Anybody use SDCs for vox?

I just posted a bunch of songs here: SoundCloud/NigelSleaford/The Hollows Where We Wonder, with lead voice recorded with either AT4033a or ATM10, an old battery powered Omni condenser. I can’t tell them apart, and that’s probably because it’s the same untreated room, close miked and quiet singing. Recorded through Zoom Livetrak into Logic. BTW, I’m newly registered here, hello everyone.
Welcome! I'll check your songs out soon with a decent pair of cans on :) Looking forward to them!
I loved your songs! Each one had a unique take on the coherent vibe of the album. The performance and production was top-notch to my ears as well. Great job!
I've actually taken to listening to more laid-back folk music these days, and your music falls perfectly within the mellower sub-category of that genre.

As far as the mics you used, I was unable to tell them apart :) but I think they both suited your voice very well. I'm currently working on a mellow bluesy/funky/rock-ish song right now featuring the above-mentioned Shure SDCs. So far, they are the mics best suited for capturing my vocals.

The mics I collected just sounded, well, like omnis, so I tried them on a couple of guitars and different things happened. I pulled out a nylon string one and a 12 string. The nylon also got captured nicely by the SM7B, but the 12 string was added to my list of do not use mics. The three omni SDCs did better.

I loved your songs! Each one had a unique take on the coherent vibe of the album. The performance and production was top-notch to my ears as well. Great job!
I've actually taken to listening to more laid-back folk music these days, and your music falls perfectly within the mellower sub-category of that genre.

As far as the mics you used, I was unable to tell them apart :) but I think they both suited your voice very well. I'm currently working on a mellow bluesy/funky/rock-ish song right now featuring the above-mentioned Shure SDCs. So far, they are the mics best suited for capturing my vocals.
Thanks so much for your kind comments. I’m proud of the collection, just wish I had the energy to promote or take them further. Regards to you.

What can work well is doing backing vox with SDCs, for sonic contrast with the lead done on a regular large-diaphragm mic.
Position yourself (or whoever else sings backing) slightly off the smaller mic to create audio 'perspective' even as you track it.

C.

Back