Alright what do ns10s sound like?

Personally I think the amp they’re paired with does make a difference.

Way back I had the supposed ‘holy grail’ Yamaha power amp. (On extended loan) It was actually a very good amp.

When that had to be returned I tried various different amps. I settled on two favorites.

One was, believe it or not, a home stereo receiver which was excellent. A 79 Kenwood KR 9400 @120 watts RMS per channel. I’d just set everything flat and it was great. Still have it.

The other is a Bryston 3B which is a great amp that I’m still using to this day with the NS10s.

I could be wrong, but I think the Yammies do best paired with an amp that has tons of headroom.

I also think if one is going to use them, it’s crucial to listen to a lot of excellently recoded, mixed and mastered CDs through them. One of my favorites is Tom Petty’s wildflowers.

With someone unfamiliar with them, not being able to hear the bass properly will lead to turning it up. And then anywhere else you’ll have too much.

Again, get to know them with good well done material.
yeah makes sense my amp doesnt have a lot of headroom just using what i have now till i get a better amp...
they sounded great through vinyl
sound like there going to explode with my computer if i turn up too high though
so i keep the volume lower and they just sound a little too bassy
i thought they would sound like a can of bees the way evryone described them online...
very thats why i like to try things myself and not take other peoples word

So what are you mixing for? Mr Bloggs, or people with specific gear? Only they get the benefit. Please - read the posts carefully. I never even mentioned Bob Clearmountain. Maybe he did or didn't use toilet paper, but here in England, it was a talking point. Look - let's drop this. I know what I know, and you've read a great deal. Some you got spot on. Some you've got the wrong end of the stick.

We buy different mics because they sound different. So do speakers. Rooms sound different too. Further down the scale are things like a Neve Pre vs an old MCI. Some folk can even detect frequencies above those that they can hear. Then we get to amps. Poor amps can colour the sound - people speak about Class A, B and D, and discuss the benefits of crossover distortion, or not - or switch mode artefacts, but the point is that amps that colour the sound are tone controls, or if they do it intentionally, they're processors, not just amps. So many great tests since the 1970s where the hifi folk made themselves look foolish by testing regimes where they knew an amp was two grand and another was two hundred, but failed in a double blind test. The Yamaha Corporation were not slow to market amps that gave NS10s a bit of punch - but that's just because NS10 speakers sound much more impressive loud - another indication that they are not very linear.

You have some NS10s. You like them. Let's just get on shall we? You'll never convince me, and clearly you don't believe me. That too is cool with me. You won't convince the masses of recording folk that hate AKG C1000 mics that they're good, and those that have lovely old analogue gear know that they're not exactly the best thing we have available now in recording technology, they're however, very nice. I still have one of Yamaha's first digital reverbs, and I like it a lot - especially Munster Cathedral program. However, as a reverb it's 30 years old with 30 years old artefacts.

In recording and audio - I've learned that so many people have beliefs about the subject based on no real science. It's best to let them spend their money on gold plated connectors, Platinum IEC connectors and loudspeaker cables with arrows to show which direction to use them. A little bit of physics goes a very long way. The Internet is full of NS10 owners at the moment who are arguing like mad about which amp to drive them with. In my video studio, the RCF 5" monitors are connected to a rack mount amp, that says 2600W on the front. The reason was simple - it was top of the pile when I needed an amp. I couldn't care less about the spec, I've never even bothered to look. It's an amp.
just mixing for myself for now . i think its the way the amp changes the way the speaker sounds is what i was trying to say. the amp will drive the speaker in a different way depending on how powerful it is. kinda like how you put different tubes in a power amp the speakers will project different frequencies or different wattage amps will produce more headroom. im sure you have a great amp with your speakers. I'll do an update if i ever get a yamaha

Wow 6 pages on a Yamaha speaker.

I had a pair of them in the early 90's. They were OK.

To answer your question, 'how did they sound?'

They sounded 'OK'. They are small little speakers, so not sure what exactly people expect out of them. They had a reasonably
flat response, but outside of that, nothing astonishing about them. Did the mixes I make magically translate to every other sound system in the world?
No, they did not. That was one of the big selling points of them, at least when I bought them, back in the day.

