Amateur Set-up: Will this work?

Chris Burks

I bought a series of converters and cords to try to improve my recording situation. I use Audacity as recording software.

I'm using a 3.5mm (1/8th inch) cord to connect from my computer (input slot) to my amplifier through a 1/8th inch female to 1/4" male (line out slot). This by itself, with the amp on, causes a massive amount of static that does not go away no matter volume or amp settings. When using a microphone into the amp through an XLR to 1/4" converter, the hiss becomes louder and if the volume is turned to a substantial level, my speakers emit an unbearably loud squeal.

If i cut the PC out of the equation, using my mic in my amp produces a loud hiss as well.

The funny thing is, when I plug my guitar into my computer through my amp, it works. Though the same "massive amount of static" results from using the line of of the amp, my guitar at least records viably otherwise.

I also picked up a short 1/8" M to XLR F cord to plug my mic directly into my PC's sound card through the "mic slot" and my PC doesn't seem to acknowledge the mic's existence. Audacity doesn't pick up any sound being put in through the mic.

So, that's what is happening. I'm 18 and using a really basic set up, obviously. I don't know much on this subject. My question: Is there a few things I can do to cancel hiss and make my equipment usable? Or is this set-up simply not going to work? Thank you.

I think you would be better with a cheap USB interface - Behringer do one for about £25
Sounds like there are level issues with trying to match balanced and unbalanced inputs - the line input on your PC will be more tolerant of this.
Most PC sound cards are rubbish and even the cheapest external interface will be better.
Laptops often also cause problems with the PSU plugged in - try it unplugged and see if it makes any difference.
Good luck

Thanks for the helpful advice. What exactly would I be searching for, however: "USB interface" is only bringing up external hard drives.
Edit: Also, I'm using a desktop PC that I built, not a laptop.

Start by looking here. Basically you want something that will turn your mic (xlr) into a usb/firewire signal.

If you have a price range that would help me suggest some to you.

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/

This one is $80, I've never used it but I have used many tascam products and have never been disappointed.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US100/]

Edit:
here it is for $60 with free shipping and no tax
http://www.amazon.com/Tascam-US-100-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B002QQC1ZI

It lacks phantom power but your current set up didn't offer phantom power anyways.
This is a cheap good start if you decide you love recording and decide to do it more than spend the money for something with more features but always start cheap so if things don't work how you want, you are not out much money.

Thanks very much; I still lack basic knowledge of recording methods and hardware, so this is very helpful. I will look into affording an interface like the one you suggested.

Just re-read your post - you would also require a small mixer for this to work but it's still a very inexpensive setup..

Try... XENYX 502 about $35 plug your guitar / mic in here...
And... Behringer UCA222 about $25 plug the mixer in here and plug this into the USB port of your PC

Bingo! fairly decent 2 channel recording!
Good luck

Just re-read your post - you would also require a small mixer for this to work but it's still a very inexpensive setup..

Try... XENYX 502 about $35 plug your guitar / mic in here...
And... Behringer UCA222 about $25 plug the mixer in here and plug this into the USB port of your PC

Bingo! fairly decent 2 channel recording!
Good luck

I have a UCA222 sitting in my basement if the O.P. wants it I will send it to him for the price of shipping.
That way he will only need to buy the mixer.

I'm definitely interested in the interface you have. I'm researching both devices that bruiser mentioned right now. Looking at connecting the XENYX 502 to the UCA222, would I just need a 1/8" M-M cable to connect them through the input/output slots? Also, what is the significance or left and right input/output channels on each device?

Okay so here is how it works. You have the mixer and you take the rca in's and outs of the mixer and connect them to uca then the uca converts it to usb. You connect the usb to the computer and you have sound.

Around 3:10 he discusses it not to well but good enough.

Thanks a lot man, you have really helped me out. That video is really informative and helpful for me, and I think the hardware that bruiser suggested would be a solid investment for me to purchase. I'll contact you through private message about getting the interface from you, gdavi.

I'm glad we've fully addressed the PC recording connection part of this, but I'm still wondering if you could offer any advice about connecting my mic directly to my amp. It's a 15 watt guitar amp, i've been using it for about a year and a half. when I plug my mic into it using a female XLR to male 1/4" converter, there's a large amount of static, and if I get to close to the amp with the mic, a loud squealing feedback is emitted from the amp as a result. Is there anything practical I can do to combat this issue?

Last edited:
So you are connecting a microphone into a the input on a guitar amp?
and when the mic gets close to the guitar amp you hear feedback?

Chris

Search this forum for the newbies post that Tim O'Brien always attaches to any "how do I get started" thread. It'll be in the sticky up the top as well as in countless old threads.

Read.

All is explained...

Good luck.

Chris - your basic problem is guitar amps are not made for microphone use! Guitar amps have a preamp in them to boost the very low signal from pickups. You don't mention what mic it is (obviously dynamic), but the amp pre-amp is taking that mic signal, boosting it and giving you all that noise (much of which may be created by your XLR-1/4' adapter, too!)

As already mentioned, you need an audio interface device that will convert the mic signal to USB, basically something LIKE THIS.

I watched the video - helpful in the main but I would add, try to be economical with your cables, use as few interconnects as you can get away with, otherwise it can be confusing... as with the vid the guy uses a mono connector to connect 2 stereo cables = bad....

I watched the video - helpful in the main but I would add, try to be economical with your cables, use as few interconnects as you can get away with, otherwise it can be confusing... as with the vid the guy uses a mono connector to connect 2 stereo cables = bad....

yeah, that cable hook up was just odd.

Hello and thanks for all the help! I've purchased a XENYX502 mixer and a UCA202 interface. Will it work if I only use one of the left or right inputs or will I need to use L and R for this to work?

Back