are these mics decent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rythefly

Hey guys...

I haven't started recording yet but I have managed to acquire a few new mics that were good deals with hopes to eventually record. That time has come and now I'm wondering if they will serve me ok or if I will need new ones. I will mainly be recording acoustic guitars, electric guitars and vocals (everything else will be programmed or directly inputted).

I have:

- MXL 2001
- MXL 603
- Shure 58

will they work to produce high-end(ish) recordings?

The 603 is pretty popular at it's price point. Not many SDC's can compete with it for the $$$.

The 2001 has been pretty soundly beaten by a LOT of reviewers. Will it do an OK job? Probably, but for the money there are better alternatives. However, it makes a decent doorstap after you flatten one side with a sledgehammer. Will work as a paperweight in a pinch after that mod as well.

You can never go wrong with a 57 or a 58-they may never sound great, but they'll RARELY sound bad.

rythefly, with those mics and the fact that you don't have any recording experience...

No, you're not going to make "high-end" recordings to start with. You're going to make some OK-to-shitty recordings for awhile. When you get to the point that you've got a little experience and can make at least some "decent" recordings - then you could start looking at which mics could make a difference.

Dot said:
rythefly, with those mics and the fact that you don't have any recording experience...

No, you're not going to make "high-end" recordings to start with. You're going to make some OK-to-shitty recordings for awhile. When you get to the point that you've got a little experience and can make at least some "decent" recordings - then you could start looking at which mics could make a difference.

Great!! thanks for the words of encouragement, Dan! Be sure to tell me when I'm good and ready to have better mics, k.

I've got a few 603's...I've been very happy with them for acoustic guitars and over-heads...I've even used them a couple times on voices for a "different" sort of sound. They're a good value.

SM57's and 58's are always a good bet. If you're starting out...I would go with them as they're very flexible. You'll never throw them out.

sjl

Id get a decent LDC like a v67g,c1,m179....that with the mics you have for the applications listed is CAPABLE of good recordings....but like Dot said, be prepared for your abilities to catch up with your gears abilities.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back