Am I getting a good deal? $450 for a used drum set

john14

Hey, so I am completely new to drumming. Honestly I've never played the drums before, but I'm extremely interested in starting and have been for a while. I'm willing to invest some money into it too, but I don't want to spend too much on a set that isn't worth it. A good friend of mine offered to sell me his drums that he has probably had for at least 2-3 years. He used to play regularly but just does not have the time anymore. He said that he was thinking to sell them for about $450 and in the description of them, he says that the set is...

"Groove percussion brand, has Evans hydraulic drum heads, double kick pedal (for
bass drum), damper rings for bass drum,10" sabian splash cymbal and stand, 20"
pastie ride cymbal and boom stand, 16" crash cymbal and stand. 13" sabian hi hat
cymbals, and a cowbell"View attachment 87300View attachment 87300

***I'm hoping that those pictures attached

Basically, if you could just tell me if $450 is a good deal, a bad deal, or about an average deal, that would be great!
Also if you have any other suggestions as far as drums go or other forums I should visit, that would also be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
It seems a little pricey to me....groove percussion is pretty low end, crappy B8 cymbals, no bottom hoops or heads on toms, cheap hardware and stands....I would think $2-300 is more realistic for that....and $300 would be pushing the high end.

thats an ok deal. That groove percussion kit is about 400 new. It seems that the lugs for the bottom heads are completely gone. Combine that with evans hydraulics and you will have the worlds most dead sounding drums. It also seems to include a piccolo snare which isnt really what you want. The cymbals arent anything special but they will get the job done.
The most I would spend for that kit is 300 and even then you might be able to find something in better condition. You could do a lot better for 450.

Aright, I had a feeling it was a bit pricey. I'll still try to buy them off of him if he cuts down the price, but I'm not really in a rush. Are there any other drum kits that you all would recommend for someone who is just starting? I'm not looking for a crappy beginner kit, but I also don't really want a pricey high-end kit that is too complicated for me to even play. I also don't have a set price range, more than $450 might be a bit rough though. I just want a solid kit with some bang (pun) for my buck! Thanks and any suggestions would be great!

Search your local craigslist. You should be able to get some pretty decent stuff for 450. Guitar center used is good too.

Yeah I'd buy that and cymbals for $300, tops. I'd try shooting for $200. I've purchased better quality drumsets than that for less than $200 (no cymbals).

Back