Alright what do ns10s sound like?

You might be far better off checking out some of the headphone software (apps?) made by Slate and and Acoustica. That seems like where things are going insofar as monitoring. It eliminates the need to have a good, treated room, though I would never get rid of my room a it is or my monitors. I mean, the NS10's are likely not worth what you're going to pay for them. You need an amp too, a decent one, to power it. Also, with advancing technology in speaker design, shop around and check out the myriad monitor speakers now made. You can surely find some really good, inexpensive monitors out there, and they'll be powered. Forget those old NS10s--if you've read the comments this far, you probably realize they're not worth the trouble.

Those speakers were a good reference for some of the crappy playback scenarios that were prevalent 30-40 years ago. Just like the auratones studios used to mimic clock radio and TV speakers. People listen to music in much different ways now, so it's kind of an outdated reference.

What would you use today then?

You might be far better off checking out some of the headphone software (apps?) made by Slate and and Acoustica. That seems like where things are going insofar as monitoring. It eliminates the need to have a good, treated room, though I would never get rid of my room a it is or my monitors. I mean, the NS10's are likely not worth what you're going to pay for them. You need an amp too, a decent one, to power it. Also, with advancing technology in speaker design, shop around and check out the myriad monitor speakers now made. You can surely find some really good, inexpensive monitors out there, and they'll be powered. Forget those old NS10s--if you've read the comments this far, you probably realize they're not worth the trouble.
oh ok have you tried the software yet is it any good? or is it artificial sounding?

I'm not a fan of NS10s, despite having used a pair from time to time for over 30 years. You need to learn how to work with them and we had a few inexperienced artists at the studio who had to come back and do a remix after going against my advice and using them for their mixes. If you don't have any other references then your ears will get used to them. After that, any good speakers will sound dull and your NS10 mixes will sound dull on any other speaker. However, since buying LS3/5as to take the place of NS10s at the studio we stopped having issues requiring remixes.

One thing that I have noticed is that decent monitors all sound reasonably similar with only fairly minor differences. If I'm using the big Tannoys I sometimes have to check that I haven't inadvertently switched to the LS3/5as. Both have amazingly precise imaging so the sound comes from right in front of you - nothing appears to come from the speakers. The only clue as to which one is being used is the amount of bass. I also had a pair of KH120s here for a session and they shared the general characteristics with the other speakers.

In contrast, the NS10s don't do stereo imaging - there is nothing convincing about their presentation (in my opinion).
i like how you explain why you dont like them thanks. how do the tannoys sound compare to auratones 5cs? and are you using the tannoy srm 10b?

I've heard a few different pairs of NS10's over the years. For what it's worth.....the only monitors I ever thought came close was a pair of Tannoy 501a Reveal speakers. Light on bass and strong clarity and accuracy in the mids and highs. I still have the Tannoy's although they're not my go to speakers anymore.

Mick
oh ok what is your go to now?

But like any speaker used for mixing, you have to learn them. Get lots of sources you like and listen, and listen, and listen.

Re: midrange

I’ve seen some tests where the Yamahas were compared with more expensive modern studio monitors. The NS10s did as good and in many cases better than the other speakers.

When your done and are fairly familiar with the speakers, try to make your mix sound like theirs. Feel free to reference the commercial track as often as needed.

One of my favorite records, “Tom Petty Wildflowers” was done to tape in Sound City studios with.........NS10s

I’ll used that constantly as a reference. And it’s kind of cool that I’m listening to it in the same speakers they heard it on. :)

In closing, the only way to really know what they sound like is to get a pair.

You may love em, you may hate them. You’ll find out.

Good news is you can always sell a set of NS10s. They are in demand.

Might I recommend if you go down that path to get a set of “NS10M studio”. Better crossovers, no tissues required, and they can handle a bit more power.

Ps. You need a good amp. I have a Bryston 3B.
There’s plenty of info on the net. Read up and pull the trigger.......or not ;)
i dont have too much money to spend right now could i just hook them up to my rega turntable solidstate amp?

I suspect that few people would want to have NS10 speakers as their main speakers. They were designed to be a contrast to good, full range and truthful speakers. Even Yamaha themselves knew they had quite obvious issues. They spent ages and many updates trying to fix them. You could do so much better with modern designs. One thing is certain. If you mix on them, other people will hear different things. Do you want that?

i dont have too much money to spend right now could i just hook them up to my rega turntable solidstate amp?
Give up on them. Rob will yell at you :)

But to answer your question, a good amp is important. If money is an issue I’d get something else. I know nothing about your amp except for I’ve never heard of it.

If only forums had AI - a little add on that just prevented people wasting money.

Seriously though - as I'm ancient, I've re bought so many things I sold when I was skint. Mics, reel to reels, instruments, but not once have I ever missed the NS10s.