They are an antiquated product, with a lot of intersting history. It was a good choice 30 years ago, because we didn't have as many choices back then.

You'd do better off with some of the speakers from Amazon in the $100 - $200 range. Bookshelf speakers with a flat character.

EL
theyre not flat, they have a midrange hump in lower and upper areas so that when you get them tamed others systems will sound ok

they should translate more now then ever in my opinion were in the days of the harsh muddy mix...

the average speakers and headphones youd be suprised how muddy they sound its scary seems like only getting worse by the day...

my new dell laptop 2023 model computer speakers sound so bad and muddy the bass kick sounds like undefined mud

apple airpods... undefined garbabe across the spectrum... i think we need certain tools these days to counteract and futureproof songs that we make

maybe its just me though i prefer a smooth cleaner midrange sound i dont like a thick and muddy harsh sounding songs

someone else may prefer that sound and thats cool but not for me...

Hi there,

I'm currently considering purchasing a pair of Yamaha NS 10 monitors in excellent condition. The seller is also offering an Alesis RA-100 amplifier to go along with them. I'm curious to hear the community's thoughts on whether this amplifier is a worthwhile investment or if I should focus solely on acquiring the speakers.
Specifically, I'm interested in knowing:
  1. How well does the Alesis RA-100 pair with the Yamaha NS 10 monitors in terms of sound quality and compatibility?
  2. Are there any known issues or concerns with the Alesis RA-100 that I should be aware of before making a decision?
  3. Would investing in the amplifier significantly enhance the performance of the Yamaha NS 10 monitors, or can I achieve satisfactory results with just the speakers?
Any insights or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,
Andres

Attachments

• Screenshot - 2024-02-02T100010.007.png
    Screenshot - 2024-02-02T100010.007.png
    261.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot - 2024-02-02T101835.316.png
    Screenshot - 2024-02-02T101835.316.png
    356.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot - 2024-02-02T101822.307.png
    Screenshot - 2024-02-02T101822.307.png
    572.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot - 2024-02-02T101810.132.png
    Screenshot - 2024-02-02T101810.132.png
    538.2 KB · Views: 4
The amp is fine. I doubt anybody can hear differences in this kind of amp. The alesis sampson and similar amps are pretty good and cheap. NS10s are OK speakers really but unworthy of reading too much into the ‘quality’. They were designed to be reliable but average sounding speakers. The sort of sound typical of the hifi systems of the day. If the NS10 sounded good then all the folk with Japanese speakers would be happy. Just don’t fall into the trap of thinking they were special because they were popular. Studios with amazing full range loud boxes needed something boring to check mixes on. Nothing more. Nowadays we have decent small speakers so the need for NS10 type products vanished. They are accurate in the midrange can have harsh cymbals and hats and don’t have low bass. A decent working pair are useful once you know them.

Hi Rob,
Thank you for your insights and feedback.
I've decided not to proceed with the purchase. The owner is asking for USD 1000... They are in quite good shape but after reading your insights and some other data I feel they really are not necessary at this moment... I believe it's prudent to explore other options within my budget and requirements.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Best,
Andres

Hi Rob,
I've decided not to proceed with the purchase. The owner is asking for USD 1000... They are in quite good shape but after reading your insights and some other data I feel they really are not necessary at this moment... I believe it's prudent to explore other options within my budget and requirements.
Best,
Andres
Its all of how you use them.
I have the original version and they can pick out flaws in mixes, but I don't feel comfortable doing a full mix on them. I ran a Yamaha pc1002 amp with mine for years after the original home stereo amp died. Then I switch to powering them with a SET tube amp because that combination somehow amplifies the flaws in mixes. Since I was using the speakers for that instead of mixing.

Currently I have 4 different monitor sets to choose from the monitors I bought over the decades. Ns10 are really close to the API speakers I have. But the API speakers don't reveal mids getting walked on like the NS10 do. My 1980s JBL 12" 3-way monitors are nice but I noticed over the years the highs are not as loud (probably needs a crossover cap refresh). And my Yamaha HS8 are very flattery with a lot of bass.

