anybody use ntrack?

Just started using it. Seems to do everything that I need it to and I haven't really found any complaints yet. Really easy to use and cheap...my two big qualifiers.

3.3 here also. I've used Cubase, ProTools and recently flirted with Cakewalk, but I keep coming back to n-Track to perform specific tasks because it's easy to work with. A good example - in Cakewalk (HomeStudio 4) the process involved in rendering my MIDI tracks to audio involves a number of steps where I need to check or uncheck several menu boxes. In n-Track, there's an automatic rendering function on a pull-down menu - no messing with my sound card settings or anything else.

Another good hands-on example would be that it usually plays nicely with both DX and VST without having to have an adapter or anything else that adds to latency or complexity.

Not sure how good it would be for working with the masses of tracks in your typical over-produced L.A. pop session, but for the 10-25 tracks in my typical session (I submix a lot along the way) it works just fine. I've used it for demos, released CDs, theatrical scoring and SFX work at a professional level. Make sure you check out their compressor and parametric EQ plugins - *great* tools for very little $.

Overall, you can't beat the price, Flavio (the designer/owner) is good about responding to e-mail for support and there is really supportive forum support for users of all levels. It's one of the most civil forum communities on the 'net and a big plus for using n-Track.

No connection with the company other than I've had various versions of their software on my desktop for several years.

Tio Ed
Austin, Texas

alexspetty said:
Anybody use N-Track?

seems really inexpenive and good!

Naaawwww, we hang out here and post thousands of messages 'cause we got no jobs and use Cakewalk 1.0....

:-)

(Used N-Track since 1.5)

TexasMusicForge said:
I've used it for demos, released CDs, theatrical scoring and SFX work at a professional level. Make sure you check out their compressor and parametric EQ plugins - *great* tools for very little $.
Has anyone else tried their compressor/parametric EQ? Just curious, as I've heard very little about it... How much $ does it go for?

I finally bit the bullet and moved to 4.? from 3.3. I loved 3.3 as it was rock solid, but I recently bought a UAD-1 card and the compensate plugins latency setting did not work very well. V-4 it works great, all in sync. A few bugs in it but very usuable. Glad I upgraged
Larrye

cellardweller said:
Has anyone else tried their compressor/parametric EQ? Just curious, as I've heard very little about it... How much $ does it go for?

They're both very smooth, have excellent presets and there's a frequency spectrum analyzer tool inthe parametric EQ that is worth the price of admission all by itself. I don't know what Flavio is currently asking for the plug-ins, but they compare very well with the Waves plugins I use in terms of quality.

Tio Ed

I've recorded 62 tracks in one song with N-track, and had no problem, other than it boarders on the cpu capacity. I'm running a P4 2.4 w/HT and 1 gig of PC3200 ram. I'm sure when I upgrade to the 3.0 /HT and 1.5 gigs of ram, the amount of tracks I can run at one time will far surpass the number I could ever use. If anyone is interested here is a song I recorded on N-track:

Check out "Hopes Fading", done on N-track at:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2878&alid=-1

Any comments on it are welcome.

I have to say that N-track is the best value, and most user friendly of all the recording software.

I have to say that N-track is the best value, and most user friendly of all the recording software.[/QUOTE]

Toker
I agree with you on that. I'm using the 4.04 and no problems at all. I regularly try out my cubase vst thinking that I must be missing something, but ntrack does everything I need and is a lot easier to use.
I liked "Hopes Fading" very much. I'm still trying to figure how to record decent accoustic guitar, would appreciate some hints.
keep it up.

cellardweller- if you get the version 4 it has the compressor and eq built in.

What's it cost to upgrade from 3.3 to 4.0???

Aren't they up to 4.0.4 now, or something?

If it's $25 or so, I may go ahead and upgrade... soon...

If you registered version 3.3 after February 11'th 2004, the version 4 upgrades are free.
However, registration prior to that date does cost $25.

Below is the contents of an email I received from Flavio .................

n-Track Studio v4.0.4 has just been released!

