ADK TC vs. Original Nady TCM1100

PhilGood

Juice box hero
Scored a deal on eBay for a TCM1100 for $90. Hell of a mic!! Not one of the new models, but an unused original 797 version. You can tell by the beveled ring at the bottom of the grill.

Since I am one to keep files around of the innards for my own edification I happened to compare the guts of this TCM1100 I have with pics I have of the circuit for an ADK TC tube mic (which you can get on eBay for about $600).

They are EXACTLY the same! In every way! Same circuit board, same components, same capsule, same grill. The ONLY difference is in the shell. The ADK has a straight body and a massive nut at the end. The Nady tapers in the body and has a tapered nut. That's IT!

These mics review very high in sound and quality. I've already modded one capacitor from an electrolytic to a high quality mylar, but I'm leaving the rest stock (after I also install a tube socket).

If you ever find one...GRAB IT!!!! Even if you pay more.

It's also basically the same as an MXL V77.

Remember, though, ORIGINAL 797. Not the newer Nady!

Good deal on a great mic!:)

Scored a deal on eBay for a TCM1100 for $90. Hell of a mic!! Not one of the new models, but an unused original 797 version. You can tell by the beveled ring at the bottom of the grill.

Since I am one to keep files around of the innards for my own edification I happened to compare the guts of this TCM1100 I have with pics I have of the circuit for an ADK TC tube mic (which you can get on eBay for about $600).

They are EXACTLY the same! In every way! Same circuit board, same components, same capsule, same grill. The ONLY difference is in the shell. The ADK has a straight body and a massive nut at the end. The Nady tapers in the body and has a tapered nut. That's IT!

These mics review very high in sound and quality. I've already modded one capacitor from an electrolytic to a high quality mylar, but I'm leaving the rest stock (after I also install a tube socket).

All those cheaper chinese mics are the same. Why do people think that putting a fancy name on it will fool anyone?

I am getting very tired of these mics.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is a "Fielo" mic not 797.

No, the newer 1100 and the 1050 and 1150 are made by Fielo. These earlier ones are definitely 797. I know these capsules and body parts like the back of my hand.

All those cheaper chinese mics are the same. Why do people think that putting a fancy name on it will fool anyone?

I am getting very tired of these mics.

Why? These are great sounding mics compared to the Shanghai ones.

Phil...Yes, you are correct...I had done extensive research at the time that MXL discontinued the V77, after purchasing 2 of the remaining stock of that mic...my research confirmed that those 3 mics were developed from the same design by 797Audio and were manufactured for MXL, ADK and Nady with slight variation...below are the responses I got back in Feb. 2005 directly from the man in charge at 797Audio..I had requested info about their OEM mics and these were his replies:

ME: Could you please tell me if you make any of the NADY (1050, 1100, 1150) or APEX (460) or ADK (51TC or TT) models...I know you make the best of the Chinese microphones, so I prefer to buy your quality products...I already have 2 Studio Project mics...Thank you for your kind assistance.

JM (797Audo): Yes, some of ADK expensive mics are from us A51TT, TT CE, TC, others not. Regarding Nady, we do not have business with Nady for nearly two years. SCM1000, TCM1100 are from 797 audio.

ME: Thanks for your kind response...I hope you continue to design products that make quality microphones affordable for us struggling musicians...I have a MXL V77 tube mic that I believe was originally your design...I love that mic...Keep up the great work!

JM (797Audio): Yes, V77, but you can not get anymore, because Marshall cancelled the Model . People needed cheaper ones, so Marshall turned to Southern China. Behringer B-1, B-5, B-2 are also not bad.

ME: I have one more quick question to ask you...I see your CR100 mic on Ebay for sale...is this a good mic?...it looks like the MXL V77...I would like to bid on it, if you think it is a good tube mic...thank you!

JM (797Audio): It is the same as MXL V77 and Nady TCM1100.
link here: http://www.797audio.com/cms/detail.php?id=6

...a similar situation that I found out about, involved the original runs of the RODE NT2...everything but the circuit boards were being supplied by 797Audio (capsule, casing, grill, etc.)...when RODE moved production of the NT2 to Australia, 797Audio offered Behringer the remaining inventory which was then used to construct the original B1 model...797Audio manufactured the complete design, later updated in the B2 model...not a bad mic at all, considering the low price...early B1 mics were very similar to the RODE NT2 which at the time was a big hit in the industry (considered a "poor man's" Neumann)...;)
...oddly, since RODE discontinued the NT2, 797Audio now offers what appears to be the same mic (I have an original NT2 and this mic looks identical) under their own OEM version: http://www.797audio.com/cms/detail.php?id=7

...even stranger is their OEM version of the original U95 (no longer made by Soundelux), formerly the CR-998...maybe we should try to put a group-buy together for some of these badboys: http://www.797audio.com/cms/detail.php?id=3

...recognize any of the other "usual suspects" on their OEM site:
http://www.797audio.com/cms/products.php?type=Condenser Microphone&page=1

Last edited:
...even stranger is their OEM version of the original U95 (no longer made by Soundelux), formerly the CR-998...maybe we should try to put a group-buy together for some of these badboys: http://www.797audio.com/cms/detail.php?id=3

OMG! Would you look at THAT! I wonder how much of the same design they are using from David's original version.

Sorry! Didn't notice this until just now. I think a group buy on this would be a fantastic idea!!

If not, maybe you could find out from them where they are retailing these.

...recognize any of the other "usual suspects" on their OEM site:
http://www.797audio.com/cms/products.php?type=Condenser Microphone&page=1

And it looks like we now know who was manufacturing the fake Oktava's.

And it looks like we now know who was manufacturing the fake Oktava's.

I don't see anything there that looks like an MK-012. The MK-012 has a capsule that is wider than the body. None of the mics on that page that I saw do. That doesn't mean they didn't build it, of course.... :)

The CR1-4 appears to be the Nady CM-90, though it might be the MXL 603.

The CR5120A appears to be the Astatic CTM-1000.

I'm not sure what the other two mics that appear to be SDCs are....

Back