Anyone enjoy playing slide guitar?

I love playing slide,not to good at it though.
I bought a Gretch historic series resonator,not quite a Dobro,but sounds good for the price.

Martin sells Dobro strings,16 gauge if you can believe it!
I put them on,sound good but all you can play on them is slide,unlessyou have iron fingers!

The only way I found to minimise noise is to lay all your fingers on the strings behind the slide,and mute a little with your thumb on the pick hand.

Robert Johnson,now there was a slide player.
I guess you have to sell your soul to the devil to play that good though!

I use to play on a slide guitar till I wore six grooves in my butt.

Fred McDowell
Son House
Robert Johnson
Sleepy John Estes
Blind Blake
Ryland Cooder (he looks so different without his hair)
Homesick James
Robert Pete Williams (killer on the slide 12 string)
Bukka White
Rory Galleger (spelling)

and many more.
I'm glad to see so many guys like the slide.

I use a Dean Performer now. I replaced the soft plasic saddle with a nice hunk of bone and raised it a bit.
I use a glass slide mostly, but also use a ceramic and steel now and then.

'cuse me, I gotta slide on outta here now, for a bit.

slide

Lord,
good tune. Slide is cool. I like standard tuning for slide. I also find that it notes better if you stay just off the fret a little. Slide can really add a lot to a tune. I use a glass slide. Much better tone than a metal one.
dtb

We did!!

Leo Kottke is my hero... his Greenhouse album really woke me up when I was in high school and I was never the same after that.

They broke the mold with that guy. Wow.

Slide guitar is the shit. If i remember right(regarding tuning), my favourite for a nice sound was using a 12 string acoustic tuned to open g. I seen that crossroads movie, and learned all the licks and especially the slow blues from that movie. Ry Cooder right?

Yep!!

And don't forget David Bromberg - try to find his early albums. One - an incredible piece of work - is Midnight on the Water Not really a slide album, but it's a must listen for anyone involved in acoustic instruments. Let's put it this way, when you have a hot band, and Bonnie Raitt and Linda Ronstadt singing backup vocals, you have some good listening...

Another one, completely different but just as good (more, really mean electric guitar, slide guitar, and a live album to boot) is How Late'll Ya Play 'Till?

When I feel like hanging the whole thing up, I have a listen to this guy because he reminds me just how hot this stuff can get...:cool:

http://album.yahoo.com/shop?d=ha&id=1800859642&cf=0

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/catalog/bromberg_d_cat.html

Last edited:
glad you liked it treeline..you've been a big help to me in the past so i'm glad to give you something in return..definetly check out some of his mp3's if you have asccess to morpheus or another file-sharing app...then if you like it buy the CD's!! their artwork is worth it.....

BTW..i bought a seagull s6+spruce recently..so I have been hidden away with it..lol..i still can't believe how much guitar I got for $349US w/hardshell case....compound bone saddle and nut..solid spruce top with 3-layer wild cherry sides and back...indian rosewood..ahhh the smell alone is worth it lol..

i really didnt like the headstock shape on the seagulls before this one......but after playing this guitar for 15 minutes i didnt care lol...

http://www.seagullguitars.com/products6+spruce.htm

next up:

larrivee L03 or L04 w/cutaway...im loving the canadian guitars..lol..:D

http://www.larrivee.com/products/products.htm

I agree with you Tom. I've got a glass one, a steel one(chrome), and a big heavy brass one. The heavy one is what I usually use.

Twist

Hey, CDT-sHaG -

Thanks for the kind words and the link. Kelly Joe Phelps came to The Barre Opera House last year and I missed him. I won't the next time!

What got me about the video was how this guy sat down and, in about five seconds, set the mood for the whole evening. No fanfare, no wingnut stuff. Just pure mastery. He had the crowd (and me) inside of five seconds. That clip is a tutorial!

Glad you like that Seagull - world's best kept secret. Pure tone.

Good job!

Forgotten slide player?

I can't believe Warren Haynes and Gov't mule haven't been mentioned heard. Oh, the humanity.

Count me amoungst the "It's fun, but I suck" crowd for slide playing. Wait, that's for almost all of my playing, my bad. FWIW, I use the glass medicine bottle sold under the "Duane Allman Slide" name. I've tried everything from ceraimc and brass to old socket wrench pieces, to making my old bottle neck(fun with white gas and string!). This is the first slide that feels comfortable. YMMV.

Chris

Back