Akai gx230/270 bias adjustmant help

Dartman

OK, I'm new here and just recently got a few Akai gx reel to reel decks, a 230d and a 270d. They're pretty similar machines electronically with the 270 being newer with soft touch solenoid controls and the 230 being mostly mechanical.
I'm try to bias these two for the tapes I have and the manual for the 270 list Frequency response adjustment and Bias Leak Adjustment. The frequency response adj. is a couple of variable caps, and the bias is two variable inductor slugs.
The Frequency response caps seem to do more then the inductors so I'm just trying to figure out if I'm supposed to tweak the inductors till the high end comes up about right first, or just do the caps as they change the sound quickly and go from muffled to bright pretty quickly.
I'm just using FM hiss from a old Yamaha tuner that also has a record calibration tone built in and so far just using the caps the decks seem about as close to the hiss as I can get without getting too hissy or distorted when playing back recorded FM music on the slower speed.
Any advise or tips would be appreciated as to whether I've got this right or I need to do it differently without a lot of test gear.:confused:

Back