Alternative cover of Demi Lovato's "Skyscraper"

guitarplayr82

This song is just going to be used for an internet video, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like it to sound pretty good. I know the vocal recording isn't super great throughout the whole song, but it'll have to do.

Please let me know anywhere I can improve. Also, please tell me how you think the vocalist sounds. Thanks! :)

Vocals sound like they're in a shoebox, but in my opinion that's more of a performance issue. They lack balls pretty much....Rest of the mix is pretty good although the guitars in the intro could be a bit louder.

Vocals sound like they're in a shoebox, but in my opinion that's more of a performance issue. They lack balls pretty much....Rest of the mix is pretty good although the guitars in the intro could be a bit louder.

Thanks for the feedback. What exactly do you mean they sound like they're in a shoebox? Are you sure it's nothing I can fix in the mix?

Thanks for the feedback. What exactly do you mean they sound like they're in a shoebox? Are you sure it's nothing I can fix in the mix?

Sounds to me like they are just really muffled and they need to be EQ'd seem to be missing clarity which is probably upper mid range and high. They seem pretty dark to the point of being muddy.

Sounds to me like they are just really muffled and they need to be EQ'd seem to be missing clarity which is probably upper mid range and high. They seem pretty dark to the point of being muddy.

Thanks, that clears it up a bit. I'll work on them tonight.

Well seeing as how I'm one of like probably 3 dudes on this site that actually knows this song, I'll help you out :)

The vocals are definitely really murky. I'd try playing around with some eq to get them more clear if I were you...

Also, this is like waaaaay low. I think you should have bumped it up a key or two to record it. When you're doing the verses you're singing so low that it causes you to lose clarity in your notes and pronunciation.

And just as a side note, I know it's an alternative cover and I'm not trying to hate on your style or anything, but I wasn't feeling the semi-reggae vibe at all. Kinda made the song lose the original emotion that makes it what it is when Lovato (who is super hot btw :D) sings it!

Well seeing as how I'm one of like probably 3 dudes on this site that actually knows this song, I'll help you out :)

The vocals are definitely really murky. I'd try playing around with some eq to get them more clear if I were you...

Also, this is like waaaaay low. I think you should have bumped it up a key or two to record it. When you're doing the verses you're singing so low that it causes you to lose clarity in your notes and pronunciation.

And just as a side note, I know it's an alternative cover and I'm not trying to hate on your style or anything, but I wasn't feeling the semi-reggae vibe at all. Kinda made the song lose the original emotion that makes it what it is when Lovato (who is super hot btw :D) sings it!

Thanks for the tips. I agree that the reggae vibe really isn't there at all. I've learned from this project that emotional pop ballads aren't meant to be turned into happy reggae songs :) Luckily, this track is more of a test of some techniques and equipment rather than a final product that we would promote. This song might never be published, so it's all good there. I'll fiddle around with it some more just to see how it can sound, though. Thanks again!

I agree with some of the others. The tempo is too slow for the steel drum vibe. Vocals are too quiet and too mushy. Its almost he was too microphone shy. Going up a few keys could probably help.

Back