I found this old picture from a newspaper from 1996 - Akai S01 sampler, Atari 520 with Cubase, Sony F-99A mic, Tascam 112 and NS10s. I've only just got rid of the sampler - the computer died years back and I'd buy another F-99A if one came up. Forget the NS10s.

Attachments

• 348426532_623372779841442_6292972032831714852_n.jpg
    348426532_623372779841442_6292972032831714852_n.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 2
What would you use today then?
Unfortunately, I'm beyond the end of my audio career, so even my Genelec 1031's are outdated. I had ns-10s from 1990 to 2003 and they were only marginally useful when I got them.

I haven't looked for budget monitors in a very long time, so I can't offer NY suggestions.

If I had to buy a pair of speakers at the price of NS10s, second hand - then based only on the pair I have heard, I would go for Adam T8, the active ones. What I would really like would be the Adam A77 - but they're too expensive for my budget. These I fitted into a studio I built and I was really impressed.

i like how you explain why you dont like them thanks. how do the tannoys sound compare to auratones 5cs? and are you using the tannoy srm 10b?

No idea - the nearest that I've used to Auratones are a similar sized pair of Dynatron speakers with single drivers. However, I've never got into working with "grot boxes" so the Dynatrons just sit there propping up other speakers. I'm using Tannoy Berkeleys - the little brother of the huge Ardens.

One thing is certain. If you mix on them, other people will hear different things. Do you want that?

That statement applies to any speaker you mix on. NS10s don’t have an exclusive on this phenomenon.

Other people will be listening on anything from a mono cell phone speaker, to ear buds, to two kids each sharing an earbud from one device where each one is only hearing half of the stereo mix, to your average home Bluetooth speaker, a cheap stereo system, a car stereo, or a 25,000 dollar high end audiophile setup.

We haven’t even factored in the physical listening environment.

So I contend that with any speaker setup used for mixing the end user will not be hearing the same thing.

Speakers sound the same in mono or stereo. The mix changes.

Also, NS10s never sounded good. They were used to bring out flaws in a mix that would be exposed on playback systems that largely aren't used anymore. Same with auratones.

There was never anything magical about these speakers, they solved a problem by being a reference for the many sub-standard ways people uses to listen to music.

Boom boxes aren't nearly as popular as the used to be and when was the last time anyone was listening to music on an am radio station through their clock radio?

That statement applies to any speaker you mix on. NS10s don’t have an exclusive on this phenomenon
That's what I thought when I first read the statement.
Other people will be listening on anything from a mono cell phone speaker, to ear buds, to two kids each sharing an earbud from one device where each one is only hearing half of the stereo mix, to your average home Bluetooth speaker, a cheap stereo system, a car stereo, or a 25,000 dollar high end audiophile setup.

We haven’t even factored in the physical listening environment.

So I contend that with any speaker setup used for mixing the end user will not be hearing the same thing.
I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, depending on what I'm listening on or in, there are always slight differences of the same thing. Certain headphones, buds or speakers will bring out slightly different elements in a mix. I hear things on one set of phones/speakers that don't come over in the same way on others.

Reactions: RFR
oh ok have you tried the software yet is it any good? or is it artificial sounding?
I have not tried it yet; I'm trying to decide if I'm going with Acustica's or Slate's. I'm not sure what "artificial sounding" would mean--if it's artificial-sounding (that is, if it didn't sound like the thing it's emulating) no one would use it. Slate creates some really good stuff (as does Acustica) and Slate's studio/room emulations via headphones is getting some really good reviews.

Speakers sound the same in mono or stereo. The mix changes.

Also, NS10s never sounded good. They were used to bring out flaws in a mix that would be exposed on playback systems that largely aren't used anymore. Same with auratones.

There was never anything magical about these speakers, they solved a problem by being a reference for the many sub-standard ways people uses to listen to music.

Boom boxes aren't nearly as popular as the used to be and when was the last time anyone was listening to music on an am radio station through their clock radio?
moniters arent supposed to sound good" im asking what do they sound like because iv never heard them. there still somewhat a standard to this day though for professional mixers thats a fact. you make em sound good on there to fix the midrange from what i know.

I have not tried it yet; I'm trying to decide if I'm going with Acustica's or Slate's. I'm not sure what "artificial sounding" would mean--if it's artificial-sounding (that is, if it didn't sound like the thing it's emulating) no one would use it. Slate creates some really good stuff (as does Acustica) and Slate's studio/room emulations via headphones is getting some really good reviews.
excuse me ignorance but why would you wanto emulate the sound of a room? we need to hear the sound were mixing not the room right? why would we need to hear any room noise must be why low volume mixing is the new rage? honestly ill probably use headphones but im still interested in the ns10 sound.

Back