremelo-type effects. That's about it, really :)

(Added in edit) Oh yeah, and having a second or third tape machine enables me to do almost every conceivable "special effect". Echo? Tape. Reverb? Tape. Slapback? Tape. Atmospheric, double-tracked vocals? Tape. Pitch shifting? Tape!

I know this is probably a serious greenhorn question, but how exactly is delay done with two tape decks? I've never understood it, and for some reason, I'm having trouble finding an explanation online.

Thanks

I know this is probably a serious greenhorn question, but how exactly is delay done with two tape decks? I've never understood it, and for some reason, I'm having trouble finding an explanation online.

Thanks

What I mean by "two tape decks" is that I have my "main" tape deck (my Tascam 34b) and a separate, 1970s Akai home stereo open reel tape deck, which I use for my tape effects. My primary tape deck is there just to record the effect created with my "auxiliary" tape deck. To create a really cool (or just weird) near-infinite tape echo, you create a feedback loop on the auxiliary tape deck (its output is fed back to its input) by way of your mixer. Depending on the effect that you want, you'll likely need to attenuate some arbitrary frequencies on the channel that you're piping the auxiliary tape deck's output to.

On my Tascam M-30 mixer, I might do this:
Instrument on channel 1, assigned to Buss 1.
Buss 1's auxiliary out goes to auxiliary tape deck's input.
Auxiliary tape deck's output is plugged into channel 2 on the mixer, and channel 2 is assigned to Buss 1. Roll down the EQ at 12.5k, and usually somewhere around 6-8k (this is to avoid really nasty squeals), and set channel 2's fader slightly lower than channel 1's fader.

I'll sometimes add a compressor/limiter on to Buss 1 to keep the feedback from getting too out of hand in case I make a mistake in EQing the signal... to keep the meter from pegging.

Think of old Dub tracks from King Tubby or whatever. He and other dub/reggae artists sometimes pushed the feedback pretty far, but if you adjust the levels a certain way it can add a nice echo trail to whatever it is that you're inputting into your mixer.

I don't know if I'm over-explaining this - you might've been confused by wrote because it could have sounded like I was using two separate tape decks in cooperation to create some kind of kooky tape effect.

(Added in edit) Also, I use the auxiliary tape deck to create an effect that is similar to reverb. If the instrument is on channel 1, pipe its direct out line to the auxiliary tape deck's input, and pipe the aux tape deck's output to channel 2, and set channel 2's fader at whichever point produces the desired result. This works best if the auxiliary tape deck is running at 7.5 or 15 ips.

And, sometimes, I'll use both channels on the auxiliary tape deck, so that each note I hit on my guitar (for example) sounds like three.

Last edited:
What I mean by "two tape decks" is that I have my "main" tape deck (my Tascam 34b) and a separate, 1970s Akai home stereo open reel tape deck, which I use for my tape effects. My primary tape deck is there just to record the effect created with my "auxiliary" tape deck. To create a really cool (or just weird) near-infinite tape echo, you create a feedback loop on the auxiliary tape deck (its output is fed back to its input) by way of your mixer. Depending on the effect that you want, you'll likely need to attenuate some arbitrary frequencies on the channel that you're piping the auxiliary tape deck's output to.

On my Tascam M-30 mixer, I might do this:
Instrument on channel 1, assigned to Buss 1.
Buss 1's auxiliary out goes to auxiliary tape deck's input.
Auxiliary tape deck's output is plugged into channel 2 on the mixer, and channel 2 is assigned to Buss 1. Roll down the EQ at 12.5k, and usually somewhere around 6-8k (this is to avoid really nasty squeals), and set channel 2's fader slightly lower than channel 1's fader.

I'll sometimes add a compressor/limiter on to Buss 1 to keep the feedback from getting too out of hand in case I make a mistake in EQing the signal... to keep the meter from pegging.

Think of old Dub tracks from King Tubby or whatever. He and other dub/reggae artists sometimes pushed the feedback pretty far, but if you adjust the levels a certain way it can add a nice echo trail to whatever it is that you're inputting into your mixer.

I don't know if I'm over-explaining this - you might've been confused by wrote because it could have sounded like I was using two separate tape decks in cooperation to create some kind of kooky tape effect.

