Acoustic/afro drum song

xfinsterx

This is a track from my new Project called Banditism. (myspace.com/banditism)

Its acoustic guitar, cajon, udu, shakers, chekere, conga, bongo, synth, and vocals. This is not a drum machine.

Everything was done with 1 mic (akg perception 120) into the 1 pre on my mbox mini. This is two people doing the project so everything was done in layers.

Plugs used were all waves and the bomb factory 1176.

let me know what you think, and thanks for the listen:D

-Chris

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=18572

Last edited:
this is crazy cool. i usually hate drum machine songs, but this was pretty cool. great vocals and cool panning with the shakers. and bongos sounded nice. the acoustic guitar is a really cool aggressive strum i really dig it. is it all acoustic cause it's all you got? if so it's pretty cool coincidence that it works so well for this song.

this is crazy cool. i usually hate drum machine songs, but this was pretty cool. great vocals and cool panning with the shakers. and bongos sounded nice. the acoustic guitar is a really cool aggressive strum i really dig it. is it all acoustic cause it's all you got? if so it's pretty cool coincidence that it works so well for this song.

It is not a drum machine. Its all real african drums man:)

Im glad you dug it man thanks for the listen!

Is there an African upright bass? Maybe I'm just used to that particular frequency being occupied. A little in the synth....but not there with the bass drum.

Interesting ideas. But it loses me when the gut-level beat gets spazzy...my body stops movin'. Everything says 'dig me' sometimes. Too many soloists...nothing supporting it.

Fantastic sounds...and a hot-in-the-top EQ...nice for my ears.

Not to be too critical....but when my body stops wanting to move, that tells me something's wrong. Motion is inspired by E-motion. Inspiring E-motion is the reason for playing and creating music. Especially Afro-Carribe stuff.

cool...liked the harmonies...does lose it a little bit when it speeds up,the percussion sounded a wee bit odd...id keep the tempo of the harmonies but de-clutter the instruments if it were mine...nice break as well...overall i think its a really good track, solid performance

Is there an African upright bass? Maybe I'm just used to that particular frequency being occupied. A little in the synth....but not there with the bass drum.

Interesting ideas. But it loses me when the gut-level beat gets spazzy...my body stops movin'. Everything says 'dig me' sometimes. Too many soloists...nothing supporting it.

Fantastic sounds...and a hot-in-the-top EQ...nice for my ears.

Not to be too critical....but when my body stops wanting to move, that tells me something's wrong. Motion is inspired by E-motion. Inspiring E-motion is the reason for playing and creating music. Especially Afro-Carribe stuff.

Though i do disagree respectfully. I can appreciate your tastes. And no this project does not incorporate sub type bass other than the 60 hz sine driving the bottom of the Cajon, and the occasional udu. I feel like you think the "Mix" is good. Which is the sole purpose for the post. This being the mix clinic and all. Thanks for the listen.

cool...liked the harmonies...does lose it a little bit when it speeds up,the percussion sounded a wee bit odd...id keep the tempo of the harmonies but de-clutter the instruments if it were mine...nice break as well...overall i think its a really good track, solid performance

Thanks for the listen :)

It's a little hot, like too much compression... but I like the groove, and the playing is spot on.

It's a little hot, like too much compression... but I like the groove, and the playing is spot on.

Im inclined to agree with you there. Ill back up the l2 a bit n see if that not only de-heats it but adds more dynamics too. Thanks for the listen rokket.

Nice! I'd like the drums a bit louder :D, i.e., other stuff (synths, etc.) a little bit down... Like more of a 3-D sound. I'd even like to listen to just the drum part (this is just probably me though :p).

Best regards, :)
PK

Interesting rhythms and the vocals are great. Loses me a little when the rhythm twists around on itself. I've no idea what cajon, udu, & chekere are but they're all blending well. Cool sounds and very original

this is really not a drum machine? were the drum hits sampled and then reassembled? it sounds so mechanic...

anyhoo... this sounds really cool. i love the creative use of stereo, layers and change-ups in sounds.

there are a few drum hits that sound like they start tripping over each other in a couple little spots (the few really fast consecutive hits)...like it's a little too busy, but that's just me.

very cool tune. well done.

Great recordings as usual Chris.
Sweet song also, and cracking performances, nice and tight.

Only thing I would say is I'd like to hear something to fill the low end as there is a space missing, but apart from that very nicely done!

Eck (ps. I added your new band on Myspace)

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/CRYSTALMIXING

Back