I wouldn't consider the NS10 a $1000 speaker set with amp. If I had to sell myNS10 with my tube amp I would charge like $800 because I have about half of that invested into building the tube amp that would retail somewhere in the $1200 range for something equivalent to it.

NS10's really don't match well to what you're doing. In fact, the concept of tube amps is alien to most studios. The pleaant distortion they introduce is beloved of listeners, who appreciate what it does to the signal. Studios tend to want to hear everything as it is for everbody - not just those who drift towards a different hobby style listening experience. We are striving to keep hum, noise and distortion to an absolute minimum. NS10s have history and we've done it a lot on this forum recently.
Personally I hate their sound. Opinions differ, but they were introduced when studios had big mega sized, very load monitors - way before the concept of sub bass speakers. So when you mixed bassy and heavy rock, you knew the folks at home were not going to hear what you were hearing - so in came the NS10 - a professional, tough loudspeaker that sounded like the hifi speakers most people had on their Japanese Music Centres and hi-fi systems. They were not designed to be good speakers, they were designed deliberately to sound like the quite average hifis of the day. They lack bass and the treble was too much for some people, who believe it or not taped toilet paper over the tweeters!

This is why people use NS10s. I had my first ones in 1994 (from memory) and they were just decent speakers that tended to reveal flaws. If your mix was OK on NS10s, then that was a good guide that it would be as good, or perhaps better on a few systems.

I totally get that some people like tube distortion in guitar amps, I absolutely don't want amps that change the sound after the point where I record. DrTechno loves the sound, I hate it - that's OK, we all like and hate different things. On ebay at the moment somebody is asking a grand for a pair - totally crazy!

I've heard a few different pairs of NS10's over the years. For what it's worth.....the only monitors I ever thought came close was a pair of Tannoy 501a Reveal speakers. Light on bass and strong clarity and accuracy in the mids and highs. I still have the Tannoy's although they're not my go to speakers anymore.

Mick
Hi Mick, I have a pair of Tannoy Reveal 5As. I don't know if they are similar in sound to the 501s? Mine are definitely not short of bass, I use them dead flat for my personal listening and out of a MOTU 5A. I am often surprised at the bass response from these small boxes.

Dave.

LS3/5 were such a great design they hung around for a very long time. NS10s were just, well, NS10s. 100% NOT special, but very useful as speakers No.2 in your studio.

Do check out the plethora of very good, relatively cheap powered speakers (nearfields) by Kali and other manufacturers. The strides being made in speaker technology are amazing. Also, try Ebay for a used Adcom amp, if you do get speakers that need an amp. (I have two of them). They're quite good amps, and you would be hard-pressed to notice a difference between them and an amp costing far more. And, last but not least, there is Slate's VSR, a headphone monitoring system that models various rooms and spaces, boomboxes (I haven't checked, but maybe even NS-10s, though I couldn't care less about that!), etc. I just got it and am experimenting with it now, so I'll let you know, but it's gonna be a while on that.

I’ve got quite a few amps in the store. Mostly 19” rack amps from 50 ish Watts per channel to some able to manage over 2k. I can swap them interchangeably? I’ve never noticed any sound better or worse until they get stressed. When one amp died, I temporarily replaced it with an 80’s Technics hi fi tuner amp. It’s still doing its thing ten years later? I’m intrigued by this notion of some sounding less good. You mention this amp I’ve never come across as good but modestly priced, and sounds as good as more expensive ones. That sort of says others are not as good, so I’m wondering in what way? We bang on about speakers and mics, and rooms, and they are all easy to hear, but once you lose distortion in an amp, are they not all supposed to sound the same?

