Anyone enjoy playing slide guitar?

FZmontanaDF

I find it pretty fun. I would like to get a Dobro once I have some money, and a nice electric set up for slide. Do the Allman Brothers type thing.

Yeah! I really enjoy it. I just bluff my way through it and I can get any chick I want to sleep with me.

Yeah! I really enjoy it. I just bluff my way through it and I can get any chick I want to sleep with me.
This always works for me too. Almost as well as my "show me your tits" pick up line, which is usually followed by "I guess a blow job is out of the question, huh?".
I like playing slide but I'm just a hack at it.

I'll second the "Ry Cooder rules" note! I think he used a modified Strat for most of his slide work in the past. I think he also uses a glass slide. Never saw him live. I did see SRV play slide a long time ago. I'm pretty sure he stayed in standard tuning, and he used the slide on his middle finger. This was back in Dallas/Ft Worth before he was famous.

There are different styles of slide (oh, boy!). So you might want to think about what style you are most interested in playing before spending the bucks on a guitar. Although, I'd love a Dobro myself!

I got a mexi-tele to use just for slide. I use a fairly heavy glass slide most of the time. Fun stuff to do. Too bad I suck at it. Oh well...

It's a style of guitar playing where you use a glass or metel tube over one of your fingers to stop the strings. Think old Allman Brothers.

what finger do you put it on? Mine is usually on my pinky so I have the others to play with.

What about tunings?
My guitar teacher just turned me onto Open D

Speaking of good slide guitar.

I think Ian from Big Wreck is an excellent slide player. Check them out sometime.. Especially the solo from Overemphasizing off their first album.

People seem to develop their own styles. Some use the slide on their pinky. I feel more comfortable with it on my ring finger, as it is more controllable there, and I can still use the first two fingers for fretwork. Slide work looks easy but is pretty subtle.

I use open G and D; sometimes open C. You can get some interesting effects with DADGAD tuning as well. I tried using standard tuning, but it just doesn't click. Maybe because I'm playing acoustic and can't get away with just a little hit. Leo Kottke is my hero... his Greenhouse album really woke me up when I was in high school and I was never the same after that.

I'm still looking for a really good slide. Here's a place where for fifty bucks you can get one made from a material so rare and expensive it's called unobtanium.

www.martinsimpson.com

Enjoy...:D

I play some slide, mostly in open D tuning. I like to use the slide on my ring finger and then I'm able to play some two finger chords. I use one of the 1972 reissue telecasters that has two humbuckers.

Ry Cooder is great, did anyone catch the TV special he did on the Buena Vista Social Club?

The tuning depends on the song. open tunings are sometimes easier to play.

Yeah I like Ry Cooder, but I still love Duane Allman, Bonnie Raitt, and David Lindley is awesome.

Twist

does anyone have great tips using a slide? I don't get a clear sound with it, I play to many dirty notes in between.

Hey you slide players,
Do you raise the strings on your guitar for slide playing? I read you get a better tone from doing that.

Back