Anyone using RØDE M5 mics ?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I was checking out their matched pairs - videos with various acoustic guitars, etc. I wasn't too impressed with their sound favoring the lower frequencies, could've just been the guitars used - one was a Seagull who's models I've always thought to be a little too much on the muddy/bassy side. One feature of these mics I was impressed with was their rear and side rejection. The optional T-Bar for stereo mounting is pretty cool.

I have a pair of M5s. I like them on my Taylor 310ce. I don't know what videos you were looking at, but mine don't "favor" the lower frequencies at all. I found the M5s to be lighter and brighter than my CAD 1200XLs, AKG P170s, or my Lauten LA 120s. When recording the 310 which is a dreadnought, it seemed like things got boomy sometimes. The M5s took some of that away. (By brighter, I don't mean on the top end, I mean less low mids).

I used them once as drum mics, but I can't remembe which time that was. Most of the time I have used the AKGs.

Thanks, Rich. Here's one of the videos - he's using a Taylor (model ?) and another different guitar I'm not familiar with (nylon strings ?). . also on a drum set. The guy's strumming that Taylor much like the way I play, so that interested me very much.

Here's a second video with the Seagull that I'm hearing as less bright, which is probably the guitar rather than the M5.

Back