(Added in edit) Also, I use the auxiliary tape deck to create an effect that is similar to reverb. If the instrument is on channel 1, pipe its direct out line to the auxiliary tape deck's input, and pipe the aux tape deck's output to channel 2, and set channel 2's fader at whichever point produces the desired result. This works best if the auxiliary tape deck is running at 7.5 or 15 ips.

And, sometimes, I'll use both channels on the auxiliary tape deck, so that each note I hit on my guitar (for example) sounds like three.

Thanks for the explanation! That helps! :)

Thanks for the explanation! That helps! :)

You're welcome!

By the way, I've been creating a lot of "tape music" lately and I've kept a journal of techniques and ideas to try out, with my notes on the effects that they create. I'm glad to share them, with some recordings, if you're ever interested. I might start a thread sometime in the next couple of weeks with links to mp3s.

You're welcome!

By the way, I've been creating a lot of "tape music" lately and I've kept a journal of techniques and ideas to try out, with my notes on the effects that they create. I'm glad to share them, with some recordings, if you're ever interested. I might start a thread sometime in the next couple of weeks with links to mp3s.

That'd be great. I'd like to hear them. :)

I dont know if Id consider myself an Anal purist. But my girlfriend seems to think Im definatly into Anal. She once told me at first she didnt like it but the more she tried it the more she really grew to love Anal. Now its soo bad that shes always asking for it...;):cool::D

I'll say... :eek:

Now we know what drew him to analog. ;)

I often wish it were called something else.

I am sorry that I remained subscribed to this thread; but I enjoyed reading poeple's thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately, my wonderful wife of 30+ years was checking emails this evening and the recent posts were there. The post a couple above this post opened up. Dang. I suppose she's wondering exactly what kind of forums I am spending time on.

I dont know if Id consider myself an Anal purist. But my girlfriend seems to think Im definatly into Anal. She once told me at first she didnt like it but the more she tried it the more she really grew to love Anal. Now its soo bad that shes always asking for it...;):cool::D

Well, you can't blame him. He's only living up to his name! :)

I had to go for the last option...much as I love tape, I ultimately have no attachment to the medium or the gear beyond the fact that it is what I'm used to and what I can afford. If I could obtain new gear, analog or otherwise, that I thought would enable me to produce better results, I would.

It's interesting 'cause that's exactly what I thought years back when I briefly ditched analogue for digital. It taught me to appreciate tape a lot more. Never looked back.:D

It's interesting 'cause that's exactly what I thought years back when I briefly ditched analogue for digital. It taught me to appreciate tape a lot more. Never looked back.:D

Same here. I was completely psyched about getting a digital recorder. :D

let me 3rd that. I started with tape (cassettes) and when the digital revolution came i jumped on. But after a while i found myself frusterated that my recordings sounded harsh and dry and lifless. Now I have been using my reel to reel to track everything but i still do dump it to digital to edit and apply a effect if needed...

Guys,

I just found out that I'm a total purist when it comes to recording and to me it means all acoustic instruments with no processing whatsoever, no digital outboard anything [prior to burning to CD], like effects units and I'm even on the fence about compressors and dbx noise reduction, less so on the dbx NR though, which I don't really have an issue with.

Basically I'm out to get as close as possible to the original analogue signal using the least amount of stuff which means a tape recorder / mixer, mics, acoustic instruments, the space I'm recording in and, if I need "effects", a 2nd tape recorder for real tape delay. Nothing more or less.

Other than Dave [A Reel Person], who I was inspired by, I wanna ask you guys if there's anyone else here who feels the same way as to this particular method of recording and if you have any further comments?

It'd be fun to post a POLL so I'll do just that.

Thanks. :)

yes, ive become a purist. i eventually would like to make my recordings a vinyl LP. maybe a one off for my own listening enjoyment.

yes, ive become a purist. i eventually would like to make my recordings a vinyl LP. maybe a one off for my own listening enjoyment.

The is a place on the web called Custom Records that will do one offs, both LP and 45. They ask for CD's or uploaded files, but told me they will take a cassette!:D

The is a place on the web called Custom Records that will do one offs, both LP and 45. They ask for CD's or uploaded files, but told me they will take a cassette!:D

They don't take 1/4" or 1/2" tape? That's silly.

If you want to make 500 12" 45rpm records, it'll cost $1,200-$1,400 at United Record Pressing. I'm going to go with them when I've finished creating my masterpiece :)

Back