Hi Rob,
Best,
Andres
hey sorry for the late response but the ns10s are extremely misunderstood i have them now with an adcom gfa 545 and it sounds hi fidelity compared to my vintage auratones. id say buy a pair when you get the chance and good news if you dont like them they will hold there value . they cover all your frequency ground unless your doing really low bass stuff and even if then ns10s will still translate . if you really want fundamental just straight midrange i reccomend vintage auratones 5c . yamahas have your fundamental high mids and lows with fast transient response you wont be dissapointed when paired with a vintage yamaha p2002 or adcom 545 amp

NS10's really don't match well to what you're doing. In fact, the concept of tube amps is alien to most studios. The pleaant distortion they introduce is beloved of listeners, who appreciate what it does to the signal. Studios tend to want to hear everything as it is for everbody - not just those who drift towards a different hobby style listening experience. We are striving to keep hum, noise and distortion to an absolute minimum. NS10s have history and we've done it a lot on this forum recently.
Personally I hate their sound. Opinions differ, but they were introduced when studios had big mega sized, very load monitors - way before the concept of sub bass speakers. So when you mixed bassy and heavy rock, you knew the folks at home were not going to hear what you were hearing - so in came the NS10 - a professional, tough loudspeaker that sounded like the hifi speakers most people had on their Japanese Music Centres and hi-fi systems. They were not designed to be good speakers, they were designed deliberately to sound like the quite average hifis of the day. They lack bass and the treble was too much for some people, who believe it or not taped toilet paper over the tweeters!

This is why people use NS10s. I had my first ones in 1994 (from memory) and they were just decent speakers that tended to reveal flaws. If your mix was OK on NS10s, then that was a good guide that it would be as good, or perhaps better on a few systems.

I totally get that some people like tube distortion in guitar amps, I absolutely don't want amps that change the sound after the point where I record. DrTechno loves the sound, I hate it - that's OK, we all like and hate different things. On ebay at the moment somebody is asking a grand for a pair - totally crazy!
You see I altered the purpose of mine. I built the tube amp a special way so it would make what is wrong stick out more. Guitar amps are not really program audio tube amps. Obviously you never heard any clean high end tube amps for program audio.

An observation I recently discovered is my powered galaxy hotspots sound like the NS10 when I power them on a regular amp.

I'm not sure what a clean tube amp even is - most seem to thrive on what they do to the sound? I just cannot subscribe to that. Surely, what is needed of an amp is gain and no distortion, or at least as close. An amp that changes the sound can't be helpful, just as in speakers that change the sound can't really be things to judge what is fed into them?

I'm not sure what a clean tube amp even is - most seem to thrive on what they do to the sound? I just cannot subscribe to that. Surely, what is needed of an amp is gain and no distortion, or at least as close. An amp that changes the sound can't be helpful, just as in speakers that change the sound can't really be things to judge what is fed into them?
My experience with the NS10s is that the amp powering them should have a massive amount of headroom. Hence, why I use a Bryston 3B.
I’m pretty sure that same philosophy would apply to other passive monitors as well.

Ah, yes, that’s where I’ve been going wrong? So, did Yamaha ever do a package? Perhaps this is why they never impressed me. I must try to get one of these amps. In all seriousness, This is the amp I use for my passive speakers, perhaps I should look at the 3B instead? I quickly checked the reviews and I must get a 3B, and a totally new set of ears.

The Levinson pulled ahead in reproducing the silvery sheen on cymbals in Jeff Beck's "Behind the Veil." On Richard Thompson's "I Misunderstood" (from Rumor and Sigh, Capitol CDP 7 95713 2), the 3B-ST revealed such midrange nuances as Thompson's plosive accent on the last consonant of every line. The Bryston 3B-ST also allowed me to hear the layering of textures in the mix on this CD. The No.331's slight brightness, on the other hand, woke the somewhat reticent Quads to give more depth to the sonic portrait.

hey sorry for the late response but the ns10s are extremely misunderstood i have them now with an adcom gfa 545 and it sounds hi fidelity compared to my vintage auratones. id say buy a pair when you get the chance and good news if you dont like them they will hold there value . they cover all your frequency ground unless your doing really low bass stuff and even if then ns10s will still translate . if you really want fundamental just straight midrange i reccomend vintage auratones 5c . yamahas have your fundamental high mids and lows with fast transient response you wont be dissapointed when paired with a vintage yamaha p2002 or adcom 545 amp
Grins.. Still using the Adcom 555 here :>)

Back