Album afterthoughts

chamelious

www.thesunexplodes.com

First single off my bands album, put it on 480p or above and sound quality will be good. Obviously this is all mastered and printed now, i'm just after some thoughts for next time.

My thoughts:
I think all the guitars and synth turned out alright. The cymbals and the kick im quite happy with. The toms slightly less so, and the snare and vocals are the main issue. The snare we used to record with was 13" and quite thin, i think this was a lesson learned. Next time we plan to record with a bigger snare. The vocals seems to sound quite dead. We used an old Neuman U87, and we think there may be a problem with it, not sure if its operating at 100%

For anyone interested in any recording processes i'd be happy to elaborate, but i'll tell you now that in terms of expenditure, we only spend just less than £1000 making a 9 track album, and that includes studio time, mastering, 100 cds in digipacks being made. So with this in mind we are happy with the results we got, but obviously have an eye on the future.

Cheers

Edit: Incidently, all the gear in the video (minus the bass 8x10) is the gear that was used in the recording.

Last edited:
If I was mix/mastering I'd give the snare a bit more crack to it, it's a little dull-sounding to my ears. The rest of drums are a little lower in level, I don't know if that was deliberate but it's making the snare sound slightly out of place.
Other than that, sounds pretty decent to me!

Thanks, i think due to the tonal issues with the snare, its level has been boosted more than it should have.

im on a netbook so I dont have anything on mix etc...I just wanted to say youve achieved a high standard for what youve put in $$$ wise, sounded polished and pro to me...video, though generic, was good

You should stick it up in the video forum with a breakdown of what you used/did as itll prolly get buried in here and Im sure many will be interested

I had friends make a video who are prolly a level above you in those terms if its of any interest...it was done on a zero budget in some empty offices and works well

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ideo-production/friends-bands-video-329968/2/

Althought not my fav music genre, I thought the audio and the video were both plenty good enough. Yeah, the vid is nothing ground-breaking, but it will work for your band's fans.

My only criticism:

Incidently, all the gear in the video (minus the bass 8x10) is the gear that was used in the recording.

If Peavey is not giving you money, obscure, or at least tone down, the "Peavey" logo that looks like it's lit up with a freakin' blue LAZER. It's distracting, and really should only stay if you have a contractual obligation to keep it like it is.

My only criticism:

If Peavey is not giving you money, obscure, or at least tone down, the "Peavey" logo that looks like it's lit up with a freakin' blue LAZER. It's distracting, and really should only stay if you have a contractual obligation to keep it like it is.

I totally agree with this. I consciously avoid bringing any attention to any brand of anything that I use. I remove or hide all logos whenever possible. If they're not gonna pay me or give me free stuff, I'm not promoting them at all. My band mates however will whore themselves out with brand names all over their shirts like they're in Nascar without getting anything for it. They wear Gibson and Marshall t-shirts, I wear Tom and Jerry t-shirts.

It wasn't a conscious decision to promote Peavey, we just happen to use them. I think it looks just as queer to cover stuff up. Anyone who plays guitar will know a 6505 whether the Peavey words are covered up or removed, and anyone who doesn't play guitar won't know or care anyway.

I do have an enduring love for old cartoons. :o

Without obviously promoting this tangent, I must say - today's cartoons don't got jack-squat on what I was brought up with. Looney Tunes FTW!

Also... I thought your video and sound was very, very well done. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and for your budget, you got a screamin' deal. Good on ya, man.

. The vocals seems to sound quite dead. We used an old Neuman U87, and we think there may be a problem with it, not sure if its operating at 100%

Sounds pretty good to me. The vox are a hair dark, but actually sound pretty good. Maybe just try a little more harmonic enhancement next time. What pre did you go through?

I care. Peavey anything means it can't possibly sound good. :D

Lol, I cant own anything Peavey, the name makes me cringe from the days when they're stuff was garbage. The tube guitar amps are actually supposed to be good, but I just cant do it.

Back