Download the new version following the download link from the n-Track
homepage http://www.ntrack.com

n-Track Studio is a multitrack recording program with support for
realtime effects as DirectX and VST plug-ins, audio and MIDI tracks, 24 bit
soundcards and more.
Download the evaluation version of the program at
http://ntrack.com/download.shtm
Buy the program now at http://ntrack.com/register.shtm
If you've registered n-Track Studio after the 11th of February 2004 the
upgrade to all 4.x versions is free.
If you've registered the program prior to that date you can upgrade to
n-Track Studio v4.0 for $25 at http://ntrack.com/upgrade.shtm

What's new in n-Track Studio 4.0.4

- Freeze function for audio tracks, group, aux, instrument channels and
MIDI tracks (free Cpu resources used by effects plug-ins)
- Aux channels properties dialog box
- Shaded channel name/properties button
- Changed group mute/solo so that tracks not sent to a soloed group are
muted and can't send signal to aux channels
- Tooltip on volume evolution node shows volume level even when not
dragging the node with the mouse
- Fixed problem with beeps after live input processing is used for more
than 25 minutes
- Fixed MIDI notes from instruments plug-ins getting stuck

What is n-Track Studio

n-Track Studio is an audio & MIDI multitrack recorder for Windows.
A complete recording studio in your PC: all you need is a soundcard and
some free space on your hard disk to store audio data. The program
supports simultaneous recording from multiple 16 and 24 bit soundcards, and
real-time audio effects can be applied non-destructively to each track,
allowing the user to listen immediately to the result of a change in
the parameters of an effect. Built-in effects include Reverb, Dynamics,
Multiband Compression, Echo, Pitch Shift, Chorus Parmetric EQ, Linear
Phase EQ & Spectrum analyzer.
The program can use third party DirectX and VST plug-ins to process in
real-time audio signals in a number of different ways. Effect can also
be used to process the recorded signal in real-time so that the
computer can act as a multi-effects device.
MIDI tracks can be imported end exported to regular MIDI files, and
edited using the built in piano-roll based MIDI editing.
When all the tracks have been recorded and all the settings are
correct, it's possible to mix-down all the tracks to a single wave file for
recording it to a compact disk using a CD recorder or for distributing an
mp3 version through the Internet.

For more info and to download an evaluation version please visit
http://www.ntrack.com

It still seems to be going through a bit of bug fixes at the moment, so I'm still holding off on using version 4 exclusively. It appears to be maturing quite well though.

HTH

sheldrakes said:
I have to say that N-track is the best value, and most user friendly of all the recording software.

Toker
I agree with you on that. I'm using the 4.04 and no problems at all. I regularly try out my cubase vst thinking that I must be missing something, but ntrack does everything I need and is a lot easier to use.
I liked "Hopes Fading" very much. I'm still trying to figure how to record decent acoustic guitar, would appreciate some hints.
keep it up.

cellardweller- if you get the version 4 it has the compressor and eq built in.[/QUOTE]

I can only tell you how I did it. I used an Oktava MK319 about 6" away from, and aimed at the 12 fret, a Marshall 603 about 1' foot away between the hole and the 12th fret, and plugged the guitar in direct. There are 3 different guitars on "Hopes Fading", 2 Ovation 6 strings, and an Ovation 12 string. I did not use the 603 on the 12 string, and only used the 12 very light in the mix.
I do not recommend Ovation guitars for recording, though. It's very hard to get plastic to sound like wood, even with a $1500 Ovation. These are great guitars for live, but a pain to record in a studio.

Anyway, to stay on topic....all of this would have been a lot harder to do with Sonar, Cubase, or Protools...I have tried them all, and kept going back to N-track.

kedman said:
HI Like the blues tune, I'm on linux and coundn't get the first one.
Love the horns though, you record them live?

Cheers
Bob

Yup, the horns and piano were done live. I try to avoid synths when I can. Not because I am against them, but because I like to get the experience of recording as many different kinds of instruments as I can.
I'm thinking about bagpipes next... :D

Back