About to put it together

Roneil76

Ok, such a (noob) I don't even own a single piece of recording equipment. So far I see packages and bundles to get started. That seems good but for the fact that they all seem to lack enough mic preamps to record accustic drums?

I need to record:
Acoustic guitar
Elec guitar
Ukes
Banjo
Harmonica
Acoustic drums (large kit) need at least 5 mics but some songs would require more or less I would think

Price not much issue not that I'm wealthy just sayin don't wanna spend a million dollars on equipment that don't fit my needs nor do I want to cheep out and have same problem...

So I guess in short form I'm askin
What I would need to start up while makin purchases that make sence down the road for what I'm recording?

Packages? Bundles? A good start up?
Are mic preamps expandable?

Sure, I've read but found packages and bundles that, unless mic pre amps are expandable, they won't work for me.

Total noob so if something is "common knowledge" I still don't know it. Lol believe me the terms I've used so far (mic preamp and such) I m only half convinced I know what they actually mean! a 2 mic (audio interface) be expanded? Or any bundles that better suit my immediate needs?

I'm under the impression a "pre amp" is needed for every mic you wish to use to record a single track... I.e : Drums would need more than two for good accuracy? Even on a small 4 piece. But my drum/ percussion kit is large and in some cases I make a lot of use of much of it in which case I'd need at least 5 mics probably more sometimes.

Oh, I get the Noob thing. I like everyone else was there, and I guess I still am in some areas.
You are in a similar situation as I was starting out. Wanting to record my band, either individually or en mass.

A "preamp" is needed for each microphone, but they can be contained in an AI (audio interface). This is assuming you are going to be recording into a computer, not an analog tape machine.

You will need, enough microphones to capture what you are after. Note: Even a big drum kit can be captured with three or four microphones.

Once you know the maximum number of microphones you want to use, start looking at AIs that will handle that many mics.

Then you will need to decide on which DAW you want to use. This one comes down to a personal decision as some people love DAW X and a similar number hate it. Read.

I found that the Tascam US1800 AI fit my needs very well at a decent price point. It has inputs for up to ten mics and 6 line inputs simultaneously. Its well received around here. It also comes "bundled" with the DAW Cuebase.

Then some monitors to listen to while you are mixing your masterpieces. Again a very personal choice.

Hope this helps START your thinking process about what you are going to do.

Top Tip: Dont rush into it.

I just saw this the other day. The Tascam US-1800 is used and loved by several people around here, and has 8 preamps built-in. This bundle doesn't really add a lot to it other than a couple of cheapie MXL mics, some OK headphones, stands and cables. Might be better to buy mics that suit your particular needs, although these 2 MXLs are OK for their (low, low) price:

TASCAM US-1800 MXL Package | Musician's Friend

Ty mdainsd for info. Perfect!! Just what I was tryin to ask!!! :).

That tascam us 1800 has been the top of my list so far.

It looks like enough to get going and tinker with upgrades as far as mics, cables,

My music is basically clean & acoustic with some electric guitar leads (still typically clean tones)

Would the m- audio monitors (included) be a good starting point to at least gauge what I might want as an upgrade later?

Too? Is this (AI) expandable as far as mic preamps?

You don't need preamps, for example, for drums for 5 of the mics, I will use straight 1/4 no pre-amps. The overheads will get phantom and pre-amps. That leaves the rest of the Tascam for mic inputs. I am using a drum kit mic set, not sure how good it is, but these are mics just intended for drums.

I have an 1800 as I will be using for live sound and other uses.

Ty mdainsd for info. Perfect!! Just what I was tryin to ask!!! :).

That tascam us 1800 has been the top of my list so far.

It looks like enough to get going and tinker with upgrades as far as mics, cables,

My music is basically clean & acoustic with some electric guitar leads (still typically clean tones)

Would the m- audio monitors (included) be a good starting point to at least gauge what I might want as an upgrade later?

Too? Is this (AI) expandable as far as mic preamps?

You could expand the use of the AI (US1800) to take more microphones by getting outboard preamps for 6 microphones and running the outputs of those preamps into the line inputs of the Tascam. You could then support 16 mics at one time.

Monitors: Take your favorite CD and go to guitar center or where ever. Tell them to play it for you over a bunch of different monitors. Tell them not to tell you what brand is playing or what the price is. Pic the pair that you like the sound of the most. Then reveal the price. If it is too much, select your second favorite, etc. Repeat unlit you get to a pair that you can afford and that you like.

Great!!!

Will do with monitors great idea.
And very good to know its expandable!! That makes a big difference in the final decision

Those bundles are seldom GREAT deals - and typically they are missing some key ingredients, whether it be cables, mic stands or basic knowledge in how to set the whole thing up!

Bonus points to mdainsd's comments above: you can mic a drum kit with 4 mics - before you go nuts with 8+ mics on a drum kit, learn how to mic and mix. You'll go nuts trying to learn from scratch with a ton of tracks at one time. Don't rush into any purchase, look at everything an dask questions first.
What about your recording/mixing space? Have you read about acoustic treatment yet?

Those bundles are seldom GREAT deals - and typically they are missing some key ingredients, whether it be cables, mic stands or basic knowledge in how to set the whole thing up!

Bonus points to mdainsd's comments above: you can mic a drum kit with 4 mics - before you go nuts with 8+ mics on a drum kit, learn how to mic and mix. You'll go nuts trying to learn from scratch with a ton of tracks at one time. Don't rush into any purchase, look at everything an dask questions first.
What about your recording/mixing space? Have you read about acoustic treatment yet?

I'm debating my options on space
And I've done some reading on basic ideas and ofcourse looked at a ton of layout and charts. But I'm only a week into my study of this whole subject really

I have a couple of Presonus components (but not the one you are asking about) and their DAW. I have no complaints.

Try pricing your own bundle on eBay. I just did a quick search and found the presonus used for less than 200 bucks, throw in 4 used SM 57 mics (between 40 and 75 bucks each) add a couple of small overhead mics (believe it or not the MXLs do a pretty good job) and some mic cables and you can beat that price. I didnt check if the Presonus comes bundled with their DAW. Dont buy mic stands new. Craigs List always has em cheap.

I have a couple of Presonus components (but not the one you are asking about) and their DAW. I have no complaints.

Try pricing your own bundle on eBay. I just did a quick search and found the presonus used for less than 200 bucks, throw in 4 used SM 57 mics (between 40 and 75 bucks each) add a couple of small overhead mics (believe it or not the MXLs do a pretty good job) and some mic cables and you can beat that price. I didnt check if the Presonus comes bundled with their DAW. Dont buy mic stands new. Craigs List always has em cheap.

Ty much

Digital/Analog workstation. I guess he means their recording software.

If I had to guess: I think it's plug n play???? IDK LOL

In other words no additional software needed like pro tools or whatever. Just set up to PC & it reads it like plugging in a camera??? Again just a guess

Last edited:
When I read the product description for the "presonus 1818" it seems to be integrated with its own software??? I figure that means no added expense of (DAW Software) cause it's installed in the (hardware) ????

Lol I'm such a noob here sorry if dumb lol

When I read the product description for the "presonus 1818" it seems to be integrated with its own software??? I figure that means no added expense of (DAW Software) cause it's installed in the (hardware) ????

Lol I'm such a noob here sorry if dumb lol

That doesn't really make sense.
The camera analogy doesn't really work. If you think of it as a camera and you want to do photo manipulation it kind of works.

An audio interface (1818) requires drivers to operate. You need some sort of software to record into, and to edit and manipulate your recordings in.

Presonus have their own and include it with most of their interfaces. Studio one, right?

Back