Analoy delay pedal question

famous beagle

Hey everyone, does an analog delay pedal (with BB technology) have a bit of noise (like a hiss or "rushing" sound) normally?

I picked up an EH Memory Boy, and I really love the sound of it, but I noticed that when the delays come in, they're accompanied by a slight hiss or rushing sound. The noise isn't there when the pedal is engaged and the blend is all the way dry (so I'm not hearing the delay). It only starts when the pedal starts generating a sound of its known (i.e., the delay).

It's not loud or anything, and my head was pretty close and in line with the speaker (I was playing through a little Roland Micro Cube, which sits on a shelf, so it's ear level). I don't even know if I'd notice the sound if I were a normal distance from the amp.

I was just wondering if this is normal for analog delays in general or if something is indeed faulty with the pedal. It's really almost like a noise gate in reverse. When I'm not playing at all, it's completely quiet. But once I start playing, the noise shows up, and once the delays have faded away, so does the noise.

Anyway. Thanks for any input.

Yeah, a little bit of hiss is an artifact of the BBD chips used in analog delays.

Ok, I was thinking that might be the case. I love this pedal. You can get some crazy, yet usable sounds, and I love the way the standard delays sound.

I've a memory boy - great pedal! Can't say I've noticed much of a hiss, though the analogue stuff does seem to have a louder noise floor than other delays I've used. It's possibly just my mind playing tricks given the overall output is that bit woolier.

Back