acoustic-electric guitar for a beginner

sathyan

I am primarily a violinist and keyboardist but would like to learn acoustic guitar. In my experience, very cheap instruments are not worth buying as they are not setup properly for ease of play (action, in guitarist parlance) so the beginner gives up; at the same time, as I beginner I cannot rationalize buying a Gibson. So what I'm looking for is an acoustic-electric guitar that:
sounds decent
is not too frustrating to play
fits my $300-500 budget

what are some options to try?

my nearest superstore (WWBW) has these brands in that price range: Ibanez ; Alvarez ;Takamine ; Ovation ;Dean ;Washburn ; Fender ; Yamaha ; Gretsch

thanks,
Sathyan

PS If this has already been covered I'm sorry but "search" wasn't working.

Well Ive owned an Ibanez, and currently own a fender stratcoustic.
I wouldnt suggest a fiberglass/wood hybrid i.e the fender teleacoustic/ stratcoustic or any Ovation that comes in this flavor. Though they may look attractive because they are acoustic/electric and have relatively cheap price, the have very little, if any, tone. Ive played most of the ones you have listed and I would have to put Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez (for it price - quality) on the top of the ones listed. The two most important attributes when I look for an acoustic guitar is playability and tone, as long as I have those two I let the fingers do the talkin'. :]

1. Does it have to be acoustic-electric? The electronics in a cheap A/E aren't really worth the increased price, imo. You'd be better off spending the difference on a nicer guitar. Since you're just learning, I'm presuming you won't be gigging with it. If you need to use it live, mic it or buy a cheap soundhole p/u.

2. Shop used. $500 might get you a nice used Epiphone, or even an entry level Martin (like a D1).

3. Play everything in your local guitar shop(s). Lower priced guitars tend to vary a lot in terms of quality control, even between units of the same model. After you do buy, take the time to get it set up properly by a reputable guitar shop.

i got my martin j15 for 500.

just see what the shop has. bring a friend that knows how to play and listen to them and have him comment on them. if the acoustic guitar isn't in my hand, i can't tell you anything

Back