any DPA or Schoeps users here?

jnorman,

sounds like you're willing to drop some pretty darn big bucks with DPA, etc. in the discussion... Well, assuming your recording space is already sounding good and your A/D and clock is high enough quality, I'd VERY much be considering a matched-pair of C451/ C452 with both cardioid and omni caps, with the Stephen Paul Audio 0.9 micron mod! Next best thing in the world to a matched-pair of SPA 0.9 micron KM53/ KM54 mics, when it comes to SD condensers!!!

Of course, that's completely on the end of the spectrum from DPA...

Yeah...while 8 x 8 wouldn't be ideal, if treated properly it could still allow him to cut dry tracks better than in an untreated room. I mean, technically a string quartet could set up in a room that size, or a violin soloist. Anyway, the point is I would start with the room. That makes complete sense for recording classical music.

Beezoboy

Brent Casey said:
jnorman,

The Collette setup is basically flat and quite accurate unless specified to be otherwise, i.e. low cut, "Warm", high freq. emphasis, etc.
The C4 has a small resonant peak, but is also pretty darn flat, with the exception of a slight increase near 10kHz in cardioid and about a 1dB shelve from twelve to about 25kHz. That said, the C4 comes across as being a bit darker than the Schoeps in my a/b's. This is probably perceived in a lower frequency range around 4kHz-7kHz. Both mics start to behave differently as sound information increases both harmonically and in amplitude - the Schoeps handling the highs in a lovely if somewhat metallic fashion and the C4's in a bit thicker but smooth character. Placement can affect such an outcome and I find both mics relatively easy to position, although the two mic's locations are not necessarily interchangeable. This is however, is how my a/b's are generally conducted - with the mics placed as coincident as possible.
Perhaps you should try the C4's against your selection and let me know what you think. I should have my updated production prototypes within a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Brent Casey
Studio Projects Microphones
877-563-6335

Thanks Brent, thats the most helpful info I've read about the C4 as of this time (so far).

Beezoboy said:
...while 8 x 8 wouldn't be ideal... technically a string quartet could set up in a room that size...

that's a frightening image! :eek: :eek: :eek:

let's see, if the cellist could play standing up, if the mics could be hung from the ceiling since there's no room for stands, and if the players could be convinced to use shorter length bows...

Ummm, I think I'll take my chances with a natural space... like maybe the one at Sunridge Studios he's already been successfully using to record classical flute and harp.

Ok I would argue the 8 x 8 thing further (because I have seen it done, well not recording but practicing), but you guys are right about 8 x 8 being absurd.

Delete the 8 x 8 thing and just stick to me saying that I think he should treat his room. There. :P

Beez

Beezoboy said:

Delete the 8 x 8 thing and just stick to me saying that I think he should treat his room. There. :P

I guess i must have missed the part where he said his room needed treatment. Why are you assuming that acoustic renovation would be more cost efficient than buying better mics? Maybe he already has a fantastic sounding room. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

It's alright man, but you just lost any chance of ever borrowing my U87 for a project! :) Just kidding man, actually I'd loan it to you for a project if you really needed it. I wonder how often this happens on this BBS? I know mail and mics don't really mix to well, but if I was within driving distance (and could drive legally, and learn to stop speeding ) of BBS members I would love to make trades for a couple weeks at a time. What a great way to test other mics for free. Of course that is another thread!

Beezoboy

I note the age of your post but am interested in your decision as I'm having the same debate. Having been using Neumann KM184 stereo set I have decided that they just aren't giving me what I'm looking for. They seem to lose a lot of warmth in the lower mids and it's not a transparency issue as I can hear the live sound and notice the difference on the monitored sound. I therefore consider either the DPA 4006 or the Schoeps my best option. I'm just an amateur and I can't afford to have a wide selection of microphones so need something that will have the versatility to record most types of sound at most locations. For outside work I use a Pearl MS8 in a Rycott, but indoors need something better.

My recorder is a Nagra LB and I record mostly choirs, organ recitals and orchestras.

While I think I will either go DPA or Schoeps, I do have a nagging doubt and wonder if I should also consider the AKG 414 stereo set. They are very versatile and I've always been very happy with AKG in the past.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Gary

Well, in the end I went for the versatility (and cost effectiveness) of the AKG C414 XLS/ST. Not tried them in anger yet but early results suggest they are going to be excellent.

Be really interested to know what the original poster went for and how they got on.

Last edited:
Back