All round home studio mic suggestions please.

hemmick reef

I am looking for a warm sounding mic to record vocals (male-soft sounding voice) and mic guitar cabs, maybe bass, in a very small home studio. Space is a problem so it will need to be a simple set up with no in between power supply.
I'm not sure how many mics need power supplies?

Obviously I would like to keep costs down but I would like to know my options so if I say less than £1000.

Thanks.

I would recommend the SM7b for the uses you mentioned. I wouldn't recommend it for acoustic instruments (except for kick drum, I guess, but I haven't actually tried it on kick drum). I have used it for male vocals and guitar cabs. I have not tried it on female singing vocals, but probably will. For bass, I almost always go direct (don't even have a bass amp), so I can't comment first hand. I've also used it for spoken word - both male and female.

It consistently makes good recordings that mix well and don't require much attention later.

Since you added "soft sounding" to your description, I'm not sure the sm7b is the best choice. I think you may be happier with a condenser. For "all around" use I think it's hard to beat the ksm44. C414 is a staple in this slot for many. In the end, find a way to try for yourself. That's the only way you'll know what works for you. No matter how many people praise a mic, there's always someone on the boards who tries it and doesn't like it.

not very, mics have a definite "sound" for which they are designed. While tweaking can be used readily, You can't make a 4040 sound like a 414 or an SM& sound like a T3.
What kind of preamp are using and what does the rest of your chain look like....

For 1000 GBP you could easily pick up the SM7B and choose from a number of excellent condensers.

If you are only wanting 1 mic then you have a lot of options with that budget.

Also, if it is to be limited to 1 mic, I think I would go with a large diaphragm condenser that offers multiple patterns and a db pad. Im thinking versatility.

Maybe something along the lines of an AKG C414 or an Audio Technica AT4050.

Last edited:
A large diaphragm condenser is never going to be first choice on a guitar cab. For one mic to cover the tasks you mentioned--I definitely concur with the recommendation of the SM7b.

A large diaphragm condenser is never going to be first choice on a guitar cab. For one mic to cover the tasks you mentioned--I definitely concur with the recommendation of the SM7b.

Yes, this one does seem good as a general home studio mic - the included foam wind sheild also helps simplify recording duties.

Back