Acoustic #5 - Wait For It

lynx

New acoustic track, anybody out there??

"Wait for it" is an expression I commonly use with a couple of buddies of mine...I'd try to explain how we use it but it wouldn't make much sense, has to do with gambling I got the idea for the song when my nephew crashed his mother's car and he didn't even have a license. Kids today... Then I brought some other things into it by verse two.

This has to be the simpliest song I've ever written, there's a couple of decent lines in there but I'm curious to see how it goes over with other musicians.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3040&alid=-1

I think it is a cool tune,but the drum machine has got to go.
Everything sounds good except for that.IMO this tune would
really shine if it had some acoustic percussions,even if it was
just some bongos and some hand claps.
Good job.

I hear either comb filtering or a flange on the drums in the opening, don't know if it was intentional but I found it distracting.

The strings that come in at the closing (~2:30) are a great touch but need to be brought up in volume.

I thought the guitar track was great, nice choice of chords and the vocal line works well with those chords.

Another great tune from Lynx - what can I say? :)

I think I agree with the others about the drums, though. Just a little too distracting. I would try a different kit sound that sounds more like real drums, and simpler beats. A big draw of your music is how it's very intimate ... and adding too much percussion can sort of ruin that feel. At least that's what people told me about my own earlier songs w/ drum machines before I went with the simple approach.

I also like the strings that come in at the end - I'd like to hear what the song might sound like with the strings coming in earlier. You're probably right at putting them at the end, because they might compete with the vocals (which are definitely your main hook!).

Put me on the list for your CD when it's done!
Brendan

You really are starting to develop your own individual sound and these 5 songs really showcase your efforts nicely.

This one I REALLY like.
You seem right on top of your game with the mixing as well, no complaints in that department.

WOW...........I am just catching the touch of strings at the end.............Totally TASTEFUL:D

You truly got it going on my friend:D

I LOVE the harmonies in this!

I HATE the drum machine!

Get a buncha friends around the mike and have 'em clap hands and shake eggs for percussion?

Yeah egg shakers would be cool.

You should SHELL out for em :D Sorry just a bad yoke :D Another wiseCRACK :D Ok those were ROTTEN. OK I'll shut up, sorry its really late, somethings taken me over.

On the subject of the song, I'm unable to write anything right now, and damn I love the tune. The chorus is fab. Great stuff

Thx guys for all the listens. I'm fooling around with ditchin' the drum machine. :D

The guitar was double-tracked through the SM58.

I thought it was an condenser mic !!!

I'm really surprise of the quality of your acoustic with this SM58. I've always thought that the SM58s were good for voice and micing amp !

Greats

Nice guitar-sound!

As the others said. Ditch the drum-machine.

I think the vocals are a bit muddy and low-mid heavy, but that's probably just the SM58s

hey.

i listened to "really accoustic"

it seems you have a lot of compliments on this thread so good on ya for that.

however, in my own opinion, i didn't really find anything very great about the song.

i mean, there is really nothing awful about it, it just didn't do that much for me.

maybe i'm into stuff that have a little more things going on, it just seems too simple for me - maybe use a more complex rhythm part for the guitar would help. or maybe have another guitar playing some licks or hitting single notes.

also, you have a deep voice and i think the recording did it justice as i thought the voice itself sounded good. but i was thinking maybe changing the melody line a bit, it seems to me to be really repetitive, but i reckon you should use a verse or end of a verse or two to explore up the scale a bit.

the recording itself i thought weren't bad. couldn't see any performance or timing issues.

didn't like the strings in the end - can't explain why, just thought it was a little lame.

thanks for sharing.

Nice organic feel to it, i like the warm acoustic setting. I can hear the defined high end of the acoustic without any shrillness, i'd prefer the piano with just a little bit more touch of acoustic feel to it but what's there works as well. I had no problems with the congas but i though placing everything right was interesting.

musart - the mic is going to my mixer, mixer going to the soundcard. I'm using the mic settings I use for my vocals. I thought they were OK so I said why not?

sandwiches - I'll be the first to admit there isn't anything complex about this, just a simple little song really. Sorry it didn't do anything for you, maybe next song :)

Swede - thx for checking it out. You may like the non-drum mix better.

lynx: I am listening to the acoustic version as I type. It has a nice easy flow to it. Your voice is relaxed and it fits the groove of the song. I am getting a low boomy sound on the bass guitar. This came right to me because I get the same sound with my 1930 Kalamazoo 6 string regardless of where I put the mic in relation to the neck. I also use only my fingers. Walter

Thx Walter for the listen. I sometimes get that as well depending on what stereo system I listen on.

This is a pretty cool song. Great harmonies and a pretty good atmosphere throughout. But definitely work on the drum programming. That's a definite weak spot in your music.

Back