Acoustic song - The Lost Words of a Poet

innerdream

hi everyone!

guys /gals, could you please take a listen to my new song, an acoustic, medieval, folky song - The Lost Words of a Poet - at my mixposure site

InnerDream - Home Page

Your comments are welcome as I haven't recorded many acoustic songs!

Cheers
Paul

Sounds really high quality. However, I do notice the compression a lot. For a song like this, I would recommend only a slight amount of compression to keep it even. You don't need to squash it. When the vocals come in, the guitars sound extremely loud. Knock them down in the mix. That's about it from me. Sorry, but I just don't have the patience to listen to a 7 minute song. :/

Good job.

I think the loud guitars may possibly be due to the very heavy compression. You really need to dial down the compressor on the master bus, you can probably see on the level meters that they hardly change. There's no dynamics here, and such a nice acoustic track should have loads but you can hear the acoustic hitting the limit of the compressor.
I really like the choice of delay setting on the drums. I'm going to go out a limb and guess that it's D-verb in Pro Tools or something similar? I don't really like the quality of the reverb, it sounds a bit.... grainy for want of a better word, not like a smooth natural acoustic which I think something so open needs.
Hit me with it... what was the reverb?

cheers for the comments guys - this was the first track where i've used my new compressor so was a bit trial and error but i do agree that it does sound a bit squashed - i didnt use any delay on the drums just the built in reverb on my behringer mixer - the other reverbs used was from the multitrack software i used Acoustica Mixcraft 5 - i did also use a limiter on the final mix

Back