Acoustic P&W Cover

DonF

Call Me "Grandpa"
I would rather post original material, but I figured if I wait until I write something good enough, I may never get around to it. So, here's my version of "Draw Me Close" by Kelly Carpenter.

I am severely monitor-impaired. Is this anywhere close to sounding OK?

Thanks,
Don

Links -- right-click to download:

Is this anywhere close to sounding OK?
You're way beyond OK.

Excellent performance... vocal expression and intonation, rhythm in all the parts.

My own taste, I'd like a little less bass gtr and a little more lower mids in the ac gtr. In fact, it might sound great to drop the bass part altogether and fill out it out with more low end from the gtr and piano. Just an idea. Vocal's could drop a dB maybe in the verses, IMO. The chorus would sound great with a lead guitar line running through it. Widening the ac gtr would make a nice nesting effect for the vocal.

Tim

Very good recording for my taste. I did think that the vocals sounded like they're a little closer than the piano. Maybe add some air to the vocals, a touch more reverb, or just some other trick.

Otherwise I like the vocals and the voice.

I like the original song also. :)

Tim: Drop the bass part??? Hmmm. I'll think about that. I might have to retrack the guitar, though, because the playing was a bit too sloppy, and the room way too noisy. (I can hear the computer noise in the mix!) Thanks for the other suggestions, too.

bigbubba: Yeah, I put some space around the piano; maybe it's too much. I want to maintain an "intimate" sound on the voice, though, so I'm reluctant to add more reverb. And I'm afraid that I'll make it sound too harsh if I try to add more air. I might give it a try anyway.

Thank you both for listening.

Don

Drop the bass part??? Hmmm. I'll think about that.
My reasoning for reducing the elec bass (or even dropping it) is that everything else is an acoustic sound (don't know if the piano is sampled but I mean acoustic in the functional aspect) and the elec bass feels out of place to me in its sonority. If it didn't stand out much it'd just add a little depth while keeping the all-acoustic feel to the arrangemenent. All subjective stuff surely and just my own taste but since I like the performance I'm just thinking out loud about its possibilities.

Tim

Understood, Tim. It's just that the bass is my new toy, and I'm having so much fun learning to play it!

Here's a new mix, with no bass, with a bit of gain-riding of the main vocal, and with low shelf removed from guitar and piano tracks:
Don

Wow Don, that sounds good. I appreciate it that you posted an alternate version. To me, all the levels and EQ balance are just right. I'm hearing just a bit of bass gtr in spots and it sounds good at its level. Everything highlights the main vocal.

Tim

Nope, no bass in that mix, unless I made a mistake. I think what you're hearing is a bit of boominess from the guitar.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Don

I have shitty computer speakers I am listening through, so please forgive the way I heard it, but the way I heard it was this....a great song, a great performance, bad recording environment. Your part was awesome, just hear a lot of vibrations and things that should not be coming through in the final mix. Love your playing and singing! :)

Thank you, Mr Monkey Allen.

As long as you bumped the thread, I'll post another mix. This time, I cut more of the low end out of the guitar. Until I did the "no bass" mix, I hadn't realized how much the guitar was fighting the bass. I think this sounds quite a bit smoother in the low end.

I also put in a cheesy drumbeat toward the end, in homage to the Katinas' recording of the song.

Back