Another OD Thread (Fulltone)

Ember

Well, I've been doing a lot of research and I just wanted to show my personal setup and see if anyone is using a similar setup and has any suggestions for me. I am looking for a new overdrive pedal, I currently own a ts-9 and I have a mxr doubleshot for my heavy dirstorion sounds. Basically I am looking to improve my overdrive quality in the studio, I am somewhat unsatisfied with the ts-9 as far as rythm distortion and lead distortion in the studio. I am mainly looking at the fulltone OCD right now and somewhat looking at the fulltone fulldrive 2 as well. I would love to hear suggestions and even other recommendations for od pedals. Thanks!

Relevant equipment:
Fender Blues Jr.
Les Paul Studio
Fender Strat Standard
Ibanez Ts-9
MXR-doubleshot

The FD2 is just a straight copy of one of the original TS-808 circuits, with a few modifications that you can toggle. The TS-808 isn't that huge of a difference from the TS9. So unless you are somewhat close to the sound you are looking for while using the TS9, I don't think a FD2 will offer you are looking for.

I would look into a compressor, especially for lead.

Those Visual Sound pedals look and sound good. Something different.

Spending hundreds of dollars on OD pedals just seems silly to me. It would make more sense to purchase another amp that is actually voiced more to your liking that doesn't require OD pedals.

Spending hundreds of dollars on OD pedals just seems silly to me. It would make more sense to purchase another amp that is actually voiced more to your liking that doesn't require OD pedals.
not exactly in the budget, and I prefer to have a more portable sound than that as I already have multiple amps and I like driving tubes with OD pedals a lot.

There are a lot of famous songs with famous sounds that had the contribution of a pedal. Having a great amp is important, but there is nothing wrong with pedals...especially when it comes to recording.

There are a lot of famous songs with famous sounds that had the contribution of a pedal. Having a great amp is important, but there is nothing wrong with pedals...especially when it comes to recording.

I'm not arguing that point. I'm just saying that if "I" owned an amp that required me to spend $300-$400 on OD pedals to get a good tone that I'd be shopping for another amp. If you guys prefer the tone of diode distortion boxes to that of pure tube tone then "rock on".

I'm not arguing that point. I'm just saying that if "I" owned an amp that required me to spend $300-$400 on OD pedals to get a good tone that I'd be shopping for another amp. If you guys prefer the tone of diode distortion boxes to that of pure tube tone then "rock on".

I don't know anyone in their right mind who would spend that much money on a distortion or overdrive pedal but a multi FX processor like a Boss GT10 OTOH is a different story all together.

Try a KLON Centaur and you might change your mind about that.

I'd also look into the Lovepedal stuff, especially the Pro Valve.

Fulltone is great, as long as you want to sound like the 50,000 other guys that are using them.

I don't know anyone in their right mind who would spend that much money on a distortion or overdrive pedal but a multi FX processor like a Boss GT10 OTOH is a different story all together.
but then you've gone digital and some folks don't care for the sound of digital pedals ...... I'm one.

I just got a Full Drive 2 and the sound is very reminiscent of my 808 however, it is WAY more versatile and one of its' coolest options is to use it as a clean boost in a way that I can't do with my 808. And it has a boost switch where you can have a slight crunch for rhythm and then hit the boost for a more sustainy lead tone.
It's really a much different beast than the 808 but outlaw is correct, the tonality if very similar ..... a strong, thick, midrangey sort of character.

i gotta say, i tried to like the fulltone 2, but walked away with a Barber Direct Drive SS.

just like it that much better.

you gotta try stuff to know....

i gotta say, i tried to like the fulltone 2, but walked away with a Barber Direct Drive SS.

just like it that much better.

you gotta try stuff to know....
different strokes for different folks ........ I have a Tubeworks tubed pedal. Someone told me it's similar to a Barber or was an early design of his or something like that. Anyone know?

there's so many variables when it comes to pedals. What guitar do you use into what amp and how do you like your tone settings anyway. What p'up do you tend to use. I go for the neck most of the time ..... center position a lot too but almost never the bridge by itself ...... how loud do you play ....... the variables are endless.
Plus there are a zillion distortion/overdrives and each one of the damned things has it's own sound. It's amazing how many different ways distortion can sound. I'd like a Barber, or put my Tubeworks on the board but I have to stop somewhere.
I could have a dozen dist/od's easy if it were practical to do so.

bob-
yeah, i had a tubeworks pedal years ago...
it's nothing at all like the barber direct drive.

the DDSS is probably closer to the OCD than the tubeworks...
you're right, about them all being different.

the great thing about the barber is, to me, the price for performance.

I bought my son a FD2, and I wish I would have had it back when I was gigging -- as Lt. Bob says, I think the selling point may be more in terms of versatility/usefulness than sound, although I like the sound(s).

If I had had it for gigs, I could have taken a lot more control over my sound (away from the sound guy :) ) -- the clean boost is great, and the distortion sounds are mostly very useable and can be tweaked to cut clean through the mix. A lot of the guitarists around town here use them, and I so I hear them in action from time to time.

In the "studio" and around the house, we don't use it much, to tell you the truth, but as a tool for live performance it seems like a great thing.

What about the BK Butler Tube Driver...

Fulltone's are great btw, but I bought a BK Butler Tube Driver for $100.00 off CL and it is everything I ever wanted in an overdrive pedal! Eric Johnson uses one and so does, I believe, David Gilmour. For "distortion/fuzz" I use my good old tried and true Big Muff Pi. I play through a Blues Jr. and I also own a Les Paul Studio, and Fender American Std. Strat (plus several other guitars)...

in a completely useless post, i will note that i am picking up a full drive 2 after work today, excite to try it out this weekend.

Daav

Back