Are all 3340 units created equal?

SongJohnn

Are all 3340 Teac units (non-3340s) equipped to run at 15 ips... ? I've noticed some have small 7" reel units and cannot take the large NAB style reels.....and some units DO have the NAB hubs. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!!!!!

So, first of all, thank you!

So even the small 7" reeled units without the big hub adapters record at 15 ips? That's unique.....the only machine that must record at 15 with small hubs.

I want to put together two replica studios: one from the mid '70s with ICs......I've already got this one: '77 80-8, '79 Model 5, a '79 Model 15, etc....

....and one based around the early '70s with transistorized units. I believe the 3340 is a discrete unit. Anybody here know of any noise reduction modules (4 track) that do not employ ICs but instead silicon transistors??

Thanks again!! Cool stuff.

The Fostex A4 also runs at 15 ips. with 7 inch tapes - guess the A8 does that too.
Unlike the 3440 the A4 won't take NABs but it's a nice and user friendly machine none the less.

Are you sure you are not confusing with the 2340? This unit was cosmetically and functionally similar to the 3340 but only accepted 7" reels and ran at 3 3/4 + 7 1/2 ips.

hmm, very interesting ... i always thought the 3340 sounded better than the 80-8 but i couldn't figure out why. can anyone confirm that the 3340 is all discrete and the 80-8 utilizes ICs?

i mean, the 80-8 sounds good, but it doesn't quite have the sparkle of the 3340 ... i always just accepted the difference in sound as a trade-off to having 8-tracks, as well as the 80-8 being more intuitive to use and more reliable as well.

oh also, there are many other decks that go 15 ips (even 30 ips) and accept 7" (or smaller) reels. decks like the ampex 440 can take any almost size reel.

Are all 3340 Teac units (non-3340s) equipped to run at 15 ips... ? I've noticed some have small 7" reel units and cannot take the large NAB style reels.....and some units DO have the NAB hubs. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!!!!!

They should all run 15ips. I have the first model with the toggle switch and that runs at 15ips and uses large reels, IF you have the hubs.

Like someone else said, the 2340's don't have a reel size switch.

So even the small 7" reeled units without the big hub adapters record at 15 ips? That's unique.....the only machine that must record at 15 with small hubs.

I want to put together two replica studios: one from the mid '70s with ICs......I've already got this one: '77 80-8, '79 Model 5, a '79 Model 15, etc....

....and one based around the early '70s with transistorized units. I believe the 3340 is a discrete unit. Anybody here know of any noise reduction modules (4 track) that do not employ ICs but instead silicon transistors??

The 3440 was the last of the overbuilt Teac 4-tracks. It had considerably better specs than any of the 3340 models. I'd be looking for that or a Tascam 40-4, which is mechanically & electronically the same as an 80-8 with a smaller heads & guides.

Interesting...can't confirm if the 3340/3340S is discrete or not...I used to have a 3340S and to this day remember how great it sounded...

I have a 3340S Service Manual but it doesn't include the parts lists and schematics. I DO have those docs for the A-2300/A-3300 series, the 2340 and the A-3440 series. The 2300/3300 are all discrete transistorized...the 2340 is as well with the exception of a pair of HA1314 IC's for the headphone amp. The 3440 uses the 4558 chip on the amp cards. I have a hunch the 3340/3340S is discrete transistorized with the possible exception of the headphone amp. I'd be interested in the definitive answer if anybody has the proper docs. Would that add "sparkle"? Sheesh...let's not start another internet fable...BUT...I HAVE heard that a little Kryptonite in the headblock doesn't hurt... :rolleyes: Okay, all kidding aside I DO stand by my very subjective opinion that my 3340S really did sound nice though. :)

From my experience of poking around in mine I would say it's all discrete. If discrete means no chips.

I have a 2340sx too and they use all the same parts.

'''''''

Last edited:

the small reeled usnits are 2340's and they run at 7 1/2 and 3 3/4 and don't run at 15.

I actually have one of each.

Back