another USB vs Firewire question

riccol

An I understanding it right that if I'm only recording a track or maybe two at a time, not a reall difference between USB or Firewire interface?

What about playback with lots of tracks. Is that affected?

(hey newbie forum right?)

Playing back lots of tracks is all gonna happen on your computer. Your processor and Ram is gonna determine how many tracks you can play back at once. All the computer sends to the interface (I'm assuming you're monitoring through your interface) is the stereo mix of all those tracks. So, as long as you're only recording one or two tracks at a time, then yes, you're right in thinking there won't be a major performance difference between firewire and USB.

Hey thanks
I don't know as much as I should, but I have a quad core desktop system that for the simple songwriting audio stuff I do just cannot bog down.

But my work is taking me on the road for nine months. I have a work supplied laptop that I am taking at least to record some guitar stuff and ideas. Not sure what the laptop can handle but at least I should be able to do something
so i am trying to decide on an interface.
Even could take a little dmp3 that I forgot I had with me to do stereo stuff. So thinking of the ECHO firewire 2. The four has pres but is a hunddred more and probably the dmp3 pres are better.
One of my decent pres is small (Speck 5.0) and I can take a couple of mics and guitars with me. I will be in the same place for a couple or three weeks at at time.
Any advice apprecitated

Man, that ECHO 2 looks fine. With the DMP and that speck, you shouldn't need any preamps on your interface, as you'd have to spend a lot more on an interface to get one with preamps that sound better than what you have.

One thing to keep in mind is what size Firewire input you have on your laptop. I might be getting the numbers wrong here, but I believe they come in four-pin and six-pin, and that the Echo has a six-pin output. A lot of laptops have only a four-pin input. You can get a cable that goes from six pin to four pin, but the interface won't be powered through the firewire cable and you'll have to use a wall wart with it. Not a huge problem, but something to keep in mind.

With the outboard gear you've got, all you really need in an interface is the best quality AD/DA conversion you can afford. That ECHO 2 really does look like your best bet.

Man, rereading your last post, this looks like an opportunity to do something really cool.
If your work schedule allows it, set a goal that you'll record and mix a set number of songs before you come home.
Working within those time constraints, and especially with the limited amount of equipment can really force you into coming up with new ideas and workarounds.
Wish my job sent me places.:p
Have fun.

Hey thanks Cancers!
Very helpful. and yes really looking forward to the travel, starts in a couple of weeks and will really be able to focus for a while.
You were helpful in my decisions!

Back