Advice Needed!

jouannyr

Hello all,

I'm in the middle of setting up my 1st studio, and I'm at the point where I've started to think about recording drums (I've thought out most of the other stuff now!)

Basically, it's an analogue 8 track studio (soon to be 16 track!) and the only mics I currently posses are SM57's and SM58's.

I don't really want to use much more than 4 mics on my drum kit (I like simplicity!). And I was wondering what mic to get for my kick drum (I can spend up to the equivalent of around $400 on it).

I'm planning on using one of my SM57's on the snare (is that a good idea?).

My final query is what would people recommend I use for picking up on my toms and cymbals?? A list of models/makes would be cool, and would 2 mics suffice for picking up the toms and cymbals?

Cheers guys,

Rich

the Audix D6 is supposedly killer for kick drum @ $199.......

of course, the sm57 on snare.......

for overheads, Marshall MXL603's or Studio Projects B1's would be cool unless you wanna spend $$$$$.........

Cheers!

Cheers Gidge! Much appreciated!

How much would you be looking at for a pair of Marshall MXL603's or Studio Projects B1's? Roughly...... (doesn't have to be too exact on the price!)

When you said the cost would be $$$$.......... I wouldn't mind spending up to $1000 on them (for both of them, not each!).

Cheers,

Rich

Re: Cheers!

jouannyr said:
Cheers Gidge! Much appreciated!

How much would you be looking at for a pair of Marshall MXL603's or Studio Projects B1's? Roughly...... (doesn't have to be too exact on the price!)

When you said the cost would be $$$$.......... I wouldn't mind spending up to $1000 on them (for both of them, not each!).

Cheers,

Rich

pair MXL-603 w/shock mounts & case ~$199.00 . Kick drum mics, the D6 is good, an AGK D112 can be had on e-bay for $150.00.

Last edited:
with that budget for overheads, you may wait for more advice.....$1000 is outta my league:D

If you go with a pair of MXL-603s (or MK012) for overheads, AKG D112 for the kick, SM57 for the snare (good idea...you already have) you've only spent about $350 out of your $1000.00 budget. Use the rest to put toward good pre-amps.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

You've given me something to think about....... which is what I wanted!

Much appreciated.

Rich

Well, you're all set as far as recording equipment and microphones go. Admittedly, you will probably want to buy some different mics at some point that are specifically good for recording percussion, but you have everything that you'll need for a start. I think that there's a post in this forum somewhere which talks about good mic placements, in case you need some info in that area.

In answer to your question about what type of mics for cymbals and toms, The main method that I have seen is 1 or more dynamic mics positioned near the toms (just as you'd mic a snare drum, but with the mic "sharing" 2 toms) and 1, or ideally, 2 condenser mics over the drummer's head for picking up the cymbals/toms

Good luck!

Thanks!

Thanks for that Echoes, I'll have a look around for some stuff on mic placements, I've got some good books on the subject, somewhere!

One question though. Simman mentioned "Use the rest to put toward good pre-amps." ......... but would I necessarily need them?? I really don't understand pre-amps (Sorry!). The board I'll be using is a TASCAM520b with Phantom Power if that makes any difference...

Rich

Are you talking $400 for all the mics?

An RE20 is great for the bass drum..... and SM81's are awesome for overheads!
John

No, I wasn't really thinking of an overall budget for the mics really...... earlier on in the post I said I don't mind spending around $1000 for my 2 overheads.

My options for the overheads are the MXL603, SPB1's, MK012, or the SM81's...... I'll probably end up getting either the SM81's, or the MK012's...... unless anyone warns me off getting them.

Forget the part about the kick drum, I've bought an ATM25!!

Cheers,

Rich

:)

Back