Alternate tone control

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
I have a Tele copy with 2 humbuckers that I installed a couple of push/pull pots in to have 2 volumes and coil splits for the pickups. I wanted a tone control but didn't want to drill into the top in case of a slip-there is no pickguard.
I found a picture of the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II-it has a acoustic pickup with the controls on the back control panel plate-and I thought it was worth a try.

I wired a master tone and used a moldable plastic and a heatgun to countersink the tone pot like the L. P. Ultra.
Here are a few photos of how it turned out..

Attachments

• Les Paul Ultra tones.jpg
    Les Paul Ultra tones.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Black Tele-top-crop.jpg
    Black Tele-top-crop.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Black Tele-bottom-crop.jpg
    Black Tele-bottom-crop.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Black Tele-bottom-closeup.jpg
    Black Tele-bottom-closeup.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 93
you installed a tone pot on the electronics cover?

Yeah, I didn't want to put it into the top since there was no pickguard-and the top looks nice and minimal as it is-so I countersunk the tone pot and cut down the shaft as well as the knob itself. The moldable plastic made it all work out fine, the knob doesn't change unless I want it to.

That's pretty nice.

Thanks a lot-it was that Gibson tone control setup for their on board Piezo pickup that made me think it was definitely worth the effort.

That's really nice - the top of the knob is flush with the back of the guitar?

Yes it is, using a heat gun I warmed up the center and was careful not to warp the edge-I wanted to have a tight fit around the back access plate. I then used a small socket to push the plastic in while keeping it flat for the tone pot-the socket also dissipated the heat and started cooling the area quickly.

I've played this Tele a lot since I made this mod and the tone control stays in place very well! Sorry I haven't replied, I didn't get and response for so long I figured it was long forgotten-thanks for the vote of confidence, Chef!

I thought this was gone from the forum, it must be in the archives.....any way- thanks for the comments and checking out the post!:D

Back