Any young engineers here? ( 25+ under)

I'm 20 and my mixing is better than my tracking. I tend to fix a lot of tracking errors while mixing. It has a lot to do with my small room while recording drums. vocals, guitar, & bass sound good though. Plus I havent worked with really great bands. Been recording since I was 14. Recorded a few thousand songs and I make a living by working in my basement. You can check out my myspace but the pictures are really outdated and the songs are too.

I'm 23 ... learned almost everything I know by scouring through this bbs for a couple years in my teens. I don't even try to make real music though. I make terrible, terrible hellishnoise, and never really meant for anything better.

Mic placement. The room. The sculpture of the mix (make room for one thing by carving another). Have a little list of typical frequencies for various drums and instruments. Experimentation beats anything you'll ever read. Put on the headphones and move the mic around your amp, listening to the hiss change.
You will never get gold out of incoming muck. Don't forget to press record.

Experimentation beats anything you'll ever read.

I don't disagree with this at all - but I find that experimenting with the things you read is the second best way to learn. The best being (hands-down) working with a great producer and absorbing their wisdom.

I'm 25, just coming up to 26. does that mean I'm going to be "old" as from March? :P

My mixes are ok... but always improving. It's my mastering that's lacking...

I'm 37.

And I love coming around here laughing at all of you dumb fucks who don't know what the hell you're doing yet.

:D

Because when I was your age, I had a lot of old farts (like I am now) laughing at me. So I think it's only fair I "give back to the community" so to speak.

I'm 26, so I guess I'm just over the cut but I'll reply anyway. My mixes are alright, nothing special. Actually, I think they're not too great, but perhaps I'm just overly critical. I haven't done anything in a while, as I've been in the long drawn out process of moving my setup from my band's old practice space (where I also did recording) to my house. I've also upgraded my gear a bit, which is nice. I hope to eventually open up a small room over here on the east side of Cleveland.

I don't have a site yet, but you can hear some stuff I've done here (first two songs on the page) and here (REALLY old stuff, like 2+ years, before I got a lot of my current gear).

The second one is my current band, though I wasn't in the band at the time I did the recording.

Oh yeah...I wouldn't call myself an "engineer". Recordist will suffice.

Last edited:
Back